Need taxi/transfer information for post-cruise at Cape Liberty

lakim

Are taxis easy to get from Cape Liberty to the Newark airport after a cruise? Our flight isn't until 4:50 pm so we're planning to have a late breakfast and be one of the last ones off the ship. I know that at some ports we've been to it seemed like a major hassle to get a cab. Is it this way at Cape Liberty and will getting off the ship late make it better or worse?

We could also take Royal Caribbean's transfers but are afraid they will make us get up early and get off the ship quickly just to sit at the airport all day. Does anyone know if that is the way it works even if we have a late flight?

Any experience and/or suggestions are welcomed.

We come off the Voyager Oct 05. There were plenty minivans doing transfers to the airport.

We checked in our bags then got a shuttle to the Jersey Garden Mall to pass a couple of hours before our flight.

Thanks for the response, scottie99. The mall sounds like a great idea! Is this shuttle free and where do we find it?

I was about to post a similar question on availability of transport to Newark. Is it advisable to reserve one of these minivans? Are they linked with the cruise line or private?

Our flight leaves early and I'm a bit worried if getting off the ship will have delays & then there is a long line or transport not available then we might be tight (& hopefully not late) in catching our flight.

How long does it take from the terminal to the Newark airport? I was reading it was only 10 miles away - but is early traffic on Saturday morning bad?

I was about to post a similar question on availability of transport to Newark. Is it advisable to reserve one of these minivans? Are they linked with the cruise line or private?

Our flight leaves early and I'm a bit worried if getting off the ship will have delays & then there is a long line or transport not available then we might be tight (& hopefully not late) in catching our flight.

How long does it take from the terminal to the Newark airport? I was reading it was only 10 miles away - but is early traffic on Saturday morning bad?

I assume your question is in reference to your Explorer cruise. If I had an early flight I would definitely use the Royal Caribbean transfers, which are currently $25pp from the ship to the Newark airport and should be purchased in advance. They will be able to get you off the ship the fastest and onto one of their waiting buses.

I've read that although the pier is relatively close to the airport there is a lot of congestion in the area. Someone said there is usually a line for getting a cab and it should cost about $30 to the airport but I don't know if that price is current or not. Hopefully someone else can comment on that and your Saturday morning traffic question. I arrive on Sunday but it will be 2 days before Christmas which means shopping traffic will be heavier than normal I'm guessing.

For anyone else who's interested, I found this on the Jersey Gardens Mall website:

Jersey Gardens also operates a shuttle from Newark International Airport at Airtrain Station P4. The shuttle leaves the airport every half hour. The shuttle runs Monday-Saturday 10:00am-8:00pm and Sundays from 11:00am-6:00pm.

The shuttle returns to the airport from Jersey Gardens every half hour from 10:15am-8:45pm Monday-Saturday and 11:15am-6:45pm on Sundays.

Effective January 2, 2007, there is a $3 fee per person for the return trip to the airport from Jersey Gardens. Passengers should purchase a token prior to boarding the bus for the return trip from either the Concierge Desk on the lower level of the mall or at the token machine inside Filene's Basement's entrance.

We come off the Voyager Oct 05. There were plenty minivans doing transfers to the airport.

We checked in our bags then got a shuttle to the Jersey Garden Mall to pass a couple of hours before our flight.

I want to stay an extra night on the return trip. Any easy way to get to the Jersey Gardens Mall to shop or take a side trip to Manhatten/NYC before flying out the next day. I keep hearing that the incoming traffic for the next cruise is bad and hard for cabs or car services to find you or it may take a while to get to you. Any suggestions??

I want to stay an extra night on the return trip. Any easy way to get to the Jersey Gardens Mall to shop or take a side trip to Manhatten/NYC before flying out the next day. I keep hearing that the incoming traffic for the next cruise is bad and hard for cabs or car services to find you or it may take a while to get to you. Any suggestions??

I am not sure. I think the locals would know the answer better than I would. Most of the minivans were heading to the various airports. I suppose you could always get a mini van to Newark Airport , then get a complimentary hotel shuttle to one of the hotels beside the mall. (I believe there are at least 3 right alongside the Mall)

We are staying at the Country Inn and Suites at the mall the night before our Noordam cruise on Jan 16. That said, since I booked it I found on the internet, a local board where locals were talking about the mall and some were saying how dangerous it was (especially in the reastrooms!)

I have not told my wife !

Cabs are easy to get......

haven't heard about the mall being dangerous....honestly i don't think it is any more dangerous than any other mall in the country! (just skip the bathroom!) hold on to your purse and try to stick together.

www.jerseygardens.com

the Country inn is right across from the mall as are the following...all are on Glimcher Realty Way off exit 13A of the NJ turnpike

Residence Inn and Courtyard by Marriott Newark/Elizabeth.

As for getting in to NYC...you can hop an NJ transit train www.njtransit.com at EWR airport into manhattan, or take a PATH train from the Newark Penn Station into the city www.panynj.com

generally i stick with NJ transit from the airport...others prefer PATH but i don't love the newark rail station. just make sure the train says EWR-not all the trains make the airport stop. PATH is cheaper but you would need a bus, cab or train to get to Newark Penn (some hotels MAY have a shuttle)

there are lots of hotels near the airport...i tend to stay away from most of them (on routes 1 and 9) due to lousy traffic and an underabundance of food nearby..plus a couple of them are really bad

traffic into and out of cape liberty (www.cruiseliberty.com) is one way in and out...getting a cab really isn't hard..they line up! it may take 30 minutes to get out of the port though! the rate is flat to the airport and area hotels...it should be between 40-50 bucks. if it's more, it's too much! (i took a cab from the Courtyard above and it was 40. on the ay back the driver said 45 but i said it was 40 going so he said OK...)

To megr1125 (or anyone else with some local knowledge)

I have asked (and received) some recommendations for hotels and transportation to Manhattan. I have now booked the Country Inn and Suites on Glimcher Realty Way. I tried to book a car service (dial7.com)but they are asking for my credit card details to confirm the booking. I am uneasy supplying this by email (my card has been cloned 3 times).

If I wait until I arrive at the hotel, will I be able to get a taxi to the NY cruise terminal easily. Will a taxi cost more than booking a car service?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

To megr1125 (or anyone else with some local knowledge)

I have asked (and received) some recommendations for hotels and transportation to Manhattan. I have now booked the Country Inn and Suites on Glimcher Realty Way. I tried to book a car service (dial7.com)but they are asking for my credit card details to confirm the booking. I am uneasy supplying this by email (my card has been cloned 3 times).

If I wait until I arrive at the hotel, will I be able to get a taxi to the NY cruise terminal easily. Will a taxi cost more than booking a car service?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Almost all the car services ask for credit card info in advance. MOST have a secure website (no different than buying something online). Dial7 uses ScanAlert for credit card security. Or if you feel safer, give them a call (I know-international phone call). Taxi will cost more and having the hotel arrange it is usually one of the MOST expensive ways.

Archived