Just off Caribbean Princess sitting in airport waiting for flight

Elationismyship

If there is one thing I can tell you (at least for flying home out of Fort Lauderdale) book an early flight. We have a 2:35 flight on NorthWest and we are sitting on the floor of the airport with about 1000 other people (right now). We did not do anything to get off the ship early, waited for our call, grabbed a cab to the airport and we were here at 9:10 - no rush, no problems. With all the airlines, you CAN NOT check you luggage earlier than 3 hours before the flight departure with any of the airline. So, you are sitting in the airport (with not too many benches) waiting for the 3 hour mark so that you can at least check your luggage and get through security. At least through security you can have a place to eat.

One positive, the airport has great free wireless internet.

We encountered the same problem @ FLL before.

One thing that we did find out is that they often allow you to do curbside check in before the 3 hour limit. Keeps you from having to huddle your luggage.

Doesn't keep you from trying to find a comfortable seat:rolleyes:

Charlie

In these cases, consider yourself lucky that you got there early.

I'm still of the school that you book at noon or 1PM just go give lee-way for any potential problems (i.e. the Smith family not reporting to settle their bar tab or there are 6 ships in simultaneosly and there is a shortage of cabs to the airport).

The way I look at it, better to get there early and have to kill some time vs. gettin there late and watchinig your flight leave without you.

IMO, if you are going to do the route of booking a flight say after 1:30 -- I'd either do an excursion off the ship to kill some time or book a cheap hotel by the airport and go there right off the ship. Seriously, there were at least 1000 people sitting in the airport (and I don't mean after security where there are magazine shops and restaurants) this is in the luggage loading zone. They won't let you book curb side more than 3 hours prior either . . . There were many of us trying.

You're right better to be early than miss your flight but sitting 6 hours before a flight (3 of them on a concrete floor at the airport) is rough.

You can also head to one of the many hotels near the airport and kill some time there, possibly having a nice meal before your flight. Lots of hotels have free shuttles, so just put your bags on the shuttle, go get a meal and a break from the crowd and relax.

Or rent a car for a few hours. You can usually get a car for less than $25.00 on Priceline for the day (I have booked on my laptop while waiting to disembark-went right to the airport and got the car). Luggage storage, a place to sleep???, a trip to the beach, International Swimming Hall of Fame (lots of Olympic Gold medals), lots and lots of options.

If there is one thing I can tell you (at least for flying home out of Fort Lauderdale) book an early flight. We have a 2:35 flight on NorthWest and we are sitting on the floor of the airport with about 1000 other people (right now). We did not do anything to get off the ship early, waited for our call, grabbed a cab to the airport and we were here at 9:10 - no rush, no problems. With all the airlines, you CAN NOT check you luggage earlier than 3 hours before the flight departure with any of the airline. So, you are sitting in the airport (with not too many benches) waiting for the 3 hour mark so that you can at least check your luggage and get through security. At least through security you can have a place to eat.

One positive, the airport has great free wireless internet.

Your lucky! I've been standing on the ship at waiting for some idiots to present themselves. By the time we got luggage and cleared we missed our 11:55 flight.

So, I don't promote early flights. I rather wait with the free WiFi.

Archived