Recessed balconies on the Voyager??

The pics of the Voyager appear to show the cabin balconies to be more recessed, have less glass, and more enclosed than the balconies on the Vision and Radiance classes. For those that have been in JS or D1 on the Voyager, Vision and Radiance classes, do you still get the same open-air feel on the Voyager balcony? Thanks!

Once you are out on the balcony, you can still see the ocean and feel the winds!!! It's true, the walls of the balcony aren't glass, but it really doesn't make THAT much of a difference! Most folks spend their "sea-gazing" time planted at the balcony rail, anyway, so you still see everything available to be seen!

I've found, even on ships will glass railings, it's difficult to see through the glass, as there is salt and sea-spray dirtying up the glass!

Any balcony is better than none!!!!!

The pics of the Voyager appear to show the cabin balconies to be more recessed, have less glass, and more enclosed than the balconies on the Vision and Radiance classes. For those that have been in JS or D1 on the Voyager, Vision and Radiance classes, do you still get the same open-air feel on the Voyager balcony? Thanks!

....and the balconies on Voyager/Explorer/Adventure are more private ;)

The solid bottom below the rail on VY is not a factor when standing u or sitting in a chair. The "glass" below the rail does provide a more open look but I didn't feel closed in at all. Unless the ship is rolling pretty good you can not see the sea from laying on the bed. :rolleyes:

We loved our balcony. In April, I'll have a something to compare it to. There are some views of them in my pictures below.

For those who do not know. ;)

Here is the difference on the Mariner and the Navigator Voyager class ships with the clear balconies. We love to be able to see the water while sitting down and from inside the cabin.;)

1620 is the Royal Suite. Someone labeled it wrong?

2001251604247032898_rs.jpg

Here are some balcony shots of the Explorer. This should give you an idea of the difference between the enclosed balconies on the Voyager, Explorer, and Adventure compared to the open balconies on Mariner and Navigator.

2409943300064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

2604791420064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

2271068490064365838S600x600Q85.jpg

I personally prefer the APPEARANCE of Navigator et. al... but as far as being on the balconies of both, both were fine and both had their benefits and drawbacks.

One of the above posters made the point about privacy... I second that. The newer generation balconies are less private, but also less cavernous.

So, what do you think?

2020106510100235386S600x600Q85.jpg

Definitely more privacy;), and no worries if your neighbors leave the balcony light on:D - we loved it!

Hi Hillhouse,

Thank you for the picture :). Was it taken on the Voyager? If so, what type of room did you have? I ask b/c I read on another post that tables in the balcony staterooms on the Voyager are too small to dine on. Thank you!

Hi Hillhouse,

Thank you for the picture :). Was it taken on the Voyager? If so, what type of room did you have? I ask b/c I read on another post that tables in the balcony staterooms on the Voyager are too small to dine on. Thank you!

This was a Grand Suite on the Voyager, so you're actually looking at half of the balcony:cool:. With this size balcony, you get a large and small table, along with a lounger and 2 chairs.

Here's a stock RCCL promo photo of an oceanview with balcony - you can see the actual furniture (and, yes, a very small table):

<a href=2734981890100235386S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

Thank you Hillhouse. I will make do with the small balcony table... Hey, I have a balcony! That's good enough:D

I wonder if I can request a bigger table?:confused: Will it fit?

That's the spirit! On our upcoming cruise, we've booked an E2 hump to stay close to our travel mates (16 first-time cruisers on deck 6 midship). We too will happily "make do" with our balcony!

As far as the bigger table goes, I understand that your cabin steward will not bring deck chairs, loungers or tables to your cabin. I also understand that he/she will not take any of the aforementioned items away if they show up.

I see a YouTube video in the making - pax being chased about the ship by crew, while carrying a "borrowed" table:D. Make sure the camcorder battery is fully charged, and let us know when to make the popcorn!

Happy sailing,

Dave

For those that may be wondering why the difference. When Voyager was designed, which is the first of the Voyager class ships, the steel surrounding the balconies was needed as structural support for the ship. Richard Fain requested that the designer figure out a way to make the balconies glass. They figured out how to move the needed structural support to the interior of the ship but not before the first three (Voyager, Explorer and Adventure) were committed.

That's the spirit! On our upcoming cruise, we've booked an E2 hump to stay close to our travel mates (16 first-time cruisers on deck 6 midship). We too will happily "make do" with our balcony!

As far as the bigger table goes, I understand that your cabin steward will not bring deck chairs, loungers or tables to your cabin. I also understand that he/she will not take any of the aforementioned items away if they show up.

I see a YouTube video in the making - pax being chased about the ship by crew, while carrying a "borrowed" table:D. Make sure the camcorder battery is fully charged, and let us know when to make the popcorn!

Happy sailing,

Dave

LOL - that image is just too funny!! I will certainly let you know. Thanks again.

Archived