Help!!!!...visa question

luvabeach

We are leaving in 2 weeks on the Coral. We are South African passport holders residing in SOuthern California with green cards. I just realized we don not have visa's for the countries we are visiting on this cruise. Researching the web, I believe under a certain amount of time in each port we will be ok without a visa. The only place that concerns me is Panama. Princess is most unhelpful and quite rude about this and refuses to even discuss it....says I have to wait to call the Panamanian consulate on Monday. My husband and I are quite happy to stay on board and not do an excursion .....does anyone know the rules as a non-US citizen (who does have a green card though).??? Princess also started quoting their non refund policy...totally obnoxious, as I will pay and go to extreme lengths (Other than fly across country) to get a visa. Cannot believe we are the first non-US citizens travelling on this cruise who need a visa and have not gotten one. ANy advice to help me last till I can call other authorities on Monday??

Our recent experience....we boarded the Royal in Rome and there were a few people who did not get their Visas for Brazil....they apparently were charged $1000US each by the ship because the Brazilian authorities fined the ship $1000US per person.

Call the Panamanian Consulate closest to you or the Embassy in DC....Princess does not, nor should they, know all the consular rules for different countries

VISA requirements are based on the country that issued your passport, not where you live. Based on what I've read you will need a VISA to enter Panama because your Passport was issued for South Africa. However, if you are just transiting the Canal you may not need one but only the Panamanian Embassy can make that determination.

I'm not surprised that the Princess rep didn't know the answer since they are not visa nor international citizenship experts. There are so many variables that it would be impossible for them to be able to give you accurate information now would I expect them to. I'm surprised you even called them for visa advice (particularly since you are non-U.S. citizens residing in the U.S. on a green card). :( In any case, it's your responsibility to find out what visas you need and where to get them. Every single trip I've been on has had that note at the bottom of the booking summary. The Princess rep was correct in that you should be aware of the cancellation fees in case you have to cancel your cruise because you don't have the correct visa(s).

You should check with the South African authorities or with the Panamanian consulate. The former because that's your citizenship and the latter because that's where you're cruising.

And, unfortunately, you can be denied boarding if you do not have the visa, even if you say that you will not get off the ship at any Panamanian port stop that you might make. When we boarded passengers for Alaska, if they required and did not have the Canadian transit visa (even if they swore they would not leave the ship in the Canadian port), they were denied boarding and were sent home without refund.

You need to check with the Panamanian consultate or embassy ASAP, because visas often take a bit to obtain.

Thanks....will start to deal with it Monday morning...although at this stage, would be so happy to cancel the cruise (if we could get money back thru insurance) and just go on vacation to Hawaii!

Unfortunately, failure to obtain a required visa is not generally covered under trip insurance policies, unless you have a cancel for any reason provision. It's considered to be under your control, and if you fail to do it, then it's not their problem.

Following does not say if required for canal transit

Panama Visa Information

Who requires a visa?

Required by all except the following for stays of up to 90 days (at the discretion of the Immigration authorities):

Argentina, Slovenia, Latvia, Republic of Korea, Andorra, Estonia, Letonia, San Marino, Austria, Finland, Lichtenstein, South Korea, Belgium, France, Lithuania, Singapore, Bolivia, Germany, Luxembourg, Spain, Brazil, Greece, Malta, Sweden, Chile, Great Britain, Monaco, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Netherlands, The Uruguay, Colombia, Honduras, Nicaragua, Vatican City, Cyprus, Hungary, Norway, Czech Republic, Iceland, Paraguay, Denmark, Israel, Poland, El Salvador, Ireland, Portugal, Slovakia, Italy

Tourist cards: Antigua & Barbuda, Curacao, Jamaica, Trinidad and Tobago, Aruba, Japan, Australia, Canada, Mexico, Taiwan, Bahamas, Dominica, New Zealand, Thailand, Barbados, Grenada San Cristobal & Nevis, United States of America, Belize, Guyana, Saint Vincent & Grenadines, Bermuda, Saint Lucia, Venezuela

What documents will be required?

PASSPORTS: Passport valid for a minimum of 6 months required by all.

Application to: Consulate (or Consular section at Embassy); see Contact Addresses section. A Tourist Card can be issued either by the travel agent or on the flight or at the airport.

Application requirements: (a) Passport valid for at least 6 months. (b) Two completed application forms. © Two passport-size photos. (d) Booking reservation. For countries requiring special authorisation: (a) and, (b) Two completed application forms. © Two passport-size photos. (d) Copies of passport. (e) Copy of return or onward ticket. (f) Letter from the person in Panama taking responsibility for applicant. (g) Proof of financial stability in cash, traveller’s cheques or bank statements. (h) fee plus postage if necessary.

Time required to issue visa:

Normally 24 hours if no authorisation is needed; 20 days if authorisation (which depends on nationality) is needed.

What is the cost of a visa?

Tourist: £30. Tourist Card: Prices vary, depending on nationality and also on where the Tourist Card is obtained from (eg, prior to departure, on the flight or on arrival at the airport). Some nationals can obtain the Tourist Card free of charge (including nationals of Colombia, Mexico, Norway, Sweden and USA). Enquire at the Consulate for details.

How long is the visa valid for?

Visas and Tourist Cards are valid within a 3-month period from the date of issue and allow stays for up to 30 days (extendable to 90 days at discretion of Immigration authorities).

Other information:

Note: (a) No brief account of the complex Panamanian visa regulations is likely to be fully successful as passport and visa regulations are liable to change at short notice. (b) Panamanian immigration procedures are rigidly enforced and non-compliance with the regulations may result in transportation at carrier’s expense to country of origin. © Many nationals requiring visas also require authorisation from the Immigration authorities in Panama before entry; contact the Embassy (or Consular section at Embassy) if in doubt.

Embassy contact information:

Please contact the nearest Panama embassy for information on what documentation you may require to enter Panama.

Also see http://www.panaconsul.com/pages/visas.htm which can also be confusing

And http://www.worldtravelguide.net/country/220/passport_visa/Central-America/Panama.html

Archived