Would you pay more for?

standby 06.30

Suggesting that we would be willing to pay more on an optional basis for more upscale services in my view is a slippery slope - that could encourage cruise lines to reduce the level of services provided for the basic fare over time. I would rather have them up the basic fare and give us more for our money. I am not a fan of Cunard since it distinguishes level of service by cabin category and now Celebrity is going along the same direction with its new "spa cabin category". These are steps backward not forward in my book.

I don't think that the OP suggested a completely seperate class system which I agree is likely to be a doomed idea to go back to.

But I think the OP has a good idea there, in general. Sort of like the airlines' lounges type of program (Admiral Club, etc)? Some extra features that involve an extra price that passengers on the mass lines could choose to pay extra for as a package (or not) to boost their personal cruise experience from mass to a bit below luxury.

Better quality food. (something in between general dining room but not quite specialty)

Strict dress codes. (yes yes yes yes yes!!!!!!!!)

No singing and dancing waiters. (definitely, if they sing & dance the food is getting cold in the meantime)

With a senior ships officer at your table on Formal nights. (that would work very well in this type of concept if you have 2 formals)

Room sevice to match. (Yes please, but a bit more difficult logistically. Would need a seperate # and seperate menus in rooms)

More interesting days at sea with demonstrations other than napkin folding and ice carving, plus guest lectures. (Make these REAL guest lectures with a bit of bite in them - not fluffy like current offering, but this should be in general not only as an 'upgrade')

A pool area with no children, no chair hogs, no drunks. (I would just say a seperate area sure, but everybody (from the program) welcomed but must behave properly)

Aseparate entrance to board the ship and to leave by. (plus dedicated elevator)

Exclusive tenders so no long lines (at least during peak times)

A seperate indoor Bar and lounge with a small dance floor with a quality band, and some good artists. (I suspect that this might not fill up enough; however, an alternative would be a "quiet" bar with some non-pop music (jazz, bossa nova, classical, etc.) open to general public)

No smoking (Won't comment here; enough electronic damage has been done on these boards on this subject)

Here are some additions:

Hot water kettle in room and/or coffee maker with a selection of proper brands of coffee and teas (replenished throughout cruise)

Nightly canapes in room (Items rotate so it isn't always the same)

Ability to bring any licor on-board for private in-cabin consumption

Private sail away party at choicest area of ship.

Availibility of special breakfast items (steak & eggs, etc) in that special restaurant

How does this differ from NCL now?

Suggesting that we would be willing to pay more on an optional basis for more upscale services in my view is a slippery slope - that could encourage cruise lines to reduce the level of services provided for the basic fare over time. I would rather have them up the basic fare and give us more for our money. I am not a fan of Cunard since it distinguishes level of service by cabin category and now Celebrity is going along the same direction with its new "spa cabin category". These are steps backward not forward in my book.
Your choice, but how can you be on a "slippery slope and then take a backward step?" regards

Archived