Coast Guard airlifts man from the Grandeur

burnsie

I found this by accident on our local news web-site.

http://baynews9.com/content/36/2007/12/28/313140.html?title=Coast+Guard+rescues+man+from+cruise+ship

The said the guy was 6'8" and 350lbs and they had trouble getting him in the basket to take up.

Another case of appendicitis, your going to have to get a sonogram and complete physical when you embark soon!

Seriously, I hope the man is ok and my prayers are with his family.

Learned about this from another CC couple on the ship who knew folks who heard/saw it happen on the way into port. Wow.

Also hear Jimmy Carter is/may be aboard as part of a large GA group...supposedly he is speaking at it. I have not spotted him so can not confirm if it is true or not.

We are fogged into the Port of Tampa so are still tied securely to the dock...have yet to move an inch since our 5pm departure time which was now 5 hours ago. :eek:

Jimmy Carter won't be hard to spot. Just look for the guy in the dark suit, wearing dark glasses, and an earpiece with a wire going down his back. Also, he'll be the only guy that's not smiling on the ship.

My husband just said the exact thing, but he wanted to know if they still wear the dark glasses at night???:p:D

It's cruising and current events Jeka! :eek: If you don't like it you can move on and read a different thread. The rest of us who are commenting, think air/sea rescues are interesting, admirable and photoworthy. If it's not for you, then there are plenty of other things to read and post on , on Cruise Critic.:)

Been there and unfortunately saw it!!!!! My hurt broke for the family involved. Can't believe this very private, horrible experience needed to be a topic on CC. The news reported the facts. End of story.

Their is alot to be said regarding reporting, and then talking over the report amoung fellow cruise enthusiasts. I for one am sailing in 3 weeks & it encourages me to hear that medical assistance is available. By hearing about it I can have facts on how the process is completed. Also for those that believe in the power of prayer, as I do, I can pray for this gentleman's medical emergency & for his family. It also lends positive p.r. for the cruise lines & the emergency medical team for their fantastic aid.

Finally, no one is forceing you to read this particular thread, so if you don't like it then kindly go to another thread that is more pleasant for you.

Just stating what I saw, so please be kind. My wife and I just returned yesterday from Grandeur of the Seas. Captain Rob (Great guy, by the way), made an announcement around 9am on Friday morning that there was to be an evac. of a sick passenger in the next hour and that Decks 9 and 10 were off limits. The crew started to remove all the chairs off the deck. They then closed all the portside deck access, as Captain Rob called for the fire crews to assemble there. The Coast Guard arrived a little more than an hour later (a HC-130 Hercules (airplane) did a couple flybys and a HH-60 JAYHAWK helicopter did the pick up) and took 3 people onboard the helicopter (the sick man, who managed to walk to the basket, and two family members, I think). The pilot did a WONDERFUL job, as it was a bit windy and he had to maintain the same speed of the ship (Coast Guard do not get enough thanks for putting their lives on the line, in my opinion). It was pretty interesting to see a rescue at sea and everyone was very happy that the passenger is going to be ok. The way Capt. Rob and the crew handled everthing could not have been more professional!

plane.jpg.b46ab8bb286e422ed8e29f1212021aad.jpg

1199068142_copter.jpg.5c068556806a4a52d5e2307a9bcab111.jpg

OMG!:eek: Its not everyday you see a helicopter over a cruise ship medacating someone! I find it kind of interesting!

If you had been on our sailing on the NV in Sept on the Med..you would have seen 4 Medi Vacs :eek: Including one poor sick passenger who was taken off in a cage as the weather was too bad for helicopter to get onto the ship safely.

Cusyl, you bring up a great point. A crew member (officer) told us that it cost around $50,000 for the evac, so I will consider insurance now even more that I did before.

USCG does not bill. However it is wise to ensure you have medical coverage for wherever you may need urgent/emergency care.

No word on how pax is doing, given he arrived at the hospital alive I am confident he is recovering now, and am glad that we have a USCG who can rescue as needed.

At muster yesterday one lady was complaining about having to do so...I made a comment to DW loud enough for lady to hear that I bet those on MV EXplorer that sank a few weeks back sure were glad they went to Muster... The lady didn't complain any more...

So far the kids aboard seem to be well bahaved. All in all it is a great cruise so far...

Captain Rob definitely keeps the humor going especially given he probably had little sleep last night due to the extra late departure.

As for Former President Carter being aboard, we did just see him a few minutes ago getting back aboard the ship after his tour around Key West. He is keeping a low profile.

Just stating what I saw, so please be kind. My wife and I just returned yesterday from Grandeur of the Seas. Captain Rob (Great guy, by the way), made an announcement around 9am on Friday morning that there was to be an evac. of a sick passenger in the next hour and that Decks 9 and 10 were off limits. The crew started to remove all the chairs off the deck. They then closed all the portside deck access, as Captain Rob called for the fire crews to assemble there. The Coast Guard arrived a little more than an hour later (a HC-130 Hercules (airplane) did a couple flybys and a HH-60 JAYHAWK helicopter did the pick up) and took 3 people onboard the helicopter (the sick man, who managed to walk to the basket, and two family members, I think). The pilot did a WONDERFUL job, as it was a bit windy and he had to maintain the same speed of the ship (Coast Guard do not get enough thanks for putting their lives on the line, in my opinion). It was pretty interesting to see a rescue at sea and everyone was very happy that the passenger is going to be ok. The way Capt. Rob and the crew handled everthing could not have been more professional!

Thanks so much for posting the photos. :) The Coasties do indeed do a fabulous job. It is always exciting to watch. :)

We'll take photos of you too Jeka!:D Should you ever be in that anonymous position. Please make sure to wave from the helicopter! We will wish you well also. :D

I have young friends of my sons in the Coast Guard doing this sort of work so yes I do find it very amazing and I'm proud that they are in the Coast Guard.

I am not a gwaker or ambulance chaser have seen my fair share working in the hospital and find no facination with it. What did occur to me is the need for insurance and how many of us cruise totally oblivious that something like this can happen (me included).

I don't think my posting a news story offended or hurt the family but what did help from the story being posted is all the prayers that those who read the post said for the man. Mine included.

Happy New Year!

I have young friends of my sons in the Coast Guard doing this sort of work so yes I do find it very amazing and I'm proud that they are in the Coast Guard.

I am not a gwaker or ambulance chaser have seen my fair share working in the hospital and find no facination with it. What did occur to me is the need for insurance and how many of us cruise totally oblivious that something like this can happen (me included).

I don't think my posting a news story offended or hurt the family but what did help from the story being posted is all the prayers that those who read the post said for the man. Mine included.

Happy New Year!

The man's name was not mentioned. I would be very grateful if my family member was taken off a ship. My son applied to the CG academy and made it as an alternate. The cadets have to have all their wisdom teeth pulled since their was an incident where a cadet was trapped in the Gulf of Mexico and was very ill.

I work in a hospital, when a helicopter, everyone looks it is quite a sight even on a roof top, and I assure you nobody really cares who the patient is, just that someone is getting help.

Ghoulish, let the poor family have some privacy, good grief.

Privacy? It's not like anyone here is involving the family. Nobody here is contacting them, naming them, etc. It's a simple discussion about a very public event. This is obviously hitting a sore spot with you for some reason. I hope you didn't have a bad experience that created this point of view for you. If so, my condolences

Archived