Past guest dinner

rob6465

Our next cruise will be our 2nd cruise and our PVP was smart enough to book me(past guest) in cabin wth son and wife(past guest) in cabin with daughter in-law to get an upgrade/discount. When we get invited to past guest dinner, can we bring guest ? Or is it just my wife and I ?

There isn't a past guest dinner, it is a past guest cocktail party. You will receive invitations in your cabin mailbox telling you when and where the party will be held. Normally the invitations are strictly for the past guests but you can ask at the purser's desk if it would be ok to bring your son and daughter-in-law.

We have always received invitations for just the two of us and the staff collects them at the door.

I do not believe that first time cruisers should be at the past guest party as they have not met the requirements to be a past guest.

Just MHO.

I am a single (a.k.a. unmarried) person. When I cruise with a "guest" I always take them with me to the past guest events. Figure that is much more polite than saying "Honey, you sit here in the cabin while I go mingle with the Captain." Maybe I am totally wrong...but I don't think that is a violation.

The past guest party is a party by invitation only. I don't think it is proper to simply crash the party. That was why I suggested asking at the purser's desk. If Carnival wants to extend an invitation to anyone that is their right. I have absolutely no problem with them doing so, especially if spce is available for these types of situations. But if I was told that insufficient room precluded bringing a first timer, out of courtesy to my fellow past guests I would just skip the party.

I guess it's like my Xmas "employee" party. I always bring a guest. I'll ask carnival first and if they say ok, then it's ok. It's like giving your invitation to someone else. I doubt they check your ID/SAIL CARD. Do they ?

They will not stop if you aren't with a 'past guest'. It isn't that big of a deal. It is a couple free inexpensive cocktails and seating! It is not like they are giving a free cruise away or something. They really don't mind if you bring a guest.

They will not stop if you aren't with a 'past guest'. It isn't that big of a deal. It is a couple free inexpensive cocktails and seating! It is not like they are giving a free cruise away or something. They really don't mind if you bring a guest.

Raider - I disagree.

The parties have become so overly crowded because a past guest wrangled an invitation to bring a guest. It is unfair to true past guests. We don't even enjoy OUR parties as much anymore due to space being taken by those who have not EARNED the privilege of attend the "Past Guest" party!

Rob - It would be nice if you ask your son & his wife to find something else to entertain themselves for that short 45 minutes of party time. They can attend the party on their next cruise, when they truly deserve it. Enjoy your cruise.:)

When we were on the Pride in Nov, the 4 of us each received our own invitation. Even my 4yr old granddaughter and my 6 yr old grandson. They were collecting them at the door and if you didn't have it you were asked to go get it. So it did seem you weren't allowed in without your own.

I must say that we probably will skip the next party. You couldn't order what you wanted to drink. Waiters came around with trays and you had to take what they had. IMHO, the appetizers were inedible:( . I don't know who the guy and girl were up on the stage singing, but I hope they keep their day jobs:D !!

Cheryl

Just Past Guests are invited. They collect the invites at the door.

It's not really fair to invite someone who is not a past guest. It's a private party to thank past cruisers for cruising again... not a big come-one, come-all party for folks wanting free drinks. That's what the Captain's party is for.

Best of luck. :)

I believe on most sailings I was asked to hand over my invitation or show my S&S card.

I personally think bringing a spouse/significant other is not that big of a deal. I wouldn't want him to fend for himself while I attended the party. (Had my DH been sober/awake at the last PGP, I would have brought him, but I had to leave him to sleep it off last time!:D )

however, if it's more than one person, I would suggest they go find something else to do while I went to the party.

[quote=Ship Addict;12823461I personally think bringing a spouse/significant other is not that big of a deal. I wouldn't want him to fend for himself while I attended the party.

It's really a selfish deal... not that selfish in this instnace is bad at all. But if anyone feels strongly about leaving someone behind while they attend a Party their freind(s) are not invited to, then the bigger person would step down and not attend the party and instead spend time with the friend(s) they fell stongly about.

Absolutely, the friends should be a big adult about spending an hour by themselves during the one hour Past Guest Party.

If a person is not a past guest, they should not be trying to attend this party... it's not fair to Past Guests... and it's not fair to Carnival.

Our past guest party in 06 on Glory was crowded. I wonder about past guests who feel the need to entertain their friends/family for the hour or so that the past guest cocktail party is going on. It's not an all day event. It's for PAST GUESTS and it's only about an hour. I would never assume that I was to attend if I wasn't a past guest. If you feel that bad about it, buy your non past guests family/friends a drink or two at the bar while you're mingling with past guests and the crew. Part of the past guest party is usually a slide show of Carnival ships that the guests have cruised on. We met a wonderful couple who had been on more than 25 cruises. Other than "free" drinks and snacks, there's really nothing for new cruisers.

I also figure if someone has to ask the question... they already know the answer... but are looking for that one person that gives them permission to break the rules just so they can say... or at least think to themselves, that it's perfectly OK to have their friends/family crash a party they are not invited to.

It is not actually a party, nor a dinner. You get a small plate of hordorves, and a drink or 2 or 3, and they make a small speech to you. that is it. We dressed, went, and I had 2 drinks and the little plate of food, and left.

It is not Formal, most came in shorts, but some dressed for dinner before they came.

It shouldn't be that big of a deal for your son and daughter in law to do their own thing for an hour (TOPS!) When my boyfriend wasn't a past guest, he got ready for dinner while I went and then he got his turn to attend last cruise :) You can all go to the Captain's cocktail party earlier in the week together :)

wow, all I can say is wow. This thread sank quickly didn't it? All this name calling over the "past guest party"? Some not so good drinks, no so great appetizers and non-exsistant etertainment.

Although, I do agree an invitation is not a ticket. The invitation has your name on it, you are the person invitied. You may be a paying passenger but so are all the first time cruisers. You did not pay EXTRA to go to this party. Carnival has the right to invite whoever they want to their PRIVATE party. If Carnival threw a party for military guests would it be alright to dress up in your friend's uniform and go to that?

Believe me, the party sure ain't that grand..

I think after reading all the replies, i'll just attend the party with my wife and tell my son/girlfriend to do something else on ship. I do not want to be taken into custody and asked why I brought someone who should not be there. I have a clean record and do not need to walk the plank or be turned in to jamaican authorities. Thank You everyone !

Archived