Would you pay more for?

standby 06.30

Do you boycott airlines that have facilities? regards

Not the same thing, but, certainly a fair question! No, I don't.

Most airplanes (minus puddle jumpers) have a first class section (industry standard!) and they actually have the rest of us walk thru it to get to our seats. They don't make us climb thru the cargo hold to board. I don't fly first class because it's not worth the extra money to me. Perceived value added doesn't equate with the additional cost. For Me.

My opinion only, air travel is simply transport but a cruise is a vacation. Air for me is occasional necessary evil. Cruise is the destination, the desired goal.

I would never decide to spend a vacation On An Airplane. I would be interested in hearing from someone that did make The Airplane their vacation destination?

We would pay $500 each ontop of your balcony to get this for a seven day cruise? or how much would you pay?

I would and I do already. It's called luxuary lines - Silversea and Seabourn. You don't see any lines for tender or buffet. No chair hogging by the pool. If there's no chair in where you want, a deck steward will set one up for you. Kids are generally well behaved. And contrary to what people think of all-inclusive lines, no drunks. I've never seen one, while I've seen drunks on Princess and such. To me it's well-worth the price.

Even Cunard Queens Grill doesn't have a separate lounge with its own quality band that I know of.

Separate lounge on QE2 for Grill pax, appropriately named Queen's Grill Bar and Lounge. They have a combo play at various times, but usually more in the line of violin, cello, etc. Definitely not dance music.

I would never decide to spend a vacation On An Airplane. I would be interested in hearing from someone that did make The Airplane their vacation destination?

Singapore Airlines first flight nonstop from EWR-filled with airline fanatics. The longest airline flight in the world. The flight WAS the destination.

Airbus 380 first flight-Singapore Airlines-Singapore to Sydney. Some paid as much as a Queen's Grill cabin on a Cunard World cruise. http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/25280/

http://ahboon.net/2007/10/18/private-honeymoon-suite-on-airbus-a380/

The A380 Airbus publicity tours that have been taking place

Emirates Airlines newest suite configuration-tickets were sold out of Dubai for prices in excess of $50,000pp.

May not be your cup of tea, but there are a lot of people that find the flight and the airplane the destination.

I would and I do already. It's called luxuary lines - Silversea and Seabourn. You don't see any lines for tender or buffet. No chair hogging by the pool. If there's no chair in where you want, a deck steward will set one up for you. Kids are generally well behaved. And contrary to what people think of all-inclusive lines, no drunks. I've never seen one, while I've seen drunks on Princess and such. To me it's well-worth the price.

The catch is $500.00pp for some extra goodies. Other than Seabourn's spring and fall transatlantics, even including all the booze and perks, I have never been able to price compare a Seabourn cruise to a Celebrity cruise in an FV cabin (including the extra $1000.00 for "goodies").

Seabourn's SA cruises from Valparaiso to BA are about $13,000pp for 19 days. X FV cabin (with the BIG balcony and extra room) is about $3,000pp, a suite is about $7000pp for 15 days. Even with onboard charges last December of over $2000 (most bar bill), I still cannot justify the extra expense.

What the OP is requesting makes perfect sense in financial terms for the cruise line and puts the "almost luxury" cruise experience within reach for those that want it.

The catch is $500.00pp for some extra goodies. Other than Seabourn's spring and fall transatlantics, even including all the booze and perks, I have never been able to price compare a Seabourn cruise to a Celebrity cruise in an FV cabin (including the extra $1000.00 for "goodies").

Seabourn's SA cruises from Valparaiso to BA are about $13,000pp for 19 days. X FV cabin (with the BIG balcony and extra room) is about $3,000pp, a suite is about $7000pp for 15 days. Even with onboard charges last December of over $2000 (most bar bill), I still cannot justify the extra expense.

What the OP is requesting makes perfect sense in financial terms for the cruise line and puts the "almost luxury" cruise experience within reach for those that want it.

Thank you, you have understood my post in which I repeat (not for you) we are lucky we can and have sailed on upscale lines but we find them to sedate at night, we like the buzz of the mass market lines at night, I am 56yrs and my beautiful wife is 42yrs and we both like to "party" in the Disco, every other night we like to stay up till 3am or later, we are on holiday, the next day we are ready for a pool area that has no chair hogs, drunks, or kids.

What I suggested was we would like the ability to indulge in this, when and if we want to, or stay in the calmer waters if not.

regards

Good for you so do we, read my post. regards

Not the same thing, but, certainly a fair question! No, I don't.

Most airplanes (minus puddle jumpers) have a first class section (industry standard!) and they actually have the rest of us walk thru it to get to our seats. They don't make us climb thru the cargo hold to board. I don't fly first class because it's not worth the extra money to me. Perceived value added doesn't equate with the additional cost. For Me.

My opinion only, air travel is simply transport but a cruise is a vacation. Air for me is occasional necessary evil. Cruise is the destination, the desired goal.

Transatlantic flights to get on a ship are part of our holiday, so we chose to make it as comfortable as possible.We will make three this year, plus other flights to Europe for buss and hols

Perceived value, good food, good service, a seat that you can lie down on and sleep, no lines to use the toilets, speedy entrance and exit.

Your choice, but are you not being hypocritical, by saying you would boycot a mass market ship that would offer this product for pax who might want it, or is there another explanation for your chagrin. regards

.....Somebody else use the word "steerage". What is that.

That is the class that Leonardo DiCaprio sailed in the movie Titanic ;)

Steerage refers to the lowest decks of a ship. This area of the ship was once used to accommodate passengers traveling on the cheapest class of ticket, and offered only the most basic amenities, typically with limited toilet use, no privacy, and poor food. The name "steerage" came from the fact that the control strings of the rudder ran on this level of the ship.

No...nothing turns me off more than a business catering to people who think they are "better" than everyone else.

I am right behind you on this.

Let it be said here that I cannot stand snobbish people. Others may be kinder or perhaps the same type. But I beleive most people would find that being snobbish is offensive to others.

Chaseft, thanks for the explanation.

Again the yester years which others think themselves as landed moneyed gentry and others as peasants and they are superior to these others.

It seems that many of today's travelers very strongly want things to "appear" that there is no class system - even though there certainly is.

But it must be carefully hidden, and not advertised.

I always fly Business or First Class.

I always stay in 5 Star Hotels.

I only book suites on Ships and in Hotels.

I only eat in the Best Restaurants ashore.

I will only take box seats at the Theatre.

Do I meet better people in these places? Rarely.

Do I feel superior in these circumstances? No.

Am I worth the cost of the extra comfort and luxury? Definitely.

Do I enjoy myself? Most assuredly.

I spoke with actor Tom Hanks last year. During our conversation I asked him what was the most enjoyable part about being a movie star. He smiled and said, "Turning left when you step aboard an airplane."

No...nothing turns me off more than a business catering to people who think they are "better" than everyone else.

Ah, but all business has and always will cater to those who are willing to pay more to get more, regardless of the consumer's personal motivation.

Does it really matter why the next guy chose to pay more for better and/or expedited service? We all can enjoy the same privledge when we are willing to pay for it.

It seems that many of today's travelers very strongly want things to "appear" that there is no class system - even though there certainly is.

I spoke with actor Tom Hanks last year. During our conversation I asked him what was the most enjoyable part about being a movie star. He smiled and said, "Turning left when you step aboard an airplane."

You are the one person I have respect for.

Succint.

We have no loyalty to any cruise line so our second cruise this year because we had to be in Miami for various reasons as well as a break.

We decided to take a cruise with Carnival, not noing much about the line, (we never like to judge without trying the product) and it was the only cruise that fitted into our time line.

The room we booked came with VIP status, unknown to us until I read the E Docs.

We found the experience rather gauche, it embarrased us to be paraded past the massive lines, we also found some of the comments in the VIP lounge about the "other pax" rather vulgar.

We have never wanted to " parade the fact that, we like you "can afford the products you list"

As you understood we would like to use our hard earned money to buy a product that would appeal to us, and we just wanted to see if there were any like minded op's.

It was also based on a number of threads that eluded to the "hankering" (no pun intended) for the quality of the past.

We also took into the account the number of threads that complain about,

Long lines, smoking, bad behavior, chair hogs etc ect.

As my wife and I agree with the person who stated " the best Island in the Carrib has propellors" we would like one that meets all our needs.

Thank you for response. Best regards Steve & Marina.

I think Walmart proved that most folks will not generally pay more for an item of better quality or special service. The cruise lines are catering to the majority. There are already small lines that cater to the specialized market.

The folks not happy with the mass market cruise lines are really not happy with the market demographics not the cruise line. The cruise line is just making the majority happy thats why they don't enforce their "guidelines".

So yes, I would pay more for some things that I appreciate, the problem is how much more and do my favorite items match alot of others to keep the price down. cost/dollars always the bottom line.

It seems the OP enjoys the amenities of the luxury lines, but not the night life.

Perhaps an easier solution would be to petition the luxury lines to provide a better night life.

OR

Book a themed or group cruise on a luxury line that might appeal to a more party atmosphere. Maybe a 30th anniversary of disco cruise.:D Sign me up for that one.

I don't believe the OP's ideas are snobbish. Since when is it snobbish to want the rules enforced and some different venues of entertainment offered?

There is nothing snobbish about wanting to hear a lecture on literature instead of a hairy man's contest. It is simply a different venue. The OP did not say better or worse...just different.

I agree.....I did not find the OP post as "snobbish" at all. Different people like different things. Nothing wrong with that at all.

There are many things on the OP list that I really don't care about and would not pay extra for. But, I WOULD pay extra for an adult-only pool/hot-tub area where the no-kids policy was enforced---a quiet pool area where you could actually rest and relax without hearing "Marco-Polo"! :rolleyes:

It seems the OP enjoys the amenities of the luxury lines, but not the night life.

Perhaps an easier solution would be to petition the luxury lines to provide a better night life.

OR

Book a themed or group cruise on a luxury line that might appeal to a more party atmosphere. Maybe a 30th anniversary of disco cruise.:D Sign me up for that one.

About 30yrs ago when I was 26 I bought a house in Clearwater near Tampa as a holiday home, it was fab, the weather, the sea, boat in the boat dock.

It was so boring after 6:30 pm that we would drive to Miami for a good night out, and it was very wild then.

We have been on a number of "luxury" cruises that were like a ghost ship after 11pm.

AS for group cruises, I would never join a group that would have me.

Thanks for the reply, regards

.... But, I WOULD pay extra for an adult-only pool/hot-tub area where the no-kids policy was enforced---a quiet pool area where you could actually rest and relax without hearing "Marco-Polo"! :rolleyes:

While this is a terrific thought, I would kick it up a notch :D and absolutely pay a premium for a completely child-free ship. I love my own, lol, but can barely tolerate anyone elses....the little darlings. Marco Polo notwithstanding ...running up and down stairs, elevator games, walkie-talkies blaring, pool misbehavior. The list goes on and on.

It's for this same reason that I pay for a "quiet car" when traveling by train on business between NYC and Washington DC.

It's not a matter of snobbishness or a sense of self-importance...in the great scheme of things I'm no better or worse than anyone else. I just like what I like, and if I can afford the few extra bucks to get it, then fine.

And I love BruceMuzz' post. Eloquently true.

Singapore Airlines first flight nonstop from EWR-filled with airline fanatics. The longest airline flight in the world. The flight WAS the destination.

Airbus 380 first flight-Singapore Airlines-Singapore to Sydney. Some paid as much as a Queen's Grill cabin on a Cunard World cruise. http://www.newswiretoday.com/news/25280/

http://ahboon.net/2007/10/18/private-honeymoon-suite-on-airbus-a380/

The A380 Airbus publicity tours that have been taking place

Emirates Airlines newest suite configuration-tickets were sold out of Dubai for prices in excess of $50,000pp.

May not be your cup of tea, but there are a lot of people that find the flight and the airplane the destination.

AWESOME!! Thank you for providing that!

Incredible aircraft!

Your choice, but are you not being hypocritical, by saying you would boycot a mass market ship that would offer this product for pax who might want it, or is there another explanation for your chagrin. regards

I don't believe so.

Air and cruise are separate animals for me. I fly as infrequently as possible, choosing to drive whenever I can. I accept the mass market cruise lines as they are, so there is no boycott. I accept air travel for what it is. no boycott.

I won't buy a Ford because of the Pinto fires. I won't shop at HH Gregg because of deceptive sales tactics. I won't go to Precision Tune because they install used parts and charge as if they were new. I don't go to Walmart mostly because their service stinks, but I also don't support their withholding insurance from so many staffers.

Businesses can do as they please, and I can vote with my wallet. And I Do.

Mass Market lines are there to appeal to, well, The Mass Market. That happens to include the drunks and chair hogs and belchers and farters, plus all the well-mannered folks. I accept that. It's a big ship, I have never had a problem distancing myself from those I'd rather not be around. You seem to want to carve up the audience to suit your preferences, but only if they pay the bribe. I don't find it to be a wise business decision and would withhold my purchasing from them as my way of showing I do not agree with the policy.

If the next time I board I'm told that what lies behind all those velvet ropes are only for those who paid the $500, um, "Upsell Luxury Package" (don't know what you would name it) I would be upset because in the brochure and online I read about all those wonderful lounges and expected to gain entry as they were included in my cruise ticket. Cruise is All Inclusive (yeah yeah, drinks, pics, there are extras). You are trying to exclude some and determining that more money would exclude the drunks and chair hogs, etc. not only do I not buy that argument, I'm not in favor of implementing it On A Mass Market Cruiseliner. Barring entry to parts of the ship preferred by those who have ponied up the extra $500 is distasteful to me. I think that's the jist of it for me - I find the idea distasteful.

I think you would have an easier road by trying to get more fun people with good manners on those more upscale sailings. If truly the only problem you have on those other lines is the, um, sleepiness too early in the night. Trying to instill new policies and what amounts to a bribe on the mm's is not the answer. Extolling the virtues of the lines you prefer is a preferable course of action in my opinion.

Part of the fun of these boards is the intelligent discourse. Is that not why you started this thread?

While this is a terrific thought, I would kick it up a notch :D and absolutely pay a premium for a completely child-free ship. I love my own, lol, but can barely tolerate anyone elses....the little darlings. Marco Polo notwithstanding ...running up and down stairs, elevator games, walkie-talkies blaring, pool misbehavior. The list goes on and on.

It's for this same reason that I pay for a "quiet car" when traveling by train on business between NYC and Washington DC.

I agree and I would love to find an all-adult ship for even a few sailings a year! And I would pay extra! But, since most of the mass-market lines like RCCL and Princess caters to families, I doubt they'll ever consider even 1 or 2 adult only cruises per year. The money is just not there, evidently.

I would just be happy if they would enforce their rules & make parents responsible for their out of control children. I know exactly what you mean about elevator button pushing, kids in the hot-tubs or adult pool, pre-teens running and screaming down hallways banging on cabin doors.....I have seen it all. I just now book longer cruises and never cruise in the summer or around holidays.

I love the "quiet" cars, too. My DH and I were in Switzerland a few years ago and discovered those wonderful cars........nobody yakking on cell phones, no loud conversations......it was quiet and it was heavenly! :)

Archived