I couldn't believe what I saw!

Rina's Mom

Next time you reach for the good nuts .. think again..:rolleyes:

Bulldog

Thank goodness HAL puts the good nuts in a little jar with a somewhat narrow neck, so you can shake them out into your hand without touching those you're not eating. At least they did on my last couple of cruises. I haven't seen anyone digging into the jars for the last cashew and then throwing the others back yet.....although come to think of it, I haven't really been watching that closely. Next time I will.

Thank goodness HAL puts the good nuts in a little jar with a somewhat narrow neck, so you can shake them out into your hand without touching those you're not eating. At least they did on my last couple of cruises. I haven't seen anyone digging into the jars for the last cashew and then throwing the others back yet.....although come to think of it, I haven't really been watching that closely. Next time I will.

LOL ... actually ... it was in order to enable her to get out the nuts she wanted that the lady licked her fingers and put them through the narrow neck of the bottle. :D

hmm, reading all of these reminds me of why I'll never take a Disney cruise again - and the answer to why everyone keeps asking:

I went as a chaperone for three younger cousins, and to keep a long story fairly short, all six nights of the cruise I was left with a "good morning" present on the balcony of my room.

It seems, the children on Disney Cruises are not potty trained, and mistake my balcony for a bathroom...:eek:

Needless to say, one of the most disgusting displays I have ever witnessed!

Cheers,

Just got off the Zuiderdam yesterday. Despite rough seas' date=' we had a good cruise. Got a very nice upgrade from HAL. I'll write a review later.

But I had to post this now. While at the salad bar in the Lido, I saw a woman put her hand into the salad greens to serve herself a handful (literally) of lettuce! :eek: :eek: I was completely and utterly dumbfounded! And she didn't just do it once either!

I was about to tell a crew member about it so they could change the lettuce when someone came out and replaced the container.

I was speechless!

Barb[/quote']

Better to call the woman on it - no-one may be around to tell them to take it away the next time. This is one situation where creating a scene is not a bad thing.

The brilliant one was born in the USA, Ivy League educated and made multiples of 6 figures, back then. And somehow it eluded him that picking jelly beans out of a common bowl, with his toes, was way more than a bit off.

Perhaps it was his method of portion control? :eek:

Go to any holiday party and you are going to see the double dippers, the grabbers and too many folk blowing their noses and then plunging into the nuts. They are everywhere.

Awwwrighty then:eek:

Would you mind terribly passing the Grey Poupon?

No more nuts for us!!! UGH!

As long as this has morphed into the 'gross' thread :p, I'll 'sweeten' the pot.

More than 30 years ago, I ordered a piece of pie in a restaurant in Lima, Peru. To give me a fork, the waiter picked up a fork from a plate that a previous customer had finished, wiped the food remnants off the fork with his filthy apron, and handed it to me!

I ate the pie anyway, after wiping the fork again with my own shirt (yes, I was young, strong, and immortal...).

I have been traveling with a friend for over ten years. For longer than that I have been nagging her about how she doesn't wash her hands. On our last cruise she came out of the bathroom, telling me not to go in there for a while, and then dug her hands in the ice bucket. When I went in the bathroom later, I could tell that she had not washed her hands--the soap was still wrapped, etc.

I am now cruising solo, and I wonder if she wonders why.

The other story isn't a cruising story. I was at Whole Foods looking at the muffins (It's kind of like an art gallery for me). They have their baked goods on shelves with glass doors. You open the doors and serve yourself. There are the wax paper things that you are supposed to use to pick up things.

Well, one time there was a woman with a small brat, I mean child, who kept opening the doors and grabbing these cookies. She finally went over to stop him, and she just slapped his hand for him to let the cookies go and she just left them there on the pile of cookies for customers to select from! I was livid, and so I said, "Are you going to just leave those cookies there?" She looked at me like I was Satan and said, "His hands are clean." About that time one of the bakery staff came and took the whole tray away and dumped them in the trash. A few minutes later the same staff person came up to me with a nice steaming cup of chai, gave it to me and said, "Thank you for defending our bakery."

On a side note, a friend of mine who has a child about the age of the one in question said "There's no way his hands were clean."

.....so ........have you been to Russia to see their "vending machines.....:)

We were in Odessa and they had a machine that dispensed a lemonade looking drink after a coin was deposited.......and it dispensed it into a cup, attached to a chain and the cup was used by everyone....:eek:

.....so ........have you been to Russia to see their "vending machines.....:)

We were in Odessa and they had a machine that dispensed a lemonade looking drink after a coin was deposited.......and it dispensed it into a cup, attached to a chain and the cup was used by everyone....:eek:

Evening! Go ahead and call me anal but Odesa is a city in the Ukraine, an independent country. It was part of the Soviet Union in the good old days.

But I had to post this now. While at the salad bar in the Lido' date=' I saw a woman put her hand into the salad greens to serve herself a handful (literally) of lettuce! :eek: :eek: I was completely and utterly dumbfounded! And she didn't just do it once either!

[/quote']

Some people just have no manners ... or class.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm not as sweet and accepting of others bad habits as some folks........

I don't hesitate to suggest to someone they need to use the tongs if I see them begin to reach onto a tray with their bare hands. I would rather say something to them than have half a shipful of people ill.

When I saw a woman reach toward the cookie tray at the ice cream stand I was able to speak quickly enough to stop her. I pointed to the tongs or the pile of paper napkins and suggested she choose one or the other with which to remove the cookie(s) she wanted. She obliged and it didn't seem to phase or embarrass her at all that I had 'reminded her' .

Sorry.....don't mean to offend.

Ask RevNeal about his two day land cruise to Disneyland last spring because the Ryndam had to be supercleansed due to noro and cut the 10 night to an 8 night! We were lucky to be on the last Ryndam of the season out of SD, the week after the ship got out of 'Code Red' - ship term for no self service of any kind (again, ask RevNeal). We got a fantastic picture of the crew appreciation for being out of Code Red party poster that was sitill on the inside of a bulkhead going up to the bow observation deck. Some lucky crew member won a cool $1,000!

I work in Public Health and I don't even like to think about what goes on in the kitchens. I just say my prayers and maintain as healthy a lifestyle as possible, including pointing out possible contamination situations!

When I saw a woman reach toward the cookie tray at the ice cream stand I was able to speak quickly enough to stop her. I pointed to the tongs or the pile of paper napkins and suggested she choose one or the other with which to remove the cookie(s) she wanted. She obliged and it didn't seem to phase or embarrass her at all that I had 'reminded her' .

Sorry.....don't mean to offend.

IMO, you don't have to worry about offending anyone .. the "pigs", for lack of a better term, that use hands and fingers, don't care about offending anyone so why should you try to temper your remarks?

and you want to know why Purell is a "best seller" on board:rolleyes:

the real problem, though, is when someone sees something and doesn't say anything to a supervisor immediately ..

this isn't "the dress police issue"; this is all about health

horrible is a mild word to describe how some people act; the worst part is they cause the problem but usually aren't affected

On the Nov 10 2007 Noordam cruise, we saw a women reach into the "fried bread" bin at the English Breakfast area and grope around until she found what she wanted.

The poor cook working the station had a fit, and immediately picked up the container and dumped all the remaining bread in the trash.

On this same cruise, we saw people pick up cheese at the buffet with their hands and eat it in line, pick up rolls and bread with their hands (don't they know what tongs are For????), pick up sushi with their bare hands, need I go on?

On the Noordam the staff really worked extra hard to prevent the transfer of noro, but some of the "guests" really seem completely ignorant about how diseases get spread.

Last year on another cruise (I can't even remember which one any more) I got into an argument with a woman in line because she was picking up tortilla chips, dipping them in the guacamole, and eating them at the buffet. I told her she was very rude and had no manners, that you should not eat from a buffet She was indignant and had no idea what I was talking about.

This was not a language issue, I think she was from New Jersey! English was most definitely her first language.

As far as restaurants go, if you are afraid, do not read "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain. You will find out what they do with the leftover bread baskets!

IMO, you don't have to worry about offending anyone .. the "pigs", for lack of a better term, that use hands and fingers, don't care about offending anyone so why should you try to temper your remarks?

and you want to know why Purell is a "best seller" on board:rolleyes:

the real problem, though, is when someone sees something and doesn't say anything to a supervisor immediately ..

this isn't "the dress police issue"; this is all about health

horrible is a mild word to describe how some people act; the worst part is they cause the problem but usually aren't affected

Thank you, Sea King. That is pretty much how I felt about it!

I'd rather speak up than have a ship in Code Red with a crew having to do all that entails.

You are so right that usually those who cause the problem, rarely are the ones who suffer most. :( The work and expense to the ship is immense not to mention the misery of those who become ill.

I'd rather speak up than have a ship in Code Red with a crew having to do all that entails.
I'm one who will speak up - IF I'm not too stunned. :eek: What I've experienced onboard:

1) Getting iced teas at the Veendam's Lido Grill. My friend likes lemon in hers. As I'm there, fork in hand to spear a wedge for her, a 'man' sticks his hand in the container to grab some. As I'm standing with my mouth agape at that, another 'man' does the same. There had to be at least 3-4 forks still in the container to use, plenty to go around. They are both lucky they didn't find a fork in the back of their hands - 'Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't think anyone was SO crass as to actually stick their hand in there!' I tell friend (a microbiologist) she really doesn't want lemon with her iced tea that day.

2) On Amsterdam, while getting ice cream for DH a woman (certainly not a lady) is grabbing, with her bare hand, a number of the sugar wafers. I politely point out the tongs. She abruptly informs me that she is unable to 'work' the tongs. HELLO - if your hands are able to grab sugar wafers, they can use tongs. It is the same motion.

3) In line for the Volendam's Lido, 2 woman ahead of us take plates from the stacks and clutch them to their chests. As they get closer they can see the attendant is placing plates on the trays for passengers. They put the dishes they've been grasping all over, back onto the stacks. I just gave their 'used' plates to the attendant and told him they were dirty.

4/5) Same 'man' both times on the Zaandam last year. DH really likes the chocolate chip cookies at the ice cream bar. Apparently this male did too. He would take cookies with his bare hands (WELL old enough to know better). The first time, I open mouth and out comes 'OH, gross!' without even thinking. I do then point out the tongs RIGHT there. He actually had to reach over the tongs to take the cookies. He glares at me. The second time he does this (with quite a few people around waiting for ice cream/cookies), I again point out the tongs. He just lights into me about how rude I am for pointing out, with people around, that he didn't use tongs. Well, it WAS their food he just put this hands on. :eek: One of the nearby women tells me not to worry, people take cookies "all the time" with their hands. :confused: No more cookies for DH.

We really like having breakfast and lunch in the Lido, but we're eating more and more in the main dining room.

Perhaps it make some sense for cruise lines to create a new form of onboard entertainment:

Turn your Fellow Pax in and Win a Prize.

The more pax you turn in, the greater your chances are at winning the big prize.

LOL........ You win the prize for this one!!! I'm Laughing out Loud!!! :D

Just the other day in the Oosterdam's Lido, I saw a woman deliberately move the tongs out of the way on the smoked salmon tray, reach in and grab a piece or two :eek: then knock the tongs to the floor with her elbow. She reached down, picked up the tongs and placed them back in contact with the food!!

As I went to inform the staff, another alert member of the crew (who must have also witnessed this from another angle) had them remove the tray and tongs and replace them. :)

Just unreal!

... I think she was from New Jersey! English was most definitely her first language.
Not necessarily! :) But even that should be no excuse.

I knew many folks are bad about handling buffet food, but your revelations are even more egregious than I thought.

Archived