I couldn't believe what I saw!

Rina's Mom

Just got off the Zuiderdam yesterday. Despite rough seas, we had a good cruise. Got a very nice upgrade from HAL. I'll write a review later.

But I had to post this now. While at the salad bar in the Lido, I saw a woman put her hand into the salad greens to serve herself a handful (literally) of lettuce! :eek: :eek: I was completely and utterly dumbfounded! And she didn't just do it once either!

I was about to tell a crew member about it so they could change the lettuce when someone came out and replaced the container.

I was speechless!

Barb

Just got off the Zuiderdam yesterday. Despite rough seas' date=' we had a good cruise. Got a very nice upgrade from HAL. I'll write a review later.

But I had to post this now. While at the salad bar in the Lido, I saw a woman put her hand into the salad greens to serve herself a handful (literally) of lettuce! :eek: :eek: I was completely and utterly dumbfounded! And she didn't just do it once either!

I was about to tell a crew member about it so they could change the lettuce when someone came out and replaced the container.

I was speechless![/quote']

Yep ... seen much like that before. Once, I saw a woman lick her fingers before dipping them into a jar of nuts (good nuts, no less) to pick through them to find one she liked. I also once saw someone take an hors d'oeuvre from a stewards tray, take a bite out of it, and then put it back down on the tray!

<sigh>

It happens all the time - people are clueless. I said something to a woman who put her hand in the bowl of potato chips at the Deli bar and she looked at me like I was crazy.

I told the sandwich attendant and he took the bowl and replaced it with a new bowl, fresh chips and TONGS (Imagine that! Using the tongs!)

About 25 years ago, a brilliant co-worker kept a huge bowl of jelly beans in his office. The office often worked long hours, on projects and most people let their hair down, after hours. Things like ties and shoes were dicarded for comfort. Some would put on sweats/jeans or other comfortable clothing for what was the second-thrid shift of the day. Those who had stashes of food were always popular.

Anyway, the brilliant one's thing was to go barefoot. ( Can you see where this is going? :eek: ). Despite the long hours, much of it was downtime, waiting for batch systems to run their jobs. One late evening, while foraging for food, I happened upon the Brilliant one, in his office. He was picking jelly beans out of the bowl, with his toes.

The brilliant one was born in the USA, Ivy League educated and made multiples of 6 figures, back then. And somehow it eluded him that picking jelly beans out of a common bowl, with his toes, was way more than a bit off.

Please do not get me started about the guys who ate in the toilet.

About 25 years ago, a brilliant co-worker kept a huge bowl of jelly beans in his office. The office often worked long hours, on projects and most people let their hair down, after hours. Things like ties and shoes were dicarded for comfort. Some would put on sweats/jeans or other comfortable clothing for what was the second-thrid shift of the day. Those who had stashes of food were always popular.

Anyway, the brilliant one's thing was to go barefoot. ( Can you see where this is going? :eek: ). Despite the long hours, much of it was downtime, waiting for batch systems to run their jobs. One late evening, while foraging for food, I happened upon the Brilliant one, in his office. He was picking jelly beans out of the bowl, with his toes.

The brilliant one was born in the USA, Ivy League educated and made multiples of 6 figures, back then. And somehow it eluded him that picking jelly beans out of a common bowl, with his toes, was way more than a bit off.

That is unreal! I thought we had some pigs in our office! I think I've heard it all now.

On the Zaandam in 2004 I watched as a guy picked his way through a couiple of trays of breakfast pastries, licking his fingers off after touching each danish (and, hence, before touch the next). I think he ended up taking only one ... but he touched and got his slobber on them all.

That is unreal! I thought we had some pigs in our office! I think I've heard it all now.

Al-righty, then! :D

On the Westerdam in 2005 I saw an individual quite literally pee into the aft pool. It was late at night and I was doing one of my post-midnight "wander abouts" (it's when I take most of my best lounge photos). I had finished with a few shots of the Lido and had gone out back to see what was going on on the aft lido deck and, low and behold, standing by the side of the pool was this "person" releaving himself. <ugh!> No, I didn't take a photo ... I think I was too stunned and, before I could gather my senses about me, the guy was done and was staggering off.

I did have enough sense to tell a staff member about it so that they could drain the pool and clean it.

<shaking head>

On the Volendam last April, I was seated next to a lady at lunch in the dining room and, after being served a salad, she played with it for a minute with her fork, before announcing that she didn't order a salad. The waiter then decided that it was my salad and instead of taking it away and getting me a new one, he placed it in front of me. He must have seen me stiffen because he then asked if I wanted a fresh one. He put me in the embarrassing position of having to say "yes" and offending the lady. I could tell she didn't like it when I asked for a new one. I feel the waiter should have just taken the salad away and replaced it without being asked. I felt bad and I made a dining companion feel bad through no fault of her own.

Oh Gosh!!! - did not want to go here... but will. Back in the day - our "other" offices comprised of 47K sf of some 1980's bank executive space... my old boss (the VP & CFO) had one of those offices with a bathroom, including sauna and shower. Black marble, no less - (now we know where all the money went in the 80's, lol!) As an Executive Assistant, part of my job was to make sure the toiletries were stocked in the shower, tub, sink area etc. Gross, but yeah well, whatever...

As a first, I used to put the red line version of the 10K or 10Q in there for "reading" material!!! Guess what, it gone done too. My boss used to take a sauna and was actually able to get more accomplished (uninterrupted) than sitting at his desk. :)

This is really amazing stuff. Just the other day, DH and I were eating lunch in a local restaurant and I got to wondering. What do you think they do with the bread that's left in each breadbasket. Do you think they throw it out? We asked for some extra crackers and they bought us a large plate of them which of course we didn't finish. When they took them back, I couldn't imagine where they went. Out? Into someone else's bread basket?

My server brought over my order, but his hands were touching the inside of my plate. No gloves. This was a very nice local restaurant with a very good reputation. I wish someone really knew what went on in the kitchens.

My children are busy teaching their five year old to take what he touches and to only touch one. Can't imagine where or how these poeple were raised.

The jellybean story takes the cake, though.

I'm not as sweet and accepting of others bad habits as some folks........

I don't hesitate to suggest to someone they need to use the tongs if I see them begin to reach onto a tray with their bare hands. I would rather say something to them than have half a shipful of people ill.

When I saw a woman reach toward the cookie tray at the ice cream stand I was able to speak quickly enough to stop her. I pointed to the tongs or the pile of paper napkins and suggested she choose one or the other with which to remove the cookie(s) she wanted. She obliged and it didn't seem to phase or embarrass her at all that I had 'reminded her' .

Sorry.....don't mean to offend.

And these are probably the same people who will blame the cruiseline and be furious at being quarantined if (when) they come down with noro!:mad:
You got that right!

I felt bad and I made a dining companion feel bad through no fault of her own.
You didn't! SHE did ... by "playing" with the food with her fork. How did you know whether or not she'd had it in her mouth already or handled it by the tines? You did the right thing by asking that the salad be replaced.

Sometimes I think people just don't think about what they are doing. Just the other day, I was at a local restaurant where there is a salad bar. The woman ahead of me was using the tongs to load her plate with the lettuce which is usually the first bowl. As she did, a few pieces of lettuce fell from her tongs onto the countertop. As she moved down the line, in order to keep things nice and neat, she picked up the stray pieces of lettuce with her hands and put them back in the bowl!!! I don't think she meant to be evil, but no lettuce for me today, Thanks!!!

P.:eek:

She may have been mentally challenged. Just a thought.

But if she wasn't were you too shocked to say something to her?

Why would we have to? Also to risk someone cursing and acting absurd as what happen to my DH on Westerdam? No thanks.

Anymore, restaurants have attendants for the salad bars... the patrons should NOT be expected to be the ones "policing" the other patrons.. :confused:

I worked in a preschool and seen where little fingers go. I will not pick up any candy or nuts from an open dish. You just don't know where fingers have been, children's or adults. As for left over rolls I leave, I will destroy the rolls on purpose so they can not be used again by putting fork marks into the crust, or using a knife and cut into them.

Oh jeez' date=' I was hoping this type of behavior wasn't as common as it apparently is.:(

Barb[/quote']

Go to any holiday party and you are going to see the double dippers, the grabbers and too many folk blowing their noses and then plunging into the nuts. They are everywhere.

Archived