Sydney One Day

Keith1010

We will only have one day in Sydney during our upcoming cruise. We have done a fair amount of research but would appreciate from others who either live in Australia or have visited Sydney what you would recommend given limited time there as to the places to visit.

Thanks,

Keith

Keith,

I'm sure you will get lots of replys to your question, but, first, suggest that you search this forum. There have been lots of suggestions posted already.

If you haven't been to Sydney before, I'd suggest that you stay with the suggestions related to staying in the city...walking around the Rocks, Opera House, Bridge, Ferry to the zoo or Manly, Darling Harbor, Aquarium and lots more! It's a great city and I know you'll enjoy it.

We will only have one day in Sydney during our upcoming cruise. ... what you would recommend given limited time there as to the places to visit.
Personally, I'd recommend spending the day organising your next visit to Sydney, which needs to be for a minimum of two weeks! :D

Personally, I'd recommend spending the day organising your next visit to Sydney, which needs to be for a minimum of two weeks! :D

I know you are just joking :D but on this trip my wife and I are on a full 108 day world cruise and one of the stops is Sydney. Unfortunately it is one day. Wish it was more, even an overnight. Clearly, if the ship began or ended in Sydney we would have planned to spend a week there, but that is not an option. I am sure we will be back again and stay a lot longer. In the meantime, we'll see what we can see during the day.

Keith

... but on this trip my wife and I are on a full 108 day world cruise and one of the stops is Sydney. Unfortunately it is one day. Wish it was more, even an overnight.
I understand. But just make sure that you do go back!

BTW, in a post of mine in one of the threads already linked to, you'll have seen the current CC list of things to do in Sydney.

I understand. But just make sure that you do go back!

BTW, in a post of mine in one of the threads already linked to, you'll have seen the current CC list of things to do in Sydney.

We will. We really wanted to do the Australia and New Zealand Itinerary for sometime and this world cruise provides us with the chance to visit so many nice ports in this area of the world plus many more during our voyage. Normally, when the cruise line does this itinerary we have an overnight in Sydney but for some reason we do not this time around. But, our plan will be to come back there to visit.

I will also be sure to read your post.

Keith

Keith,

How lucky you are to be doing a World Cruise. Enjoy. Unfortunately, you will not be visiting our lovely city here in Melbourne so you will have to return to Australia and see what you will be missing out on this time.

Jennie

Jennie, actually our ship does visit your city of Melbourne and we do have an ovnight in Melbourne. We also have an overnight in Aukland, New Zealand but we do not overnight in Sydney.

After hearing how wonder this area of the world is we are looking forward to seeing it for our very first time on this world cruise. And based on what everyone has told us, we know we'll want to return again.

Keith

Keith, it also depends on if you have been here before. If not, I wouldn't venture too far from the city. Even if you go on the ferry, I would only go to Taronga Zoo and back - which is about 45 minute round trip. Don't go to the zoo, you won't have time.

I think the best use of your time and also to probably get the most information about Sydney would be to do a hop on hop off bus tour around Sydney and a harbour cruise with commentary. I think it will cost you about $A100 per person to do both. Here are some links:

http://www.viator.com/tours/Sydney/Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tour-of-Sydney-and-Bondi/d357-3998_210_201#pricing

http://www.captaincook.com.au/home.asp?pageid=1661F5DD27C61DDC&destinationid=55F0AB3672931FB9&cruiseid=684852AB7A80082F

Also there is this which looks good - its only available Wednesday to Sunday, so if you're in Sydney on a Monday or Tuesday you're out of luck. Also their wet weather policy doesn't look too good.

The ship will sail in wet weather - tickets will not be refunded due to rain. Bring wet weather gear if it looks like rain – it is all part of the adventure. If weather conditions or other factors cause the Master to cancel the sail, a rain check for another voyage will be issued. No refunds will be made.

http://www.sydneytallships.com.au/BBQ.html

But if you have a taste for adventure it looks like a great way to see the harbour. If you're built more for comfort the Captain Cook option would be best.

Keith,

What ship will you be on. I didn't realize that one of the World Cruise ships would be visiting our great city and staying overnight is a bonus. Are you going to visit our Great Ocean Road whilst here as you have time to do that? Otherwise, you have time to see the Penguins at Phillip Island or if you don't want to go so far afield, you can visit our Healesville Sanctuary, our Yarra Valley wine area, our Dandenongs and then still have time to see all of our city the next day.

Jennie

Jennie, we are arriving on the Crystal Serenity. We arrive on February 24 and leave on February 25. We plan to do a couple of excursions while we are there. I remember that one is called the Blue Denedong Ranges and a Ride by Steam Train and the other one we have planned is to see the Penguins.

Keith

Keith,

That is great. You will go on Puffing Billy, a steam train that is very historic.

http://www.puffingbilly.com.au/

I also think they are going to take you down to Phillip Island to see our fairy penguins which is fun.

http://www.penguins.org.au/

My sister and brother in law have cruised on Crystal's Serenity and loved the ship. We are hoping to cruise on Crystal in the next couple of years.

Jennie

mochuck thank you so very much for the additional information. It is greatly appreciated.

Jennie, thank you for posting the url's for the two web site. I greatly appreciate this as well.

The Crystal Serenity is a wonderful ship so I hope you get the opportunity to cruise on the ship.

Keith

A friend of mine has her brother coming to stay from Chicago with his kids over the holidays.

We thought we would try the Tall Ship cruise because it will probably be a bit more interesting for the kids. We're doing it on 30th December, so will let you know what I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived