All things Jewel of the Seas!

:D :D :D :D I could have gone on and on an on!!!!! Know what you mean -- when I started checking these threads for info on her last year I thought my countdown screeched to a halt! The Schooner Bar is also nice and you access Portofino's and Chops through it. You also have to walk through it if you are going to the Safari Club.

Catherine;

Did you spend any evenings in the Safari Club???

My real question is, do they still have live entertainment in the Safari Club for dancing?

We were on the Jewel about a year ago. Since then, I've heard the rumors that the "dance bands" have been axed. I know that's a GREAT dance floor, and it would be a shame for it to be "going to waste".

We have the same qurstion--leaving in two weeks-- We enjoyed Moses & Pharoahs on this ship last yr & hope there will be a live band in the club--even if it's just the pool band! would not go there for canned music at all!

Good Morning Dhaden and Hcat -- sorry for not replying sooner -- I PFW so only around Monday to Friday!

I didn't get into the Safari Club other than to take pictures the day we were in Cozumel and the evening of the Platinum / Diamond party. For what I remember it was more or less just used for the Captain's Welcome Aboard party, Team Trivia, The Quest, and people who were playing pool or in the card room. (It was closed one night from about 10:30pm on as there was a party for the staff.) I agree - the dance floor is great and when there was a band a lot of people were up dancing. It's use probably changes with the itineray / length of cruise.

Happy Monday,

Silly question from a first time cruiser (Feb. 23 on the Jewel).

Do they put the little soaps and shampoos in the rooms like hotels do or should we pack our own? Neither my wife nor I care much what brand/kind of shampoo or soap we use so if they provide these items we have more room in our luggage.

Thanks!

Do they put the little soaps and shampoos in the rooms like hotels do or should we pack our own? Neither my wife nor I care much what brand/kind of shampoo or soap we use so if they provide these items we have more room in our luggage.

Thanks!

No question is "silly" -- I've only done 8 Royal Caribbean cruises and I still ask questions:D .

When I was on the Jewel (Dec 08) they put out hand soap (in wrapped packages) both on the sink and one in the shower. My Cabin Steward replaced both throughout the 6-nite cruise. Shampoo/Cream Rinse is in a dispenser in the shower. Note: the Jewel has round sliding glass doors and an adjustable shower head (can be hand-held if necessary).

Just another bit of info -- To lock / unlock the in-room safe (at least in my cabin, oceanview Deck 3 -- can't say what a suite is like!!) is by 'code' (on the Enchantment it was by swiping a card w/a magnetic strip).

Wish I was sailing on her again soon!

Thanks!

Hi sully_mn that is a great question..... my wife cannot stand the soaps and shampoo that RCCL supplies so she packs her own. I on the other hand am fine with just about any kind so I use what is supplied. They put out two wrapped bar soaps, one bath and one hand and the shower comes equipped with a shampoo dispenser.

By the way we are on the same sailing as you ( Feb 23) why don't you come on over to the roll call and talk with the rest of us. We seem to have a great bunch going on this cruise.

See you in a few weeks!!!!!:cool:

Thanks!

I would still advise taking your own shampoo. The soap is fine, but the shampoo leaves something to be desired. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Yes, they put out mini soap bars. We do not like them so we go by Target before the cruise and pick up a 7.5oz. soap dispenser for $3 before the cruise. The dispensers last about 7 days for two people.

Thanks everyone, this newbie (cruiser & board!) very much appreciates the help! What a great group. :)

By the way we are on the same sailing as you ( Feb 23) why don't you come on over to the roll call and talk with the rest of us. We seem to have a great bunch going on this cruise.

See you in a few weeks!!!!!:cool:

I think there will be 15-20 of us on this cruise.....I will be the dopey looking one probably wearing a "Minnesota Hockey" hat. :D

My wife's brother got married on St. Thomas during a cruise ten years ago the week of this cruise. After talking at Christmas (2006) about how much fun they had a bunch of family & friends decided to plan an anniversary cruise. My wife was able to go on the wedding cruise but because we had two young kids - and most of our babysitters were on the cruise - I stayed home. This should be fun.....I've never been on a cruise or to the Caribbean (or Miami, even if it's only for one night).

Catherine;

Did you spend any evenings in the Safari Club???

My real question is, do they still have live entertainment in the Safari Club for dancing?

We were on the Jewel about a year ago. Since then, I've heard the rumors that the "dance bands" have been axed. I know that's a GREAT dance floor, and it would be a shame for it to be "going to waste".

When we were on the JOS lasf February, the Safari Club was only used once for dancing. It has the best dance floor we've seen on any cruise ship. Otherwise, all dancing was in the Centrum on the marble floor, which is terrible for dancing (too hard and sticky, too much traffic). We asked why the dance band couldn't move to the Safari Club, which was usually empty, and were told that it was in the band's contract to play in the Centrum. We're expecting the same thing next week when we are on the JOS.

One really great thing they do in the Solarium is that during the day they play bird calls in the background and at night crickets and frogs. Pretty much guarantees that if you lie on one of the lounge chairs, you'll be asleep in a few minutes.

Art

We were on Jewel last week and the dance band played, and people danced at the Welcome Aboard party and the Platinum/D/D+ party, both in the Safari lounge. Weren't there other nights so not too sure what happened then. There was live music and dancing every night in the Centrum and live music at dinner nightly.

Rick and Deirdra

Thanks everyone, this newbie (cruiser & board!) very much appreciates the help! What a great group. :)

I think there will be 15-20 of us on this cruise.....I will be the dopey looking one probably wearing a "Minnesota Hockey" hat. :D

Here is the link for the roll call for our cruise. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=461578

We are having an informal get together on Deck 12 at the Sky Bar after the Muster drill and during sailaway. You should join us!!! My wife and I will be the crazies wearing the Corona Beads.:cool:

I have a quick question, we are debating between the Jewel and Freedom. We've only been on the Voyager class ships and my DH really likes the promenade area. Will he be disappointed on the Jewel? Thanks for any info. Carol

Why was the sailaway in the Safari Club--was the weather bad? Usually it is at the pool deck--That;s where we are having our CC group meet? Pls let me know.... Thanks

If you are you replying to my previous post, you are confusing the Sailaway with the Welcome Aboard party that the Captain hosts on the second night.

Rick

I have a quick question, we are debating between the Jewel and Freedom. We've only been on the Voyager class ships and my DH really likes the promenade area. Will he be disappointed on the Jewel? Thanks for any info. Carol

I have not been on the Freedom class ship but you will not be disappointed with the Jewel. Jewel does not have a promenade area but it does have a lot of stuff for it's size.

Ride the oceanview elevators all the way to the top, and when you exit, look behind the elevators. You will see Flamingos! They are soooo adorable. I didn't get a picture of them when we were on the Jewel in jan/05, so we have booked her again for the Panama cruise, just so I can get a picture of the flamingos!

Do these look familiar? :)

Flamingos.jpg.8ba6853f69cd49af881a99c72a4aa4e7.jpg

Just of the Jewel 1-6. The Jewel is a very nice ship. We were well pleased with just about everything. Our cabin steward kept the room clean but he was not friendly at all. We only seen him I think 3 times (deck 7). On the other hand my Mom & Dad were on deck 8 and there steward was awesome. They just bragged and bragged on him. They talked with him a lot and praised him for the animals he left. Some nights he left them 2 and even made 1 in the morning one day. They had animals all in their room. Our waiter and assistant were wonderful. Also our head waiter was the best we ever had. The only thing I didn't like about the ship was a limited view of the water from our balcony. We love to sit and watch the ship splashing the water and watch the people getting back on the ship. This time we couldn't there was a cover over where the lifeboats are and the cabin were sunk in so we could look out but not down. I have never had a balcony with limited views so I was disappointed in this. Other than that every thing was great just not long enough.

Just of the Jewel 1-6. The Jewel is a very nice ship. We were well pleased with just about everything. Our cabin steward kept the room clean but he was not friendly at all. We only seen him I think 3 times (deck 7). On the other hand my Mom & Dad were on deck 8 and there steward was awesome. They just bragged and bragged on him. They talked with him a lot and praised him for the animals he left. Some nights he left them 2 and even made 1 in the morning one day. They had animals all in their room. Our waiter and assistant were wonderful. Also our head waiter was the best we ever had. The only thing I didn't like about the ship was a limited view of the water from our balcony. We love to sit and watch the ship splashing the water and watch the people getting back on the ship. This time we couldn't there was a cover over where the lifeboats are and the cabin were sunk in so we could look out but not down. I have never had a balcony with limited views so I was disappointed in this. Other than that every thing was great just not long enough.

I was on the same cruise. You must have had the same room steward we had. What cabin were you in? We were in 7078

Just of the Jewel 1-6. The Jewel is a very nice ship. We were well pleased with just about everything. Our cabin steward kept the room clean but he was not friendly at all. We only seen him I think 3 times (deck 7). On the other hand my Mom & Dad were on deck 8 and there steward was awesome. They just bragged and bragged on him. They talked with him a lot and praised him for the animals he left. Some nights he left them 2 and even made 1 in the morning one day. They had animals all in their room.

I think I had a combo of both. In Dec 07, I was on Deck 3 and my cabin steward started off 'unfriendly', but by Day 3 (Cozumel) he was a lot like your Mom & Dad's! That night when I got back into the cabin, I found a 'crab' on top of the pillows an elephant at the foot of the bed. Next night it was 2 monkeys. Day 1 and 2 saw no chocolate on my pillows, day 3, 4, 5, and 6 there were 4 on each pillow. Travelling single -- they were all mine:D