Time zone & cell phone ?

Vacationer17

Wondering if my cell phone/text message will work while we are sailing between Grand Cayman & Jamaica on New Year's Eve and what the heck time zone will we be in? Wanting to contact some friends at our/their midnites...ya know it's a tradition to call friends & family and we don't want to miss it if we don't have to :) Need to contact Chicago & Hawaii.....if you are a time zone genius....please help! Thanks!

p.s. I have Cingular if anyone has any experience with them at sea?

You'll have access fees and roaming charges using your cell phone at sea, but your phone must have international access capability. You need to have a GSM or GPRS phone in order for it to work at sea. Depending on your calling plan, the charges can run anywhere from $2.50 to $4.99 a minute. Not cheap

I also want to add that if you want to use your phone at sea check with the cruise line (some post in on their web sites) and it will show if they offer the service and if they support your particular cell phone provider. But, remember, there is a combined cost. We try to avoid using ours at sea for that reason but it is good to know that a family member could reach us much easier this way then going through the cruise line if there was an emergency.

Keith

Archived