Do you book through Carnival or use agent?

lp1980

We book directly with Carnival. We have used a TA in the past, but stopped quite some time ago. We know enough about cruising and the ships to be able to make our own decisions. I just can't see how including a middle-man would help me. Plus I like having 24 hour access to Carnival, rather than business hours access to a TA.

I also book directly with Princess and when I've set up group cruises I've done that direct.

All that said, that's how I do it and I don't propose it's the best method for everyone.

I have used the online cruise booking websites for as long as they have been available and would never return to a TA. I know what I'm looking for and I check a number of websites before booking so I get the best price. My niece is a TA and she can never beat the prices I find online. If I've had to cancel a cruise or make changes, the customer service reps at the online agencies have been terrific. Otherwise, I like not having to deal with a person and just make my own selections and do the bookings myself. I'm actually a very sociable person, so it isn't that I don't like dealing with people. I had three regular websites where I booked, depending upon the best deal, and that is now down to one which has had the best prices for the last several cruises.

I lost faith in TAs back in the 90's when they just couldn't be bothered to check further than their little brochures on trips to Mexico and the Caribbean (not cruises). We had to insist we knew we could do certain things and at that time, we couldn't book our own flights and condos, so we were at their mercy. I booked our first two cruises with different TAs and I didn't feel we were given very good guidance as far as cabin selection, itineraries, etc. Thank goodness for Internet access so I can book our own trips:D I find better deals not on the Carnival website, so I don't book through them.

I used Carnival directly and I'm sure glad I did. I didn't know about the military discount and the representative informed me about the discount and we saved $$$, plus I noticed that since I booked our cruise, it's gone up $120/pp, so I am extremely happy about my booking. Also, if I have any questions, I just e-mail her directly and she gets right back to me. If you really study all the information on this site, I think you can make really good decisions regarding your cruise.

Happy cruising!!!!!!:)

Curious where most of you book your cruise.

We have used a TA for our first three cruises, but will never use one again. I will use the PVP's at Carnival from now on. Our last TA was just AWFUL. I like the idea of being able to speak to someone at Carnival when ever you have a problem, instead having to wait on the TA to ge back to you.

I started out years ago booking with online agencies back when you could get a better deal through them than going to the cruiseline directly.

I checked prices for our upcoming cruise and everyone had the same price as Carnival so I booked with them directly online, but not through a PVP. I've been very happy doing it this way-the price has dopped twice and I just call them and they adjust the price.

I have never used a TA except for ours at work for work-related travel. I go out on the web and find everything I ever needed to know about where ever I am going, and always manage to get a good fair price. We went direct through Carnival and there were some things I was extremely unhappy with. First of all, you can make payments directly on-line without going through anyone, but, however our PVP set things up, we were unable to use that feature and had to get hold of him directly to make payments. Secondly, I sent an email with many questions about first time cruising (I hadn't discovered this place yet!), called him a week later and was told he did not have time to read or respond email like that. He could have simply sent me an email reply with the URL for one of the boards like this one. They must know they exist! Thirdly he would answer no questions at all about the insurance when I asked him about it and said we would discuss it after final payment, which we never did discuss, I received an email advertisement for CCL travel insurance. Needless to say I glanced at it and didn't even consider using it, I'm going through a third party. Finally, I tried for two days to get hold of him and all I got was the "Supervisors voice mail" which never helped at all. Now, having said all that, I am pretty sure I just got a young PVP who is just all full of himself! I would be tempted to book directly again with one caveat; first I wouyld get the name of a PVP from somebody here that is good and use them! If it still sucked, I would consider switching lines maybe or possibly finding a TA, but that just sounds like such a pain to add another person to the equation! Sorry, I dodn't mean for this to sound so negative! I never really sat down and regurgitated everything that has transpired. Wow, I guess maybe I need to not use that guy again! :(

Sounds like people are pretty evenly split though. Maybe you should go on-line, get a price then go to a TA and see what they can do. I think with a TA you may benefit from their experience in some instances. I get the feeling that a TA is more of a customer service type industry whereas the feeling I got from the PVP was that it is a sales gig. Just my observations though, I've been wrong before!

Mike

I started out years ago booking with online agencies back when you could get a better deal through them than going to the cruiseline directly.

I checked prices for our upcoming cruise and everyone had the same price as Carnival so I booked with them directly online, but not through a PVP. I've been very happy doing it this way-the price has dopped twice and I just call them and they adjust the price.

That is because CCL does not allow any agencies to ADVERTISE lower prices than what are posted on the CCL website.

If you email or call travel agents they are allowed to give you a lower price by rebating some of their commission.

Before going with an agency because they have a lower price ask some questions. Some have fees to cancel, fees for changes, etc.

Luckily my TA doesn't have any fees so it works well for me. I change my mind too often to deal with an agency that charges fees. I'd be broke.:D

Bill

the only thing i can say about using a ta or booking directly thru carnival. if they are a good ta they will meet or beat any price you can get from the cruise line direct. i (i mean they..lol) are just tryin to make a living too....

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL TRAVEL AGENTS....:D LOLOLOLOL

We just booked directly with Carnival because we figured that we weren't going to get much of a better deal than the military rate in combination with a free upgrade from cat 8A to 8G. Plus, the PVP suggested a cabin (7300 on the Pride) that ended up being fantastic. If I had a TA, I'd probably use them, but seeing as how I've never needed one in my life, it's difficult knowing where to start there.

Archived