Conquest about to leave galveston-weekly web visit !

rob6465

The Fog looks like it's getting worse :(

The fog was bad an hour ago, then things cleared, now it is bad again. The weather here is unseasonably warm. Our low last night was 70 and the air is saturated. At least yesterday the passengers enjoyed a warm sunny day as will the new crop tomorrow. :)

I am watching as well...sure looks like the fog is getting worse. Can she leave in the fog? Does anyone know why she was late. I got up at 4a California time to see here dock. :eek:

She was delayed because of the fog that was both in Galveston harbor and laying off the shore.

I doubt that the fog is bad enough this evening to delay her further... at least I HOPE it won't delay her further!!!

I am watching as well...sure looks like the fog is getting worse. Can she leave in the fog? Does anyone know why she was late. I got up at 4a California time to see here dock. :eek:

They were late because of the fog.. There is another post about it somewhere where someone on teh ship posted about how they were stuck because of the fog. I don't think she'll be leaving in the fog.

The port was closed due to fog. The Conquest had to sit outside the breakwater till some time after 11:00 am. The Galveston inlet has alot of small ship traffic including the Bolivar car ferry. Even though the Conquest can navigate safely in fog, her sheer size presents a hazard to other craft that lack her sophisticated navigation equipment.

I was on the Conquest today. We didn't get in until after noon because the fog had closed the Galveston port. When we were moving down the Houston ship channel towards Galveston, the fog was really thick. Ships would come out of the fog to where we could see them, and they were really close when that happened. People who were signed up to get off the ship by carrying their own luggage had to wait five hours in the Toulouse Latrec lounge. Carnival played America's Funniest Videos for awhile and then played the Mr. Bean holiday movie, and then another movie. Once we reached Galveston, we got off pretty quickly, probably 15 minutes or so. It really was interesting to watch the fog when we went down the ship channel and see the ships come out of it when they were almost next to us.

I was on the Conquest today. We didn't get in until after noon because the fog had closed the Galveston port. When we were moving down the Houston ship channel towards Galveston, the fog was really thick. Ships would come out of the fog to where we could see them, and they were really close when that happened. People who were signed up to get off the ship by carrying their own luggage had to wait five hours in the Toulouse Latrec lounge. Carnival played America's Funniest Videos for awhile and then played the Mr. Bean holiday movie, and then another movie. Once we reached Galveston, we got off pretty quickly, probably 15 minutes or so. It really was interesting to watch the fog when we went down the ship channel and see the ships come out of it when they were almost next to us.

I think that if/when the USCG and the local pilots decide to close the channel it won't matter what kind of equipment the vessel has. If any vessel should be able to navigate the area it would be the Conquest. I'm sure she has the most uptodate radars and GPS. The authorities are probably going to err towards being more conservative especially after the accident out in San Francisco Bay a little while ago when the container ship made contact with one of the bridges and spilled alot of oil.

The balcony lights have been extinguished. Although the bow lines are still attached and there's no disturbed water around the bow that I can make out, it looks like they're getting ready to set sail!

Two and a half hours late ain't bad, considering!

Hi Ed...I have been following this thread and the other one started by Mach and I saw you and avril had posted as well. Really exciting and fun...although I was on the web cam site early this morning hoping to see her dock...and then again this afternoon...she is still there and I bet she doesn't leave until tomorrow.

I have see her come into port once and it is amazing. See you on the Cupids thread.

Char

Archived