What does this Dutch tile say?

purplenorway

Copper, will most likely not be on line till tomorrow he has gone to San Diego and has plans for this evening but I have bets he brought his lap top with him and will be checking in tomorrow.;)

Becky we also got the same tile on the Oosterdam last week. So that makes 3 of the 4 tiles for this year that we were able to obtain.:)

The bottom line is "Where is that ship going to? North America my child." the top is " Holland America Steamship Company". I don't know the bit on the left. I know Copper can do a much better job.

Great job!:)

Top: Netherlands-American Steamship Company - Rotterdam

Left: Tickets (billetes has a French origin) are handed out to all places/cities/destinations of the United States

Bottom/Little girl: Where is that ship going to?

Mother: To America, my child ("naar" is "to" - "noord" is "north")

It's a nice tegel/tile, isn't it?:)

Left: Tickets (billetes has a French origin) are handed out to all places/cities/destinations of the United States

Thanks. We received two of these on the Westerdam this year. I love the design so could not understand why folks were saying they were not that nice. I hope we get a different one on the Noordam. I am also hoping that the Eurodam three day out of NY has the one with the Statute of Liberty. They are calling the 3 day an inaugual sailing. (I guess North American Inaugual).

Rumor has it that now one must attend the "mariners brunch" to receive your tiles. I don't know if this is true. In Oct. we got them in our cabin. I leave next week and will find out for myself.
On the Zuiderdam Dec 15-22 we got them at the Mariner's Brunch. Once again it appears that HAL is inconsistent from ship to ship!

I am also hoping that the Eurodam three day out of NY has the one with the Statute of Liberty.
Do you know (or does anyone know) if they will using the same set of four for 2008?

On our cruise on the Amsterdam in May we did not get our delivered, nor did we get our 50th day pins. We had to go ask for them. It took the excitement or thrill of receiving them away. We did receive them and they were finally delivered before the mariners get together. There were alot of medallions given out on the cruise. That was really nice to see. Only 48 days more before we get one.

Nice translation Copper !

Het is inderdaad een mooi tegeltje :)

Nice translation Copper !

Het is inderdaad een mooi tegeltje :)

Hi there Mr. de Hollander, hoe gaat het er mee?/How are you doing?

I was kinda struggling with the word "billetten". I took that as "old Dutch" for (fare) tickets, don't think it's used anymore nowadays "kaartjes" having taken its place

Archived