HAL-Never Again

njsonja

I am really intrigued by this review. I cant figure out why someone would seem so positive pre-cruise, and then have every little thing upset them. I did a search on the OP's posting history to see if she wrote any similar reviews about her prior cruises. I found this quote she posted before another cruise....:eek:

Is that enough? lol....I can't wait to cruise...drink, eat, eat, eat, and eat. My husband had t-shirts made up that read, "It's been an hour, when do we eat?"

My point is, what was her expectation on amount and availability of food?

Good point. It's a funny thought, funny T-shirt, and clearly she has a sense of humor. But... :confused:

I really have no comment because I found the Noordam to have one of the BEST Ever Crews and fantastic service but this comment is definitely not accurate

What can I say? HAL clearly is not for everybody. It seems like HAL is a cruise line that you either hate or love. There is no in between. Obviously, the OP hated it. Hey, HAL is just not for her. No disgrace in that. She'll move back over to one of the lines she is more comfortable with, and all will be right with her world again.

Blue skies ...

--rita

.our last cruise two years ago on the zuiderdam was great but this cruise was not good.we missed two port and excusions and were given a 25% discount on a future cruise which we will not be using.

If you're not going to use it, please send it to me. :D

Not to open a can of worms but she mentioned her husband being a diabetic.

So is mine.

This can make the food selections more interesting to say the least.

You can ask HAL prior to cruise about receiving diabetic items.

But something you learn to live with is gazing longingly at food stations that you from which you cannot eat.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you feel about chicken, it is one of the main stays of my husbands diet.

Diabetic friendly meat if no skin.

That may be one of the reasons she saw the chicken so often?... :D

Tech--

I get your point - and as someone who is Celiac, I have to live with similar issues except mine regard wheat (Which sometimes feels like it's everywhere)

That doesn't mean I feel the need to flip out because the waiter offers bread night after night, nor do I feel the need to go into lengthy explanations when at dinner or in line at the Lido. We simply make our choices from what's on offer, make an occasional special request when appropriate - but most often, a smile and a simple "No, Thanks" is enough.

Not to open a can of worms but she mentioned her husband being a diabetic.

So is mine.

This can make the food selections more interesting to say the least.

You can ask HAL prior to cruise about receiving diabetic items.

But something you learn to live with is gazing longingly at food stations that you from which you cannot eat.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you feel about chicken, it is one of the main stays of my husbands diet.

Diabetic friendly meat if no skin.

That may be one of the reasons she saw the chicken so often ?

Food is so subjective but I do think it can vary from ship to ship within the same cruiseline.

Until we took a recent cruise on The Coral Princess, I would have said food was not that important to me , that it was the ship and ports.

But after 10 days of really terrible food in our opinion, we have come to realize that it is a very important part of our cruise.

While on The Coral, I was dreaming of HAL and their food selections. :D

Tech, my initial thoughts were very similar to yours on this subject; I'm not a diabetic, but I have many church members, friends, and some family members who are, so I'm aware of such matters. However, the OP doesn't say that the Lido lacked items that her husband could eat; rather, she stated:

The lunch at the Lido Deck every day was basically rotisserie chicken of some sort...just named differently. There were other choices but not main course choices that really did it for me. The food wasn't fantastic....the sugar frees were outstanding, just as an fyi.

While I don't doubt that this is all that the OP saw, it's a simple fact that such was not all that was there. HAL Lido offerings (for main courses) are FAR MORE diverse than a chicken dish. There are usually 4 or more options, including at least 1 chicken, 1 beef, 1 pork, and 1 fish option; and this doesn't count the Pasta, Stir Fry, Sandwich, salad, Pizza, and Grill options. There's a menu listing at the head of every line and it will list all the various options available.

RevNeal,

I agree with you. I just made a "mental" walk through the Lido. On a typical lunch day one would find:

Fresh fruit

Rolls / Butter

Meat / Cheeses

Cold veggie and pasta salads

Soup

Rotisserie Chicken

2 Carved Items (beef, pork, turkey, ham, etc.)

3-4 hot vegetable offerings

Potatos

Rice

2-3 hot entrees (sauteed chicken, fish, pork, etc.)

Pasta bolognese

Fettucine Alfredo

Garlic bread

Salad Bar

2 Stir Fry dishes

Steamed rice

Fried rice

Sushi

Cheeseburgers

Hot Dogs

French Fries

Sausages

Taco Bar

Nachos

Sandwich station with different meats, cheese, and salad special

This doesnt include room service, or the dining room menu

I just got home from the same cruise and I thought the service was incredible (12th cruise for me, 1st on HAL). I have nothing bad to say about the food at all and the crew was friendly and helpful. I guess I have a different view of the Noordam because I would sail again in a heartbeat.

Different perspectives from different people.

I sailed this summer with my parents on a large ship. I had sailed it before and loved it. I loved it just as much this time.

My parents didn't like it from the word go because they thought it was too big. They compared it to their small ship experiences and they just decided ahead of time that they weren't going to like a big ship.

Nothing weird or bad happened on the cruise. But I bet they tell their friends a whole different story than I do. Their suite was great. Their butler was great. But I think nothing would have satisfied them.

Don't get me wrong- they weren't complaining but I could tell they were looking for anything that could possibly go wrong.

I am younger and I think I focus on different things than my parents. So, it isn't that one person is right or wrong. Just opinions vary based on past experiences and expectations.

Ahoy!

Typical CD jokes:

If you've ever cruised, you'll recognize these jokes, or if you just going, listen for them!

The first time you see your cabin, you say, "What could be smaller than this?" Then you open the bathroom door!

"The pool must be ocean water. Look at the size of the waves."

The Letterman Top Ten list was adapted by comics for ship jokes, then stolen by cruise directors and now is used by all of them as the top ten dumb questions asked by passengers. "Will this elevator take me to the front of the ship?"

"Do these stairs go up or down?"

"How far are we above sea level?"

"Does the crew sleep on board?" (No, we tow them in the life boats.) "

"Do the ship generate it's own electricity?" (No, we pull an extension cord from Miami.)

To photographers: "If the photos aren't marked, how do we know which ones are ours?"

"Is the water in the toilet fresh water or sea water?" (I don't know, I haven't tasted it.)

"What do you do with the ice carvings after they've melted?"

"Is there music in the Disco?"

"What time is the Midnight Buffet

May everyone have a GREAT CRUISE! Happy Holidays!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

I am just curious which ports Grand Princess offers in the Med that HAL does not, since we were in the Med this year and doing a diff itinerarty next year?

We leave out of Rome, to Monte Carlo, to Livorno, to Naples, to Santorini, to Kusadasi, to Mykonos, to Athens, to Olympia, to Corfu and ending in Venice. Really wanted to see as much of Greece and Italy as we could.

I didn't see a Hal cruise that included all the ports in Italy and Greece.

Don't plan on going back again, this is the final big cruise, so really wanted to include both.

Good point. It's a funny thought, funny T-shirt, and clearly she has a sense of humor. But... :confused:

I am really intrigued by this review. I cant figure out why someone would seem so positive pre-cruise, and then have every little thing upset them. I did a search on the OP's posting history to see if she wrote any similar reviews about her prior cruises. I found this quote she posted before another cruise....:eek:

Is that enough? lol....I can't wait to cruise...drink, eat, eat, eat, and eat. My husband had t-shirts made up that read, "It's been an hour, when do we eat?"

My point is, what was her expectation on amount and availability of food?

I was on this cruise and have seen the OP many times on the ship. You couldn't miss her because she had a T-Shirt that said "I Hate People" and she wore it almost every single day. My wife and I witnessed her at breakfast one day in the Vista. She originally asked to be seated with other people when she checked in but wound up moving to another table near my wife and I. We didn't really pay any attention to her until she shouted to the Mater D' who was walking by that "she doesn't want water, take it away!" in a very rude manner. The water had been siting on her table for a while so it looked like she was waiting for a manager to come by to make a scene.The wait staff all looked at each other and rolled their eyes and laughed. She must have been a real joy to serve.

I was on this cruise and have seen the OP many times on the ship. You couldn't miss her because she had a T-Shirt that said "I Hate People" and she wore it almost every single day. My wife and I witnessed her at breakfast one day in the Vista. She originally asked to be seated with other people when she checked in but wound up moving to another table near my wife and I. We didn't really pay any attention to her until she shouted to the Mater D' who was walking by that "she doesn't want water, take it away!" in a very rude manner. The water had been siting on her table for a while so it looked like she was waiting for a manager to come by to make a scene.The wait staff all looked at each other and rolled their eyes and laughed. She must have been a real joy to serve.

OK, there is no way you can be sure that was her. That could have been anybody. Come on, now.

In fact...

On our last Noordam cruise (I keep waiting for Annabel to chime in here- she must be on a cruise) we were at a table of six- completely dysfunctional, as you can see if you read the review- and there was a couple.... famous quotes:

"No Ice!!!!!!!!" with hand over the glass and desperate look, as if to say "No icebergs!"

"Low sodium! What is the sodium content. Can I have LOW SODIUM SHRIMP?" The waiter handled this beautifuly, without missing a beat- "We haven't figured out a way to take sodium out of SALT WATER SEAFOOD..." These people were in their forties, healthy as oxen. They just want to get "used to" low sodium, to "try it." This went on for ten dinners and other meals we accidentally had with them. Seriously, every single menu selection had to be quizzed for sodium, then discussed with the poor waiter, and on and on.

How about this one? DH and I are sitting in the hot tub, alone, as the weather turns very cold on the way back up (January). They walk up, get in (hellos all around, secret groaning by us), and start whispering and worrying about something. Bubbles stop and I get up to push the button.

"STOP!!! The bubbles make her BURP!"

Now, what the...???

This was about the 100th wierdo issue that we had witnessed. I could go on here, but you get the message- Oh yeah, demanding to have cranberry juice with dinner. First night, waiter lists three other juices available. Scene with grumbling entire dinner. Next night he has it sitting there for her. On and on. Cranberry juice doesn't taste "right." No "thank you" for having it waiting there, of course not. Then we sit at Officer's Table on last night and the whole scene starts again with the new waiter, including shouting out, as though terrified, "WE DON'T EAT BAKED ALASKA! WE NEED TO ORDER OF THE MENU!!!!!"

Now, these two were on a B2B, this was the first leg. They had the cheapest cabin (nuttin' wrong with that) and were upgraded to a handicapped, but then had to switch for the next cruise. Grumble grumble. Every night we were regaled with tales of incredible cruises they took for like 400 bucks. Last minute bookings, who knows. Cheap? Were they cheap? You cannot imagine.

Last we saw them was when they got off the ship in New York to REFILL THEIR WATER BOTTLES at a hotel lobby and collect the $25pp credit because we arrived late. Should people on a B2B be able to collect that credit considering that they had no plans to disembark? Guess so!

OK, there is no way you can be sure that was her. That could have been anybody. Come on, now.

In fact...

On our last Noordam cruise (I keep waiting for Annabel to chime in here- she must be on a cruise) we were at a table of six- completely dysfunctional, as you can see if you read the review- and there was a couple.... famous quotes:

"No Ice!!!!!!!!" with hand over the glass and desperate look, as if to say "No icebergs!"

"Low sodium! What is the sodium content. Can I have LOW SODIUM SHRIMP?" The waiter handled this beautifuly, without missing a beat- "We haven't figured out a way to take sodium out of SALT WATER SEAFOOD..." These people were in their forties, healthy as oxen. They just want to get "used to" low sodium, to "try it." This went on for ten dinners and other meals we accidentally had with them. Seriously, every single menu selection had to be quizzed for sodium, then discussed with the poor waiter, and on and on.

How about this one? DH and I are sitting in the hot tub, alone, as the weather turns very cold on the way back up (January). They walk up, get in (hellos all around, secret groaning by us), and start whispering and worrying about something. Bubbles stop and I get up to push the button.

Now, what the...???

This was about the 100th wierdo issue that we had witnessed. I could go on here, but you get the message- Oh yeah, demanding to have cranberry juice with dinner. First night, waiter lists three other juices available. Scene with grumbling entire dinner. Next night he has it sitting there for her. On and on. Cranberry juice doesn't taste "right." No "thank you" for having it waiting there, of course not. Then we sit at Officer's Table on last night and the whole scene starts again with the new waiter, including shouting out, as though terrified, "WE DON'T EAT BAKED ALASKA! WE NEED TO ORDER OF THE MENU!!!!!"

Now, these two were on a B2B, this was the first leg. They had the cheapest cabin (nuttin' wrong with that) and were upgraded to a handicapped, but then had to switch for the next cruise. Grumble grumble. Every night we were regaled with tales of incredible cruises they took for like 400 bucks. Last minute bookings, who knows. Cheap? Were they cheap? You cannot imagine.

Last we saw them was when they got off the ship in New York to REFILL THEIR WATER BOTTLES at a hotel lobby and collect the $25pp credit because we arrived late. Should people on a B2B be able to collect that credit considering that they had no plans to disembark? Guess so!

It's true, you can't be absolutely sure that the woman ISEA saw on the cruise is the same person as the OP, but...

in another thread, the OP talks about how she'll be easy to recognize on board because of her t-shirt which says something like "love dogs, hate people."

Hmmmmm...

It's true' date=' you can't be absolutely sure that the woman ISEA saw on the cruise is the same person as the OP, but...

in another thread, the OP talks about how she'll be easy to recognize on board because of her t-shirt which says something like "love dogs, hate people."

Hmmmmm...[/quote']

Get out! Can you post the link?

It's true' date=' you can't be absolutely sure that the woman ISEA saw on the cruise is the same person as the OP, but...

Hmmmmm...[/quote']

She had that shirt on as well with a website address. In addition the person she was with who I assume was her husband had the T-shirt on that said "It's been an hour, when do we eat?"

She had that shirt on as well with a website address. In addition the person she was with who I assume was her husband had the T-shirt on that said "It's been an hour, when do we eat?"

OK, I believe you! WOW. I can't believe a CC'er would pull that nonsense.

Interesting thread this Monday morning.

Our HAL cruise was wonderful. But I have to agree with OP on one item.

We were seated one day at lunch in the dining room with a foreign family. It was extremely uncomfortable as they were just laughing and talking amongst themselves. We were there first, and had ordered, so ended up just waiting it out.

That brought on a discussion between me and DH. Would HAL seat a foreign-speaking couple/family with an english-speaking one? Would they know?

All I know is that if it ever happened to us for dining companions, we'd definitely change after the first evening.

Shay

In fact...

Now, what the...???

Yes! Obsessions can be a bumper.

So how were those bubbles entering her body? DH says she needed to move aaawaaay from the nozzle.

Thanks for the laughs.

Archived