Debit Card

Eyecruise

Does RCCL allow one to use a debit card instead of a credit card at sign-in to pay for ship expenses?

If I were you, I'd ask this question in the RCCL forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

I hope you get the answer you're looking for :) . (From what I've read, most cruise lines don't take debit cards.)

Every cruise line allows debit cards.....but.....they can be a huge problem. Cruise lines will run your card every few days, and unless you keep your onboard charges within your limit, the card will be rejected. It makes no difference if you have a million dollars in your checking account to cover the charges, most banks have a low limit, to prevent fraud, and unless you can get your bank to increase your limit, it will be a huge hassle. I know that some debit cards can have a limit as low as $150 a day. So first check with your bank as to how much a per item limit you have. If it's low, see if they will increase it.

Yes, RCCL allows you to use debit cards to secure your onboard account. I would recommend against it though, as they will place holds on your account which can take up to 30 days to be removed (eg, they place a hold of $500 on your account before you spend to make sure it is valid, at the end of the cruise they then charge the $500, but that $500 hold is also still out there until the bank removes it). In addition you have to check with your bank to find out what your daily spending limit is. Most banks will give you the option of temporarily raising your daily spending limit but check with your specific bank to make sure.

Here's a suggestion.

When you first check in use a credit card. Then the day before you disembark your cruise settle your account with your debit card. That way you avoid the issues described above.

Be sure to contact your debit card bank company to know what the maxium amount you can be charged on your debit card and if you believe what you spend on the cruise line will exceed this then see if the debit card company would lift this ceiling for you. And if they won't then another option is to pay with a combination of cash and your debit card.

Keith

Here's a suggestion.

When you first check in use a credit card. Then the day before you disembark your cruise settle your account with your debit card. That way you avoid the issues described above.

Be sure to contact your debit card bank company to know what the maxium amount you can be charged on your debit card and if you believe what you spend on the cruise line will exceed this then see if the debit card company would lift this ceiling for you. And if they won't then another option is to pay with a combination of cash and your debit card.

Keith

and tell your bank the dates and places you will be traveling....that is another possible fraud trigger and you don't want to have to fight with them long distance!

wow...I always use my debit card ,well at least the last 5 years or so(about 7 or 8 cruises) and I haven't had these issues...hope I never do ...I know there ar daily limits and per itme limits...

had the isuue in Paris but never on any cruise so perhaps the best advice is to have the person speak with their bank and get the ifs, ands, and buts...every bank is different

I have cruised for many many years and I always used my debit card. I have never had any issue. About a week prior to the cruise, I let the bank know that I iwll be out of the country for 7-10 days and the charges that they see are fine (at this point the bank knows we cruise every year so they expect it)

I have never had the cruise line/bank hold onto any money or tie up my account for more than a day.

I would not worry about this as the cruise lines and banks are much better with this sort of thing than they were years ago.

Have a wonderful cruise

One of the biggest problems with debit cards is the fraud issue. I've had customers not even know there was fraud/theft until they got their statement. Knowing my luck, I would get a decline after an unauthorized use. There are also the daily limit issue (both cash and purchase) and the reason they are there is for the Bank's protection and the consumers protection as if there was none (or a large one) someone could run the card for a few grand and not even knowing it.

I prefer credit cards for the protection and if there is an issue I don't need to fight for my money back as I can use theirs until it is resolved. I'm typically not an alarmist but I have dealt with many of my customers and their problems with debit card use (I would even venture to guess most of them have said "I've done this before and haven't had a problem").

My favorite one was actually a customer / friend that had reserved a hotel room in CA using their debit card and actually paid with a credit card. By the time he got his statement there was another card made with his info and there was more charges at Denny's, WalMart, Target etc than we could keep track off up to about $16K. I had to cover his checks for a few days until I got a provisional credit so eventually, no harm to him. We keep joking about him providing someone a good Christmas in CA.

That's a hassle I would not need but obviously do what you feel comfortable with.

Your answers are what I expected. One of my group of 50 traveling in January does not have any credit cards. Will have to work something out to avoid the Sunday morning hassle.

They can pay cash up front and replenish if needed and no need to worry about debit card concerns....simple answer !

• 4 weeks later...

I called my bank today and asked what my limit is. They stated it is $1,000 a day. They did say the day does not begin and end at midnight. It is sometime in the afternoon around 3 or 4. They said the $1,000 can be in one or more purchases. Just thought I would share. Also make sure that your card does have the Visa symbol and is not just an ATM card. ATM cards are not accepted.

Archived