Transatlantics......

Kindlychap

Definition of transatlantic - see first post!  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Definition of transatlantic - see first post!

• Yes - it does include part of a longer cruise
    • No - it needs to be a complete trip in itself.

Bit of a semantic question, and one to which the ultimate answer doesn't really matter.....

If one does a cruise that includes a straight run from New York to Southampton or vice versa, but the cruise itself continues beyond the transatlantic or ends with the transatlantic having gone elsewhere before, does this count as a "proper transatlantic"?

Take for granted a direct sail without any stops. Anything else is a repositioning cruise!

Matthew

I'm guessing this has something to do with the "Crossing Status" of the first part of QE2's autumn colours cruise? ;)

I say it only counts if Cunard sells it separately, either as a WC segment (as the Winter and Spring crossings are) or as de facto crossings (as the farewell crossings and most/all QM2 crossings are). If I can't book the NYC<-->Soton segment alone, I don't count it.

I too would only count a "crossing" to be a voyage directly between NYC/Soton (excepting maybe stops in France/Germany).

I kind of want to know the consensus, because depending on the definition, I am or am not on the final solo QE2 crossing ever. Which has a certain mystique to it.

Also makes you wonder how Cunard counted up those 806 QE2 crossings.

IMHO (really, I don't know if my opinion is worth anything since I have no Cunard experience whatsoever but still)...

I think everytime a ship sails accross the Atlantic, it can be counted as a crossing no matter waht BUT I wouldn't expect the same formal transatlantic cruise experience if there were stops involved, I think it would feel more like a regular cruise.

I consider a ta to be "express" service from one port to another. End.

Now, you can book 24 nights rt NY (6 night ta, 12 night Europe, 6 night return). It's counted as one sailing "Europe". Or... you can book as ta, Europe, ta.

So I think that's pretty much the way Cunard looks at it too.

The ta's which are part of the world, are still called World in the rez system.

A repositioning cruise is one which takes the ship from one part of the planet after completion of a season of successive sailings to another part of the planet for another season of successive sailings.

I consider a ta to be "express" service from one port to another. End.

Now, you can book 24 nights rt NY (6 night ta, 12 night Europe, 6 night return). It's counted as one sailing "Europe". Or... you can book as ta, Europe, ta.

So I think that's pretty much the way Cunard looks at it too.

The ta's which are part of the world, are still called World in the rez system.

A repositioning cruise is one which takes the ship from one part of the planet after completion of a season of successive sailings to another part of the planet for another season of successive sailings.

Interesting. My Panama Canal + TA was originally marked as World Cruise by Cunard in the personalizer. A month later it had been broken down into two parts--which helps in getting me into Diamond...

Take for granted a direct sail without any stops. Anything else is a repositioning cruise!

So:

Southampton-Le Havre-New York

Southampton-Cherbourg-Queenstown-New York

Are repositioning cruises?

So much for those liners Aquitania or Queen Mary......or with a terminus in Liverpool, Mauretania......:rolleyes:

Peter

Bit of a semantic question, and one to which the ultimate answer doesn't really matter.....

If one does a cruise that includes a straight run from New York to Southampton or vice versa, but the cruise itself continues beyond the transatlantic or ends with the transatlantic having gone elsewhere before, does this count as a "proper transatlantic"?

Matthew

So, by your definition .... Queen Victoria is making a transatlantic crossing too??? ;)

I think if the crossing of the Atlantic is part of a longer cruise and the ship doesn't do a return then it is a cruise not a crossing. :eek:

Ken

On our QM2 crossing in 2006, the voyage actually began at Hamburg, and, indeed, the majority of passengers were German. The fact they called at Southampton to pick up some Brits, and let off some people who had been on a weekend trip to Hamburg, surely did not make the event less of a crossing for the Hamburg passengers or us. Jane

Semantics yes.

I consider it a trans-Atlantic if it starts in Europe and ends in either North or South America, and vice versa, regardless of routing and ports of call.

Whether it is a line voyage or a seasonal repositioning should not matter.

I think an even more important question is, " If a hedgehog sneezes in the hedge, and there are no transatlantic passengers around to hear it, does it still make a sound?" Threadsback

LOL Thread-y.....excellent analogy....just the moment of levity called for.

Personally, not that I can back it up or anything, I think that a "crossing" is just that...the ":crossing" of the ocean from one point or another. At least that's what I thought all of mine were...New York to Oslo....Oslo to New York..."crossing" the Atlantic each time.

And I do agree Paul...the ability to tie one's own tie equals a crossing....which is why I will no doubt be forced to cross alone as we all know who got a special dispensation to wear self tied on our cruise...I'd never dare ask for that for a "crossing"...that would be a "crossing" of the Atlantic...from one point to another.;)

I believe I shall now vote.....

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

So:

Southampton-Le Havre-New York

Southampton-Cherbourg-Queenstown-New York

Are repositioning cruises?

So much for those liners Aquitania or Queen Mary......or with a terminus in Liverpool, Mauretania......:rolleyes:

Peter

Mea Culpa...

Although you know full well what I meant, I agree I didn't say it.

Matthew

A Penny for my thoughts---wonderful! Threadhead

We aim to please.....;) ;)

Cheers, Penny...the one for the thoughts of course!:rolleyes:

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

So, by your definition .... Queen Victoria is making a transatlantic crossing too??? ;)

Ken

Of course. Some may argue it is a trifle ambitious, but a crossing it definitely is.....

Can I assume you're in agreement that it is unwise of her, given that you are flying to New York to meet her?

Matthew

On our QM2 crossing in 2006, the voyage actually began at Hamburg, and, indeed, the majority of passengers were German. The fact they called at Southampton to pick up some Brits, and let off some people who had been on a weekend trip to Hamburg, surely did not make the event less of a crossing for the Hamburg passengers or us. Jane

I refer to the honourable lady to the I answer I gave a moment ago.

Matthew

And I do agree Paul...the ability to tie one's own tie equals a crossing...

Unless, of course, some flirtatious babe pulled at one end and unraveled it, thereby rendering one undressed in public, and getting one thrown out of Queens grill) which would be a Double-crossing.

anon

Unless, of course, some flirtatious babe pulled at one end and unraveled it, thereby rendering one undressed in public, and getting one thrown out of Queens grill) which would be a Double-crossing.

anon

Not a good trick to pull on Queens' Grill regulars, unless you feel an urge to fight ex-Ghurka riflemen.

Matthew

Of course. Some may argue it is a trifle ambitious, but a crossing it definitely is.....

Can I assume you're in agreement that it is unwise of her, given that you are flying to New York to meet her?

Matthew

Not at all - I've just got better things to do with precious holiday time than spend it on the Atlantic in January. So, if QV is doing crossings in January (ambitious or not - your words not mine) then that makes her a liner right?? ;)

Of course, she won't be able to sail as fast forward as QE2 could do in reverse, which is such a useful achievement. It will stand her in good stead in Dubai don't you think :rolleyes:

This is an interesting question. Back in the 70s, when the Italian Line was running a 4 ship North American service, the Cristoforo Colombo and Leonardo Da Vinci would regularly stop at Boston, Halifax, the Azores, and Lisbon between the straits of Gibraltar (Algeciras) and New York, whereas the Michelangelo and Raffaello ran the express service between NY and Algeciras before continuing on to Naples, Cannes and Genoa. These (Colombo and Da Vinci) were not considered cruises, because a 3 class (first, cabin, and tourist) service was offered. At that time, only the cruises were one class. In 1972 or 1973, there was a one time, one class cruise on the France between NY and Nice. I believe that there were no stops in between. It was marketed in the brochures as a cruise since the regular crossing went to Southampton and Le Havre. So I think a crossing would be a regular run between points in North America and Europe regardless of stops, and anything else is a cruise.

So I think a crossing would be a regular run between points in North America and Europe regardless of stops

I think regular hits the nail on the head - so really only the QM2 is crossing, all the others are cruising - including the liner.

Peter

Archived