eye liner brushes

GORDONCHICK

I have almost run out of my Clinique cake liner (that they haven't made for more than 10 years - I bought it up when I found out) so I bought some Laura Mercier cake liner on Jane's recommendation. My Clinique liner had it's own brush in each one, but it was a little bitty round one, smaller than a lip brush. So when I made that purchase (the Laura Mercier), I wanted to go ahead and get a flat eye liner brush and bought the angled one. Which one do you guys use (for cake or liquid liners) - angled or straight? How long did it take you to get used to this type of brush? I am still quite clumsy with it and do a lot of "clean up" with a damp q-tip at this point. Should I just go back to what I'm used to or should I give it time to get the hang of it?

I've just kept and washed the brush that comes with the Clinique liner. I am so used to it that I find it hard to use anything else.

By the way, I sent Clinique an email bemoaning the loss of the cake eyeliner, and they said they are bringing it back. However, that was in late summer and they said it would be available in December. I checked their website last week, and it still isn't listed. I haven't found anything that I liked better that didn't irritate my eyes.

I've just kept and washed the brush that comes with the Clinique liner. I am so used to it that I find it hard to use anything else.

By the way, I sent Clinique an email bemoaning the loss of the cake eyeliner, and they said they are bringing it back. However, that was in late summer and they said it would be available in December. I checked their website last week, and it still isn't listed. I haven't found anything that I liked better that didn't irritate my eyes.

They discontinued my color (navied plum) before they completely discontinued cake liner. Black was too much, and the brown wasn't right. I know I will keep my little brush, but just wondered what everyone else was using.

I finally gave up and just had permanent eyeliner done. Only needs a touch up every 6 to 9 months. Swim, cry, rub your eyes stays in place no fuss no mess works the best for me.

Deb

I had mine done last year and I love it and I'm in my 60's. She made the color go with my "age" face and hair color and it can be updated as needed.

Anni

P188210_hero.jpg

When I'm in a hurry, or want a casual daytime look, I use this kind. (above)

When I have time to extend upper liner beyond eye to make a cat's eye shape for evening, I use this kind

(below)

P61033_hero.jpg

When using eyeshadow as my liner, I use this kind (has to be synthetic, so it's hard (below)

P188211_hero.jpg

P188210_hero.jpg

When I'm in a hurry, or want a casual daytime look, I use this kind. (above)

When I have time to extend upper liner beyond eye to make a cat's eye shape for evening, I use this kind

(below)

P61033_hero.jpg

When using eyeshadow as my liner, I use this kind (has to be synthetic, so it's hard (below)

P188211_hero.jpg

Wow! I guess, what I've been using (from the Clinique liner) is much closer to the second one, though it has a short handle. The one I bought is close to the first one. I haven't tried using eye shadow as liner in a long time. My eyelids are a little oily (more so when I was younger) but I may try it again.

I used to use eyeliner pencil...but have happily switched to Nars black eyeliner powder and use the exact angled brush that Jane showed in her post (Sephora). I have much more control with the brush than the pencil.

I use an angled Mac brush. Mac also has a great variety of dark shadows that can be used as eyeliner. I have a plummy black that is less harsh than straight black.:)

I came in here to say the EXACT same thing! I use a MAC brush that I bought a year and a half ago ($18 and worth every cent). The bristles are really stiff so they're perfect. I can do a small or big cat eye no problem. I don't think I could go back to pencil. I also use the MAC plummy black color. It's called "Shadow Lady" and it is amazing. Not shimmery and it stays put. Sometimes I wet the brush for a liquid liner effect. Hope this helps!!:)

I'm pretty expert when it comes to eyeliner. :) I line the top and bottoms with blackest black (I have black hair.). For those quick mornings, I use a MAC liner in nightclub(?- its black), its one of those click stick liners. I get it at Walmart and its cheaper than Avon. :eek:

For a nightout or when I have time, I use a black glitter eyeshadow. I use an Avon eyeliner brush and apply it on my lash line. I also like MAC's fluidline creme eyeshadow, but at 14 bucks a pot, I haven't bought any in a while. I will say this though, it is wonderful. It take forever to use up. Not sure how long, because I lost mine, but I had it for a while and only used a small portion. I also used an Avon brush for that.

Any hints on the 3rd brush pictured and using Smashbox's smudge pot liner? I've been a pencil user for years but need a new look as the eyes age. I think the smudge pot is too hard but maybe I'm doing it wrong or using the wrong brush? There's both a Sephora and a MAC store in our mall so if I need to buy a new anything, ideas welcome!

I use a tapered one that is kind of pointy but much fuller than the one that is pictured above. It isn't expensive, it came in a set from a drug store. I actually bought it for stage make-up to use as a wet brush with black eye shadow as a substitute for liner. I liked how easy it was to use and like the look of the wider but softer line so I've been using it for every day liner ever since.

I use the MAC eyeliner brush also or what is called a "push" brush. Its flat and square, and you can use it with cake liner or a powdered eyeshadow to line. I really like the one that I have (Urban Decay) because it has a slight curve on the end and it makes a really fine line. I think its called push because you get product on the brush and "push" the color into your lashline. :)

Try an art supply store!

Seriously, the very best eyeliner brush I've ever used is a Chinese silk angled brush, I think I paid about $6 for it about 5 years ago. But, you can find virtually any type, weight, length, angle brush in the art supply section of Michaels, Aaron Brothers or any other art supply shop. They even have fluffy brushes that are great for blush or powder, at a fraction of the cost of a makeup counter.

I learned this tip from a makeup artist/esthtician friend.

Try an art supply store!

Seriously, the very best eyeliner brush I've ever used is a Chinese silk angled brush, I think I paid about $6 for it about 5 years ago. But, you can find virtually any type, weight, length, angle brush in the art supply section of Michaels, Aaron Brothers or any other art supply shop. They even have fluffy brushes that are great for blush or powder, at a fraction of the cost of a makeup counter.

I learned this tip from a makeup artist/esthtician friend.

I've used very fine brushes from art stores for my eyeliner and they work just fine. However, artists brushes, used for blush or powder are too scratchy for my skin and/or do not apply the make-up in a soft veil of even color. The ones in the art supply store that would do the job properly are just as expensive as the the ones in the department/make-up stores, in my experience.

I know that many professional make-up artists use brushes from the art supply store. It makes sense for them, the brushes are cheaper and make-up artists go through tons of brushes. When you're doing faces all day long, brushes simply don't last as long and then many get lost or stolen. So, wanting to save $5. - $10. on a brush makes a ton of sense for them. For me personally, my make-up brushes last years so I don't feel a need to save a few dollars and would rather buy a product that's designed for my cosmetic bag. The handle of my $30. Trish McEvoy eye shadow brush broke after 5 years of use and I brought it back to Sak's and they happily gave me a new one with no questions asked and no receipt needed.

I'm not disagreeing with your choice. If the art store brushes work for you, that's great. It's just always good to hear all POV.

Archived