Another passport ????

Smellytoes

Has anyone heard anything about the passport requirement being delayed yet again?? I thought I heard something on the news but when I checked the State Dept. website there was nothing new there. I'm very curious as to whether or not passports will be required for summer 08 cruises.

Check the passport web site. It seems that they have created a permanent exception for US travelers on cruises. You may never need one for the Caribbean.

Here is the link:

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1182350422171.shtm

"The departments have also identified unique circumstances for specific groups of travelers that warrant permitting the use of alternative documents.

• U.S. citizens on round trip cruise ship voyages that originate and end in the United States may present a government-issued photo ID and birth certificates, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization."

The quote is about half way down the page.

Check the passport web site. It seems that they have created a permanent exception for US travelers on cruises. You may never need one for the Caribbean.

Here is the link:

http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1182350422171.shtm

"The departments have also identified unique circumstances for specific groups of travelers that warrant permitting the use of alternative documents.

• U.S. citizens on round trip cruise ship voyages that originate and end in the United States may present a government-issued photo ID and birth certificates, Consular Reports of Birth Abroad or Certificates of Naturalization."

The quote is about half way down the page.

Interesting.

While those documents may get you back into the U.S., will all Caribbean nations also accept them as valid entry documents? For example, I thought I read the other day that Barbados requires a valid U.S. passport for entry into the country. So, I guess my question is this: You'll be able to get back into the U.S. with less than a passport, but will you be able to get off the ship in all the ports without a passport?

Always a good idea to have a passport when going outside the US. In the event of something unforeseen -- it could come in handy. Suppose the ship is disabled for some reason and NCL has to fly you back home. How are you going to get into the US at an airport on a foreign flight without a passport?

Interesting.

While those documents may get you back into the U.S., will all Caribbean nations also accept them as valid entry documents? For example, I thought I read the other day that Barbados requires a valid U.S. passport for entry into the country. So, I guess my question is this: You'll be able to get back into the U.S. with less than a passport, but will you be able to get off the ship in all the ports without a passport?

Short answer is yes, you will note that when you enter a Caribbean island by cruise ship you are never required to present your passport, and in fact right now you don't have to have one anyway. If the islands choose to change their entry requirements then you will be responsible for complying with those rules, but the truth is that the islands do not want to make it difficult for cruise passengers to come in for the day, the economic impact if they did would be devastating to their economies.

I thought I read the other day that Barbados requires a valid U.S. passport for entry into the country. So, I guess my question is this: You'll be able to get back into the U.S. with less than a passport, but will you be able to get off the ship in all the ports without a passport?

The Caribbean countries I'm familiar with that require a passport for entry have made exceptions for cruise ship passengers:

from: http://www.vacation-in-barbados.com/entry-requirements-for-barbados.html

BARBADOS ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR CRUISE SHIP PASSENGERS

Cruise ship passengers who are in transit and stay in Barbados for less than 24 hours are not required to have a valid passport.

If you are planning on taking a cruise which departs from Barbados and returns to Barbados (e.g the Carnival Destiny Barbados southern Caribbean cruise ) you are required to have a valid passport.

If you are a cruise ship passenger in transit to take a flight from Barbados then you are also required to have a valid passport.

I guess I'll never understand why someone who is willing to pay thousands for a cruise would balk at a once in a lifetime expenditure of around $90......

get over it and just get one...better to have it and not worry about it!

While I agree with you, I can also see the other side of the coin...Why should I spend that money when I don't have to?

Yea, why spend the money I would have spent on booze since I no longer smuggle it when somebody said I could afford it since I already spent 2k on the cruise?

ps - I have had a passport for years myself, but it can add a big expense for a once in a lifetime cruise family

Yea, why spend the money I would have spent on booze since I no longer smuggle it when somebody said I could afford it since I already spent 2k on the cruise?

ps - I have had a passport for years myself, but it can add a big expense for a once in a lifetime cruise family

Amen to that. It would cost us over $700 to get passports for our family.

The passports may not be necessary, but when the customs agents check your ID coming back into the country, they can be a real pain in the a**. Because they have the control. Every city, county and state have different birth certificates. I have seen where the customs agents really go over them with a fine tooth comb. In one instance they didn't like the groups paperwor and had them go intoanother roomfor further proof. they happened to be in front of us and delayed our line by 20 minutes.....Just because they didn't have good enough documentation to go thru customs. those with passports walked right thru. After that day, we got our passports and they are hardly looked at going thru customs...Best investment ever.:)

I guess I'll never understand why someone who is willing to pay thousands for a cruise would balk at a once in a lifetime expenditure of around $90......

get over it and just get one...better to have it and not worry about it!

Me and my family all have passports. We may take one of my son's friends with us on a cruise this summer but have to wait until last minute to book it. (son's friend does not have a passport) I know it's better to have a passport but this kid does not have one and I'd hate to see him not be able to go because of it.

I just can't understand the rationale behind someone who will leave the USA and spend a large sum of money to do so, but balks at $10 per year (passport fee divided by life of passport).

These people really need to examine their thinking!

This kid wouldn't be spending large sums of money to go on this cruise. We would be using our CC points to take him. This kid wouldn't get the opportunity to cruise if we didn't. He comes from a family with 7 children (all boys:eek: ) His family works very hard but with college educations and stuff cruising isn't on the priority list. He's a good kid and I'd like to be able to take him. But the passport issue would get in the way.

After having read countless similar threads, here's a question I've never seen thrown into the mix: What is the cost of a certified birth certificate versus a passport? I'm guessing few people have a certified birth certificate just sitting around the house. Plus, if the person in question is over 16, a government-issued I.D. is required. If he/she doesn't already have one (e.g., a drivers' license), obtaining a state-issued I.D. card is an additional expense. I'm guessing that by the time people have purchased these things, they're approaching the point where they might as well have gone ahead and gotten the passport, the gold standard of I.D.s?

(I'm speaking rhetorically, Smelly, not about your case in particular.)

After having read countless similar threads, here's a question I've never seen thrown into the mix: What is the cost of a certified birth certificate versus a passport? I'm guessing few people have a certified birth certificate just sitting around the house. Plus, if the person in question is over 16, a government-issued I.D. is required. If he/she doesn't already have one (e.g., a drivers' license), obtaining a state-issued I.D. card is an additional expense. I'm guessing that by the time people have purchased these things, they're approaching the point where they might as well have gone ahead and gotten the passport, the gold standard of I.D.s?

(I'm speaking rhetorically, Smelly, not about your case in particular.)

The cost of a certified bc is $8.00 where we live (I guess the cost could vary according to where you live) and this kid is 14 so he wouldn't need a photo id. I know it's better to have the passport but I just wish our government would make a decision and stick to it.:rolleyes:

I'm trying to remember back when I got my passport...and I could be wrong, but I think I needed 2 passport approved photos, govt issued photo ID, and proof that I was a citizen of the US.

I used my DL, and the birth certificate that I have had since I was a kid and needed in order to play little league baseball. AND I had to send the BC in with the passport application, (they returned it with the passport-and no, it wasn't the hospital cert with the footprints-it was a state certified one). So at least in my case the cost of the passport would have been in addition to the cost of the BC/ID that I had previously used to cruise.

In fact I remember specifically that I had a cruise booked and was worried about getting the passport back in time, since I had to send the BC in with the application.

Personally, I wish the govt would get the "passport card" that they've talked about set up b4 they make a passport mandatory

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2006/74083.htm

If you got your passports, the wonders of traveling the world opens up. How about traveling to Sydney, Singapore, London, Paris, or Rio?

I doubt that someone who has troubles with the $ for the passport would be especially in the market for those vacations.

This kid wouldn't be spending large sums of money to go on this cruise. We would be using our CC points to take him. This kid wouldn't get the opportunity to cruise if we didn't. He comes from a family with 7 children (all boys:eek: ) His family works very hard but with college educations and stuff cruising isn't on the priority list. He's a good kid and I'd like to be able to take him. But the passport issue would get in the way.

Some possibilities -- give him the cost of the passport as a New Year's gift. Or loan him the money to get his passport with the understanding he can pay you back when he finishes school and goes to work. The passport will be good for 10 years -- so even if he does not use it to cruise with you this summer, he can use it anytime in the next 10 years.

Plus, it makes for a great piece of ID -- for example, when flying or checking into a hotel.

Personally, I wish the govt would get the "passport card" that they've talked about set up b4 they make a passport mandatory...
The passport card is specifically what Congress chose not to fund last week and thus the delay until at least June 2009. Because of the public comments on this proposal (the last phase of the WHTI) many of which asked for an Enhanced Driver License exception, it will take additional time to define and approve and add EDL's into the mix. Now instead of a simple 'gotta have a passport/passcard to cross a border' the law will be 'gotta have a passport/passcard unless you are on a RT US cruise or a Kickapoo tribe member or age up to 15 on a school trip or making a land crossing with an EDL from an approved state."

JMO--If everyone who posts on this board to "just get a passport" would take the time to make a public comment to Congress in addition to here, there would be fewer exceptions and this law would already be implemented.

The passport card is specifically what Congress chose not to fund last week and thus the delay until at least June 2009. .

In that case I agree with the delay :D (won't affect us-we have passports)

Damn-I'm Chippewa not Kickapoo ;)

I just can't understand the rationale behind someone who will leave the USA and spend a large sum of money to do so, but balks at $10 per year (passport fee divided by life of passport).

These people really need to examine their thinking!

If they let us pay at the rate of $10 per year we would be fine with that. :rolleyes:

Archived