How come no one is talking about Spiritair

betcat

This week Spirit Air had a really good sale with air fares as low as -3.00 dollars. My wife works for Air Tran and my son for Northwest so we get free airfare, but I had 2 friends get some good deals to Puerto Rico (9.00$ dollars) and Cancun for (33.00$ dollars) I know Jet blue had a sale like it a few month back. It was hard to believe until I tried to book and it worked. By now I am sure most are gone but its still on the web sight.

Spirit has an ugly record of stranding passengers here, there and everywhere. Check out customer reports and reviews on various air travel specific sites if interested.

Perhaps that is why "no one" is talking about them.

Paul

So does Jet Blue, and northwest and all airlines, I sometimes as a standby passenger really have a hard time. And I will keep flying standby because it free! But it is part of the airline game. I always give myself a couple of extra days to get back. On airfarewatchdog deal of the day someone got Spirit to Naussa for 2.00$

So does Jet Blue, and northwest and all airlines, I sometimes as a standby passenger really have a hard time. And I will keep flying standby because it free! But it is part of the airline game. I always give myself a couple of extra days to get back. On airfarewatchdog deal of the day someone got Spirit to Naussa for 2.00$

Well its good for you that you are flying for free and flying standby is required to do so.

I am also guessing that your flying is random when you fee like it just to get away.

Some people actually spend their hard earned money to go someplace on business or pleasure on a limited and or set schedule.

Maybe nobody has anything good or bad to say about Spirit.

I dont fly them as their routes are limited.

Nine dollars to P.R. and two dollars to Naussa. You can see the prices on Spiritair.com or Airfarewatchdog.com

And cruisin Ron

And yes these fare won't work if you have business or have to be some place right now, But for a cheap weekend get away it might be a adventure. Do you plan out every day of your life. Some of us can't afford the trip and it is fun to make it a good weekend get away even if we can get a room there and have to spend a over night in a rental car. If those fares don't work for you thats OK. The message wasn't ment for you and no need to comment. It was ment for us working people who has to watch every dollar we spend. I would spend 9.00 dollars and go to P.R. on a over nighter then never get to go at all

I was talkin about Ft. Lauderday to P.R. But they have other places and I can't list all 200 or 250 places and dates for this sale. They also had Las Vegas to Ft. Lauderdale for 88 dollars round trip. If you are really wanting to know go check it out

I was talkin about Ft. Lauderday to P.R. But they have other places and I can't list all 200 or 250 places and dates for this sale. They also had Las Vegas to Ft. Lauderdale for 88 dollars round trip. If you are really wanting to know go check it out

I did go check it out and didn't see that price. No need for more information. I do not plan to fly between these two points .

Keith

Sales over, it must of been a weekend thing, now its a 24 dollars off. If you want to see the prices some people got you can go to Airfarewatchdog.com and go to deals of the day and they will show the deals there. Its another great web sight to get airfare alerts or check out cheap fares. Like last night they had Memphis to germany for 312 after taxes and MSP for about the same.

I have flown on Spirit airlines several times with good results, but it is not my airlines of choice. The run specials on a regular basis and if you catch the specials, you can get a very good deal. One of the negatives is the number of flights to a certain location and the extra charges for check luggage. The check luggage fees is the main reason that I have not considered them seriously lately. Their website is really easy to use and I would recommend that you at least check them out.

Bottom line is if they had a really good deal that I would consider flying them, but I am still a little cautious if my schedule is not flexible.

Honestly, I had never heard of this airline because they don't fly where we live. So, I don't think you hear much about them given their limited coverage area. Many people who post to this site are looking for airlines/flights with a more exptensive coverage area. I have to say though that airlines that advertise fairs at $9.00 worry me.

Keith

I have to say though that airlines that advertise fairs at $9.00 worry me.

That's just their Method of Operation, so you really should not worry about them because of this reason. In 2006 they carried 4.9 million passengers. They currently employ 2,200 people and on their 35 A319s/A320s/ A321s (thus note that they are an all Airbus company), go to 39 destinations on about 200 daily flights.

Earlier this year I used them from Providence to Ft. Myers for only $20 (not including taxes and fees) each way. Alas, they no longer go to PVD and only serve Myrtle Beach from BOS. A search of this forum indicates they have been mentioned in 96 threads since May 2004.

That's just their Method of Operation, so you really should not worry about them because of this reason. In 2006 they carried 4.9 million passengers. They currently employ 2,200 people and on their 35 A319s/A320s/ A321s (thus note that they are an all Airbus company), go to 39 destinations on about 200 daily flights.

Earlier this year I used them from Providence to Ft. Myers for only $20 (not including taxes and fees) each way. Alas, they no longer go to PVD and only serve Myrtle Beach from BOS. A search of this forum indicates they have been mentioned in 96 threads since May 2004.

The fares change drastically (especially to the Caribbean when you add the taxes and fees). Also Spirit now charges $10 to check a bag.

When Spirit started flying from PVD, I booked flights on the often. sometimes because of price and sometimes because of the schedule. I started getting used to the fact that they were rarely on time, but when they became not even close to on time (especially when it had to do with FLL or FLL to anywhere) I decided to make a concious effort to avoid them. When you're planning on getting home at 10:00Pm and you get home at 2:00AM and a friend left FLL on another airline at 9:30 and was on time, you start to wonder! I wasn't confortable when they announced that they were looking for one more attendant or they needed a pilot or.... They no longer fly from PVD so I don't have to consider them!!

I've been flying Spirit Airlines for approx. 15 years. They started out as a small airline flying from Atlantic City to a few cities in Florida. Over the years they've grown quite large. We probably fly Spirit from Atlantic City (very convenient as we live minutes from Atlantic City) at least 3-4 times/year and in all those years, I think I've been on only 2 flights that were not running on time. Maybe I've been extraordinarily lucky, but I've had worse luck on flights on the more mainstream lines like AA, United, USAir, etc., out of Philadelphia. Yes, they do charge for luggage. It's $5 per piece each way. Not a big deal, especially if I'm getting a bargain price. For those really cheap fares (and yes, they are legit, but they are limited and sell out fast), you must be a member of their $9 Fare Club. It costs $9 to join for a 3 month trial member, after that it's $29.99/year. Once you are a member, you log on their Fare Club and you will see those inexpensive prices. My next door neighbor took her entire family of 6 from Atlantic City to Ft. Myers this past summer for $8 pp each way (that doesn't include the taxes, which amount to approx. $20). My husband and I are flying from A.C. to Ft. Myers in January for a long weekend and got a fare of $44 pp each way (again, a great fare given it's high season in Florida that time of year).

In summary, there is nothing wrong with Spirit Airlines. The entire air industry has changed and if you fly Spirit, I think you'll be hard pressed to find much difference between them and any other major airline. One of the things I like about Spirit is flying out of A.C., there's usually no delays, whereas Philly can be a nightmare because there are so many airlines flying in and out of PHL. Spirit's prices aren't always the least expensive, so I always check around before I book. But I'm a member of their FF program, and I've got two RT tickets for February from A.C. to Ft. Lauderdale and I paid nothing for those flights, and our reservations include President's Day weekend, which is very expensive.

I say give it a try.

I am not in the fare club, can you tell us the fare code

There is no fare code...you have to join the $9 Fare Club to take advantage of the really low prices. If you go to their homepage, you can join there. It's $9 for a 3 month trial membership. Only one person in the family has to join. Once one is a member, you can add anybody to your booking (even non-family members) and they will get the same price. But you have to be on the booking with them.

There is no fare code...

Well, I think their procedures are a little more complicated than what one might think of as a straight fare sale. If one signs up for their fare sale emails, they do send along a code for their "$24 off" sales--and that code changes for each sale. As I understand it, and I certainly could be wrong, some other sales are only for $9 club members, while yet other fare sales can be purchased by anyone--although in doing so, no code is required although their default is to charge one an additional $9 (3-month) promotional fee for the club, although one can opt-out if they so choose and the $9 fee is not included in the sale price.

I used to work at the Orlando airport for an airline several years ago and Spirit was a horrible airline. Our counter was next to theirs and they were constantly having delays and cancellations. Their passengers would get do angry that we called security more than once.

Several months ago I had to get to Atlanta at the last minute and could not believe the fare that Spirit had so I took a chance. I am so glad I did. They have all new equipment and the fares just can't be beat. I've flown them twice now and only once was it delayed and that was due to weather. You can't take off during an afternoon thunderstorm here in central Florida. I will now fly them any chance I can get!

Well, I think their procedures are a little more complicated than what one might think of as a straight fare sale. If one signs up for their fare sale emails, they do send along a code for their "$24 off" sales--and that code changes for each sale. As I understand it, and I certainly could be wrong, some other sales are only for $9 club members, while yet other fare sales can be purchased by anyone--although in doing so, no code is required although their default is to charge one an additional $9 (3-month) promotional fee for the club, although one can opt-out if they so choose and the $9 fee is not included in the sale price.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying, but all I know is sometimes sales are for everyone. Sometimes being a member of their $9 Fare Club gets you the really good deals. You just have to check each time which has the best price. For a long time when I'd get email specials and try to get them, they weren't showing up. It was then that someone told me you have to actually log in as a $9 Fare club member and then those fares will show up (if they haven't sold out). So I guess what I'm saying is sometimes you can get cheaper fares using a fare code, but for the really inexpensive ones, you generally have to be a member of their club. But for me it's well worth the membership fee to be able to take advantage of a RT ticket for $9 each way.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying, but all I know is sometimes sales are for everyone. Sometimes being a member of their $9 Fare Club gets you the really good deals.

I think you got most of it right. From what I can ascertain, Spirit Airlines runs 3 types of fare sales. The first type is $24 off pretty much any flight they operate. These tend to last only 1 day and a special code is needed. (To modify what I noted in a prior post, the code, 24HOURS, was the same for at least their last 6 sales.) The second type of sale offers deeply discounted fares on selected routes and for selected days. No code is needed. The third type of sale is for $9 club members (for which some 225,000 travelers have enrolled for either a trial period or a one-year subscription) and no code is needed. As you note, these generally are the best sales, however, I do see that for the second type of sale (which is available to anyone), some fares were as low as $1!

I think you got most of it right. From what I can ascertain, Spirit Airlines runs 3 types of fare sales. The first type is $24 off pretty much any flight they operate. These tend to last only 1 day and a special code is needed. (To modify what I noted in a prior post, the code, 24HOURS, was the same for at least their last 6 sales.) The second type of sale offers deeply discounted fares on selected routes and for selected days. No code is needed. The third type of sale is for $9 club members (for which some 225,000 travelers have enrolled for either a trial period or a one-year subscription) and no code is needed. As you note, these generally are the best sales, however, I do see that for the second type of sale (which is available to anyone), some fares were as low as $1!

Yes, I think that about covers it. Believe it or not, they occasionally run a sale that says the'll pay the customer to fly...in other words, flights sell for

$-1.00. Of course, you do have to pay fees and taxes, which come to about $20.

I also took out their Spirit Plus Master Card, so I accrue not only miles but points. I've got enough for two free RT tickets this coming February, plus still enough left over for 3 more RT flights. And adding more miles when I take that $9 flight will be sweet. I get another 1,200 miles each way!

We've flown Spirit out of Detroit many times. We only had an issue on one flight where we taxied out and the captain came on and said there were mechanical difficulties with the aircraft and he would be taking us back to the gate. We ended up deplaning and they brought in another aircraft. We were three hours late reaching Fort Lauderdale but they gave us each two free drinks (snack boxes for the kids) plus vouchers for 20% off our next flights. I thought they handled it well and personally, if the plane's got mechanical difficulties I'd rather be late than fly on it. This was several years ago just before they updated the fleet to all Airbus with leather seats.

I just booked them again for DTW to LAX in March. Got direct flights and saved about $150 per person over the big names and we snagged their "big front seats" both ways so I've got no problems paying for $5 per bag each way. We don't ever fly down same day as the cruise anymore so I don't worry too much about the schedule.

Archived