Sea Sick ?

alisa726

DH & I have been on several cruises but Brillance in April will be DD & DS 1st cruise. They are 3 & 5, are they too young for sea sick pills? We live in SW Florida and own a boat so they are used to hitting waves out in the gulf. Should I still plan for some sea sickness from them? DH & I never had that problem so I am not fimiliar w/ the options available. Should I see their doctor before we go?

Thanks in advance.

DH & I have been on several cruises but Brillance in April will be DD & DS 1st cruise. They are 3 & 5, are they too young for sea sick pills? We live in SW Florida and own a boat so they are used to hitting waves out in the gulf. Should I still plan for some sea sickness from them? DH & I never had that problem so I am not fimiliar w/ the options available. Should I see their doctor before we go?

Thanks in advance.

For a topic this important it is probably best to consult a doctor rather than rely on this board for advice on medicating young children. Better safe than sorry. Hopefully they will end up not needing anything based on there boating experience. Have a nice vacation.

do some research online too, Ive heard of a new method for seasickness and its actually a wristband that prevents it from happening. They also have patches for behind the ear, but I dont know if your kids would want to wear them. Its better to be safe then sorry when it comes to seasickness! Happy Cruising!

As already posted, I would certainly check with my doctor regarding meds for children that young, but in addition to that, ground ginger (available in capsule form in the vitamin section) is a good thing to keep on hand, as is ginger ale. We've also been told by several different crew members on different ships that green apples somehow help to settle the stomach. They're always available onboard.

Thanks in advance.

If the children have been out in small boats in the gulf and haven't become seasick my guess is they will be fine on a huge cruise ship. But perhaps you can get some medication from your family doctor beforehand in case they do get sick. Better that than having to take them to the ship's doctor which will cost big bucks.

I tried the seasickness medication once and didn't like the sedative effect it had. And after 4 cruises I have never been sick.

Some cruise lines put out baskets of green apples when the weather's bad. I think the kids will be fine, however. We just came back from a cruise that had several days of really rocky weather. There were lots of young kids on board (younger than school age). They seemed to do fine - kids don't have pre-conceived ideas about being seasick.

Have a great time!

Thanks in advance.

First, because your children are used to being in small boats in the gulf without problems they are not likely to have any issues on a cruise ship. For some reason kids seem to do better that adults.

Second I am going to echo the advice of a couple of people. DO NOT trust any information concerning drugs, or over the counter items other than apples and ginger ale unless it comes from your children's physician. Children are not really small adults and because they are all so precious rely on the professionals.

Thanks for the information about green apples & ginger ale. My kids love both. I will get some more advice from their doctor just in case but I'm sure they will be fine. We have been out over night in the gulf in 30ft boat w/out problems. Once storm came up on us, and neither got sick but their cousin did and we were rocking.

It is just thinking about every little thing for their 1st cruise to be great. I've been waiting so long to get to the 3 yr old age so they can go to the adventure club and have a really fun time. Thanks again.

I get car sick if I read in the car, so my DH did some checking on different things. My first cruise we had 8-13 ft. swells, it was a ghost town on the ship with so many people getting sick. Most had the wrist bands and the things attached to the ear....still they got sick. We used the Ginger tablets and I never got sick. I would highly recommend the Ginger. If you notice the first day, there are several menu items that have ginger in them. I think that is a reason.

Thanks for the information about green apples & ginger ale. My kids love both. I will get some more advice from their doctor just in case but I'm sure they will be fine. We have been out over night in the gulf in 30ft boat w/out problems. Once storm came up on us, and neither got sick but their cousin did and we were rocking.

It is just thinking about every little thing for their 1st cruise to be great. I've been waiting so long to get to the 3 yr old age so they can go to the adventure club and have a really fun time. Thanks again.

I think they'll be fine if they've never experienced it before, but do check with the Doctor and it's great to be thinking of everything (just make sure to stop thinking of everything and relax once you get on board :) )

My kids showed they had inherited my get sick on a boat or bus or car or anywhere just for fun gene, LOL and we do okay on ships - not so great on smaller boats unless they go fast - similarly we are roller coaster addicts and are fine on the fast and scary ones but I cannot ride a carousel without getting ill to save my life :) But I saw these signs in my kids before they were 18 months and not that they can't develop at any time but I would think you will be safe :)

I agree that kids just don't know they should be sea sick so it doesn't happen as often. I'm convinced in my case, it's all psychological.

I'm the type that gets sick on the planes too.

My first cruise, I kept saying that i'm paying so much money, there's no way I would get sick and I didn't.

My 2nd cruise, i got the patch behind the ear and it was very rocky, no problem. Then after dinner, my buddy said "Hey where's your patch?" It had fallen off in the shower and I didn't realize it. I immediately got sick that night.

Since then, I ask the doctor for a prescription of meclizine, which works for me. It's the exact same dosage you find in dramamine or bonine but those DON'T work for me.

I don't understand, but I also don't question, as long as it keeps me from getting sick.

I have a question for those with knowledge. I have only been on one other cruise and I didn't have an upset stomach but I felt like my equilibrium was off and just felt a little odd the whole trip, would taking something for seasickness have helped? We will be on the Vision at the end of January so any info you can give me would be great.

I have a question for those with knowledge. I have only been on one other cruise and I didn't have an upset stomach but I felt like my equilibrium was off and just felt a little odd the whole trip, would taking something for seasickness have helped? We will be on the Vision at the end of January so any info you can give me would be great.

Yes, it is that feeling that causes people to get sick.

Some get sick without even "feeling" it because their brain recognizes it. I usually come closer to getting sick after the cruise is over, when I'm trying to "get my land legs back". I feel like I'm rocking for quite a while, depending on the length of the cruise, and how the seas were. But I've had it last up to a week before.

I never had a problem with feeling sea sick. The first night of our cruise the ship was really rocking while we were at sea. It was pretty bad a dinner and I really did not feel like eating so we took a couple bites and departed. The waiter said the boat was rocking the worst that he had ever felt it. You could really feel it while walking down the small hallways to our room also while seating in the dinning room. Once we went to bed all was good. The rest of the trip was fine. My family was fine the entire trip including my 2 year old daughter.

Yes, it is that feeling that causes people to get sick.

Some get sick without even "feeling" it because their brain recognizes it. I usually come closer to getting sick after the cruise is over, when I'm trying to "get my land legs back". I feel like I'm rocking for quite a while, depending on the length of the cruise, and how the seas were. But I've had it last up to a week before.

I had the same problem after our cruise, is there anything that will help that feeling? And by your answer I assume taking a motion sickness medicine should help me with that feeling? Any ideas on what works best?

Hi

I agree with the other posters that you should check with your pediatrician.

However, last time I was in ShopRite looking at the motion sickness medicines to pack one for our next cruise, I saw they had Children's either Bonine or Dramamine. I don't have children so didn't pay that much attention but remember seeing a cuter box and it said for children. So this may be an option as well.

Enjoy your cruise.

Noreen

It probably would have but be aware that you may need to keep it up for a few days after you get back to avoid land sickness.

Archived