All things Jewel of the Seas!

We had two formal nights on our six-nighter last year. Which ports do you stop in? We did the RCI cooking class in Cozumel, and it was a lot of fun - you get to cook a meal while sipping or swilling your beverage of choice. You also get some time to hang out at the beach before the bus goes back to town. We stopped in Costa Maya, and did a tour of the ruins with Ivan & David, but isn't the pier still closed? In Grand Cayman we did a stingray excursion with Nativeway that including a visit to Stingray City and a bit of snorkelling. In Key West we went to the Audobon House & wandered around town.
Jean, can you definitely confirm that I won't have to drink tequila or margaritas at the Cozumel cooking excursion? Can I have anything, or is there a set, short list?

We booked a Transatlantic from Harwich to Boston in 2006. My wife was concerned about being on one of those "big" ships where there would be too many people. The people at RCI told us that this was one of their newest ships but not one of their large ships. They told us we would be very comfortable; and we were. We were most impressed by all the views. Everywhere you went you had a view of the ocean. We really liked sitting in the Safari Lounge located in the stern where you could watch the ship's wake. That was a toss-up with our all time favorite, the Viking Crowne Lounge. The Schooner Bar was not as good as on other ships. Maybe it was this particular cruise. They kept changing the muscians every night instead of leaving a piano player there each night. Everyone raved about the 2 specialty restaurants, we were too late to make a reservation. Book early. There always was room in the theatre and the shows were first rate.Favorite spot to relax is the Solarium. Favorite port on the cruise was Cobh, the port for Cork. It is truly beautiful and they made us feel welcome

I read there are elevators in the middle and front of the ship.

Are there stairs to use in the back of the ship?

No, there are no stairs that you, as a passenger, can use at the back of the ship. On the cruise we were on someone tried to use the steps which are for crew and was told in no uncertain terms not to do that again.

I'm looking at the map of the Jewel and see what looks like stairs at the back of the ship. Deck 6 next to Portofino's. It has the same grid on many decks.

Those are the crew-only stairs that cruisegirl was talking about. Room service and the cabin stewards use those stairs a lot and passengers would most definitely be in the way.

I'm looking at the map of the Jewel and see what looks like stairs at the back of the ship. Deck 6 next to Portofino's. It has the same grid on many decks.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/ship/decks/deck/home.do?deckCode=06&shipCode=JW&shipProfile=1118&sailDate=1071223&hasNavigation=false

And there is a sign on the door to those stairs that clearly says "Crew Only". Do everyone a favor and take some additional steps to get to the public stairwells. The exercise will probably be good for you.;) The only passengers that I have seen using the rear stairs are those who believe that the rules don't apply to them. I did have the good fortune to see a ship's officer confront one such passenger and firmly inform him that, contrary to his opinion, the rules did apply to him.:D

Obviously I have led a very sheltered life. What is a cuban sandwich? I do know, and enjoy a ruben sandwich.

I found the following description that pretty much describes the Cuban sandwich that is so popular in Miami and onboard the Jewel of the Seas in the Seaview Cafe. The sandwiches have a submarine-style layering of ham, roast pork, cheese, and pickle between a sliced length of Cuban bread. The key to a great, versus a good, Cuban Sandwich lies in the grilling. A great Cuban sandwich is grilled in a sandwich press (called a plancha) until the ham, pork, and pickles have warmed in their own steam.

Enjoy.:)

We took the Jewel's 8 day Eastern caribbean cruise - got off Dec 9. It is truly a beautiful ship and never seemed crowded. You must find the SeaView Cafe. We did not discover it until our last day and never had an opportunity to eat there but the location is fabulous. Also the Solarium has a cafe that makes crepes - what a great snack in the afternoon. The Solarium pool is so peaceful and beautifully decorated. We also loved the look of the Schooner bar. I could go on and on, wish we were back on the Jewel versus the cold weather we are getting now!

I've sailed on Brilliance, but never noticed a cafe in the Solarium. Is there

an extra charge? I would love crepes for a change.

AND......do you love Welshies as in Welsh Terriers? One of my grandkids

is a 4 legged one, a Welshie named Gritty McDuff (for a microbrewery in

Maine). Gritty is the dearest possible dog....my daughter researched looking

for good with kids, no digging no barking, no shedding, and came up with

a Welshie....he's wonderful.......Mimi

I found the following description that pretty much describes the Cuban sandwich that is so popular in Miami and onboard the Jewel of the Seas in the Seaview Cafe. The sandwiches have a submarine-style layering of ham, roast pork, cheese, and pickle between a sliced length of Cuban bread. The key to a great, versus a good, Cuban Sandwich lies in the grilling. A great Cuban sandwich is grilled in a sandwich press (called a plancha) until the ham, pork, and pickles have warmed in their own steam.

Enjoy.:)

Thank you. I believe I will try one. The Cuban sounds yummy.

Well, had to post to say we are looking forward to on 3/8 cruise on the Jewel. We sailed the Radiance December of 2005 and loved her so much we sailed her again December of 2006. I understand the Jewel is about the same layout, so we should find our way around quickly. We love the layout of this type of ship and the E1 cabins are comfy and have plenty of room. Hope the service on the Jewel is as good as the Radiance. Had wonderful waiter and asst. waiter in 2005 and they found us in 2006. Always welcomed us with a hug and a smile and made us feel like we had come home. We did a land vacation and loved it but still can't beat the cruises. Gotta love them!