DH wants to wear T-neck not tie on formal nt

shops54

I am NOT complaining - on this my 20th anniversary with the sweetest man on earth. Just wondering if we will be allowed into the dining room with him in a Turtleneck and sport coat or suit ?? I will be in a formal gown. I told him I'd really miss him in the dining room that night;). He just hates so bad wearing a tie - it reminds him of work. He just told me last night that he doesn't wear a tie every day now - keeps two in his desk drawer for meetings! He's pretty cute in his turtleneck so I'm fine with it. What can people tell me? We're on the Oosterdam in early January. Thanks so much.

As long as you're not on my cruise I'm fine with it. How dare you suggest ruining the dining experience and even the entire cruise for all those other passengers who want a formal experience?! Shame on you! Shame shame shame! ;)

I'd say he should wear what he wants, as long as it looks nice. Vacations are a time to relax, anybody who gets uptight about what other people are wearing needs a reality check. I doubt you'll be stopped on the way in, in my limited experience the dining staff gets more lenient as the cruise wears on.

sail7seas,

I had thought about that and decided that I'll have the gown along but may change to a cocktail dress if it feels too unbalanced. Hey, he's practically perfect in every way (like Mary Poppins). I can live with this small shortcoming. Thanks so much everyone.

A suit (not a sports coat) with a turtleneck (not a mock-T) would be fine. Quite "continental", in fact. It's what I would wear if I weren't wearing a tux. It's also something we saw in the finest places in Florence on our recent trip to Italy (which is what gave ME the idea!).

A suit (not a sports coat) with a turtleneck (not a mock-T) would be fine. Quite "continental", in fact. It's what I would wear if I weren't wearing a tux. It's also something we saw in the finest places in Florence on our recent trip to Italy (which is what gave ME the idea!).

Why not buy him a nice imported turtleneck to complement his suit? Good way to assure him you're fine with the concept.

We were on the Oosterdam this September and our tablemates didn't get their luggage until the third day (cruiseline error). They had to wear t-shirts and jeans to the first formal night. Our waiters were so nice to them and told them to come to dinner anyway. We didn't care either, as we enjoyed meeting them and sharing good conversation. I did feel bad cuz they were on their honeymoon -- but they took it all in stride. If you and your husband are comfortable then go for it! I'm sure some people judge what everyone looks like, even those in fancy gowns and tuxes but you're not there for them anyway.

I am NOT complaining - on this my 20th anniversary with the sweetest man on earth. Just wondering if we will be allowed into the dining room with him in a Turtleneck and sport coat or suit ?? I will be in a formal gown. I told him I'd really miss him in the dining room that night;). He just hates so bad wearing a tie - it reminds him of work. He just told me last night that he doesn't wear a tie every day now - keeps two in his desk drawer for meetings! He's pretty cute in his turtleneck so I'm fine with it. What can people tell me? We're on the Oosterdam in early January. Thanks so much.

He will wear a tie to a meeting at work but not on a formal night during your 20th anniversary cruise, while you are in a formal gown?! My opinion is that he should dress up as formally as you do because it is a special time.

He will wear a tie to a meeting at work but not on a formal night during your 20th anniversary cruise, while you are in a formal gown?! My opinion is that he should dress up as formally as you do because it is a special time.

Why??? What makes it incumbent upon the husband to dress if he does not choose to.:confused: My DH chooses not to dress up most of the time, he will if he wants to. On quite a few formal nights I dine in the DR while he dines comfortably in the Lido. I don't force him to dress up, he doesn't force me to dress down.:D That's what makes cruising so great! To each his/her own.

Bless you, Shops, and your DH on your 20th Anniversary! What an occasion for rejoicing!

Just from my own observation over the past 13 years of cruising with HAL, I have never seen a man turned away from the main dining room on Formal Night if he is at least wearing a jacket. Hence, do not be at all concerned about that. A tie would be "proper," of course, but in today's "Formal Style" there are several formal ensembles which do not include ties. A formal Turtleneck shirt is one of them. Another would be a formal neckband shirt. Either would look quite nice on a gentlemen dressed in a Suit. As a suggestion, go to Men's Wearhouse and ask them to show you some white neckband shirts ... particularly one with the placket front covering the buttons. Those really look great. Indeed, they're quite a bit like the clergy shirts that I wear sans the stiff "dog" coller.

I'd suggest a very high-quality silk turtleneck. But I think as long as he's wearing a good dark suit, it should be fine. And you should wear what makes you feel most lovely and glamorous.

Congratulations, and enjoy your 20th anniversary. DH and I just celebrated ours, and a HAL cruise was a wonderful way to do it.

PS: If you don't want the staff to make a public fuss in the dining room on your anniversary date (I'm all for it, but my DH would have been mortified), just let them know, and they'll refrain - and you'll still get a cake!

We were just on the Oosterdam and I am sure your husband will be porperty attired.

As a side note there was a gentleman dining the same time we were every night, and our group of six has never been known to notice others peoples dress but this man...came to dinner each night with a different baseball hat, on the formal night it was black leather. He was asked to remove it and he never did. Not being one to judge others I think maybe he had a scalp problem he wanted to hide.

Taken from AskMen.com

Black tie

A black-tie event is always very formal, so tuxedos are required. Go with the classic black tux -- jacket, satin-striped trousers, cummerbund, and bow tie -- and you’ll be perfectly outfitted for the occasion.

Formal

Make sure not to confuse formal and black tie. Traditionally, men sport a complete suit -- tie, cufflinks and all -- to events that specify formal wear. While suits are still very much in style, in some trendier cities it has become appropriate to wear a suit without a tie to some formal functions.

My husband did this on the 2nd formal night on our last cruise and he looked better than he did in his shirt and tie. He hates ties, he always feels like he's going to choke, so when he feels better , he looks better and ......his mood is much better, so it made myself and our tablemates feel better too!!!

sail7seas,

I had thought about that and decided that I'll have the gown along but may change to a cocktail dress if it feels too unbalanced. Hey, he's practically perfect in every way (like Mary Poppins). I can live with this small shortcoming. Thanks so much everyone.

You should never talk about your husband and use the word shortcoming in the same sentence.

This discussion reminds me of an experience I had a very long time ago at a fancy french restaurant in NY City. I had reservations for a special night and showed up in (what I thought) was elegant continental attire of a dark suit and white turtle neck. The maitre'd refused to allow me in without a tie. He then proceeded to offer me a tie they had set aside for such occasions. Unbelievable, they would let me in looking like a clown with a ridiculous striped tie around my turtle neck, but not in my quite nice attire!

But "Rules are Rules!" :rolleyes:

Jim

Archived