Glacier Bay vs. Hubbard

Speedcouch

Hi,

New here and am planning our first Alaskan cruise for next September. Just trying to find out the pros and cons of the itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay over the one that goes to Hubbard Glacier.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Just too many choices to make!

Thanks!

I went to Glacier Bay and enjoyed it very much. I have not been to Hubbard, so I can't compare, sorry.

If you browse or search the Alaska msessage board you will find many discussions on this topic. I found the Alaska board very helpful in planning my cruise.

In either case, I bet you will love Alaska!

Hubbard is five times as wide as Glacier Bay's Margerie, and we were much more impressed by Hubbard ... but G.B. offers many other smaller glaciers, and is not to be missed either. Just pick one for this year, and plan to go back for the other! :)

On a good day Hubbard has it all over Glacier Bay; on a bad day all bets are off.

If the weather cooperates the sail up Yakutat Bay to Hubbard has to be one of the most beautiful rides in the world. The "WOW!" factor is there under optimal conditions.

On a good day Hubbard has it all over Glacier Bay; on a bad day all bets are off.

If the weather cooperates the sail up Yakutat Bay to Hubbard has to be one of the most beautiful rides in the world. The "WOW!" factor is there under optimal conditions.

I am with you, on this. Hubbard is spectacular in good weather. September may be wonderful but more than likely it could be foggy and wet. September is the value season in Alaska, for a reason.

calving-772756.JPG

Hubbard glacier, from the rail, in September. As I noted at the time:

"It's overcast when we get up, and getting darker by the minute but around 1, the skies begin to lift and it's much brighter as we start to enter Yakutat Bay. While the sun never does come out, the weather is crisp and clear for our slow approach to the face of the glacier. In fact, we get much closer than we did in 2000. There's also more calving this time."

People always think that the Alaska trip will be a once-in-a-lifetime thing, but it calls to you and you have to go back!!

I have a soft spot for GB, since I was there in 1989 and there I saw whales (humpback) for the first time in my life. Started a kind of obsession with whales, and I don't consider a summer complete if I haven't seen some kind of whale.

I did two cruises this summer, one going to Hubbard and the other to GB. They were both great, but I agree Hubbard is the most "impressive."

They are definitely different experiences. My first Alaska cruises in 1986 and 1996 both did Hubbard Glacier and it was spectacular. But I'd always heard how wonderful Glacier Bay was so that was the requirement for this years cruise. And I must admit I was slightly disappointed. Most of that was probably that we had very poor weather that day. It was so foggy for the first part of it that we couldn't see much of anything. We got a good view of Marjorie Glacier but there was almost no calving (one large one as we were leaving and most of us had gone back in). It was still a great day and I'm sure I was just expecting too much. I hope to go back again in a couple of years and see them both again. And either of them is better than not being on a ship in Alaska!

Note both trips to Hubbard were in Sept (Labor day week) and we had great weather. This years trip was in June and we had great weather in port but the sea days were not as good. Luck of the draw and it's beautiful either way

Boy, you dive right in with the hard question. ;) Welcome to the CC!

We have done both and they are very different experiences. We've only been to Hubbard on one cruise. What you will (may) see is much more massive than anything visable at Glacier Bay. Another thing to keep in mind (in addition to the warnings about weather above) is that since Hubbard is such an active glacier, there have been times (some times, loooong times) that the ships are unable to safely get very close to the glacier.

The year we went to Hubbard, the glacier had advanced enough that it cut off the inlet nearby - creating an ice dam. For most of that summer, ships were unable to get close. I 'think' they stayed about 5 miles away, because no one knew when the ice dam was going to break - and no Captain wanted to have his ship there when the resulting wall of water/ice spewed forth. Well it broke during the night a few weeks before our cruise (late August), so we did get the views almost all the other cruisers that summer missed.

Another thing about Hubbard, you'll be there for a few (but wonderful) hours. Since you asked this question, I've been trying to remember what we saw the rest of the day. I can not remember, so it couldn't be anything too stupendous.

We've been to Glacier Bay four times. Our first time was in 1980 and we are VERY glad we saw it then. Things have changed. Many of the smaller 'hanging' glaciers we remember from that trip are no longer visible - or completely gone. We have been to Glacier Bay in sunny and grey weather. Both are quite beautiful. We've enjoyed the entire day sailing around seeing mountains peaking out among the clouds/fog or just glowing in the sun. Around each bend is a new vista - and often another glacier or snow capped mountain.

Either way is a great cruise and you'll see more than if you'd stayed home. ;) Frankly, we'd pick based upon whether we'd go to Sitka or Skagway (our choice).

Have a wonderful cruise!

I have never been to Glacier Bay, but I have been to the Hubbard Glacier three times. The first time was a short visit because a storm was comng in. I had really looked forward to it, but was disappointed because the weather was not good and our stay was so short. The next two visits were two of the most incredible days of my life. Our second visit was in September. The weather was incredible. As we approached the bay from the north the Captain said he knew we were in for an incredible day because he could see a range of mountains for the first time that season. He was right--it was incredible. We got close to the glacier and there was a lot a calving. I figured it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Almost two years later we returned in May. Again, we had wonderful weather. We got within a mile of the glacier. There was even more calving than on our previous visit. We left by sailing around the island to the starboard side when you are facing the glacier. It was even more incredible than the previous visit. As we sailed out of the bay the captain told the passengers that in all his visits to the glacier this had been the best day he had experienced.

We are returning to Alaska this summer. We had hoped to go to Glacier Bay for a change, but the itinerary that works best for us also goes to Hubbard Glacier so I'll see it for a fourth time. Even though I'd like to see Glacier Bay I'm really looning forward to returning to the Hubbard Glacier in June.

Nobody has mentioned:

We sailed Glacier Bay, but it was five years ago.

Then Park Rangers boarded our ship, Veendam, provided

narration and were available for individual contact.

They also set up shop in Crow's Nest selling souvenirs and stamping passports with Glacier Bay "visas".

The Park Rangers visit made it a very special day.

Don't they still do that?

Nobody has mentioned:

We sailed Glacier Bay, but it was five years ago.

Then Park Rangers boarded our ship, Veendam, provided

narration and were available for individual contact.

They also set up shop in Crow's Nest selling souvenirs and stamping passports with Glacier Bay "visas".

The Park Rangers visit made it a very special day.

Don't they still do that?

Yes, the NPS park rangers board the ship at Bartlett's Cove.

Thanks to everyone for your input! I went ahead and booked the one that included Hubbard. I like the 6 Sep 08 sailing date best. We'll be on the Oosterdam and though it's nine months away, I'm already getting excited about it!

Don't know about going back to Alaska for a 2nd trip. You don't know my husband! It was a battle getting him to go on this cruise. Last one was in 2003 and I had the same battle, but he loved it after he got there. :-)

Thanks again!

Glacier Bay is simply stunning! It is a World Heritage Site, and deservedly so. The entire geography of the region is amazing and the many different glaciers, and different types of glaciers, are very interesting. The fact that it is a National Monument, and the commentary from Park Rangers, add a great deal to the experience. We have been there several times and would go back many more!

OTOH, our last trip included Hubbard Glacier, and we found it to also be amazing! We were fortunate to be able to get very close to the glacier.

While I think everyone should get to Glacier Bay, I would not hesitate to recomment Hubbard Glacier also, if the itinerary is otherwise what you want. I know you will have a GREAT cruise!

Check out our page below for pics and reports of several trips to Alaska, including Tracy Arm, Glacier Bay and Hubbard. In particular there are good pics of Glacier Bay at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/alaskaZ.html

and good pics of Hubbard at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

Archived