Bringing Alcohol - Auckland

I was wondering if there will be a problem with our checked luggage having alcohol in it when we enter New Zealand? In other words, can I bring booze into the country?

You can also buy duty free on arrival. NZ Customs regulations are here

Maurice

I was wondering if there will be a problem with our checked luggage having alcohol in it when we enter New Zealand? In other words, can I bring booze into the country?
Yes, you can. But check the duty-free limits (see the link given by kenexx), and make sure you declare anything that's above the (generous) limits.

Perfect and apparently no putting booze in the baby's suitcase (just kidding!). Just what I needed to know AND I totally forgot about cigarettes since I don't smoke but my mother and aunt/uncle will definitely need to know that. There'll be 14 adults so that should cover enough for all of the drinking and then some.

But remeber if you are cruising you may not be able to take it on board with you.

It would be hella of a party before you leave....can send you my email details if you need help:p :D :D

And while I greatly appreciate the sacrafice you're willing to make.... ok fine - i'll call you if we need to drink it all :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Ok ... I'm back. Here's my problem. Try as I might, with my limited math skills, I just can't figure this out. Our bigger bottles don't come in that size of ml, they are 1.75 litre or 750 ml. My normal water bottle size is 1 litre. My DH TRIED to explain it to me, but my eyes started glossing over and all I heard was blah blah blah blah blah. At first he thought I was joking, but nope I'm stumped. When DH did a search on the internet for containers the size of 1125 ml only New Zealand web sites came up. Apparently that's a size unique to there. I was thinking of just buying that size and filling them.

The above link is for returning residents... not visitors. Visitors are only allowed one bottle of spirits or liqueur (up to 1,125ml/about 2 1/2 pints) http://www.sidestep.com/travel-info-g10153-t28020-entry_requirements_customs_new_zealand

As you can see, this has become quite the challenge for me. I usually bring the booze for my group and share (for those of you thinking I'm totally wasted the whole time) and leave behind whatever isn't drunk so for the 14 adults in our group I wanted to bring a nice selection. I can put bottles in other's suitcases but I just can't figure out how to maximize the size.

Suggestions? Or should I just pack the 1.75 litre bottle and hope they let it slide?

Try as I might, with my limited math skills, I just can't figure this out. Our bigger bottles don't come in that size of ml, they are 1.75 litre or 750 ml. My normal water bottle size is 1 litre. My DH TRIED to explain it to me, but my eyes started glossing over and all I heard was blah blah blah blah blah. At first he thought I was joking, but nope I'm stumped. When DH did a search on the internet for containers the size of 1125 ml only New Zealand web sites came up. Apparently that's a size unique to there. I was thinking of just buying that size and filling them.

Suggestions? Or should I just pack the 1.75 litre bottle and hope they let it slide?

I have a suspicion that 1125 ml was intended to cover one 750 ml bottle, plus one 375 ml half-bottle = total of 1125 ml. I'm not sure why, seeing as spirits seem to tend to come in 700 ml bottles rather than 750 ml bottles, but there we are!

But why don't you just bring 1 litre bottles if that's what you can get (and that's a very standard size)? You're not giving up much of your technical 1125 ml allowance. The difference between 1 litre and 1125 ml is the volume of a very small glass of wine (that's just for comparison - the 1125 ml allowance is for spirits and there's actually a much more generous NZ allowance for wine).

I have a suspicion that 1125 ml was intended to cover one 750 ml bottle, plus one 375 ml half-bottle = total of 1125 ml. I'm not sure why, seeing as spirits seem to tend to come in 700 ml bottles rather than 750 ml bottles, but there we are!

But why don't you just bring 1 litre bottles if that's what you can get (and that's a very standard size)? You're not giving up much of your technical 1125 ml allowance. The difference between 1 litre and 1125 ml is the volume of a very small glass of wine (that's just for comparison - the 1125 ml allowance is for spirits and there's actually a much more generous NZ allowance for wine).

That's kind of what I decided last night. One bottle each though means spreading it out amongst the bunch. The sacrifices we have to make. :p I thought about just buying it all on board, but yikes! on the prices - $17 for 375 ml. Just wanted to get some re-assurance I guess. :rolleyes:

[quote name='notentirelynormal;

The above link is for returning residents... not visitors. Visitors are only allowed one bottle of spirits or liqueur (up to 1' date='125ml/about 2 1/2 pints) [/b']http://www.sidestep.com/travel-info-g10153-t28020-entry_requirements_customs_new_zealand

The allowance for returning residents is for residents returning to the US.

Look at this link:

http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/Arriving+in+New+Zealand/Allowances/Alcohol+and+Tobacco.htm

You wil see that the allowance for bringing alcohol and tobacco into NZ is the same for all!

Alcohol and Tobacco

Travellers must be 17 years or older to be eligible for alcohol and tobacco allowances.

A traveller may import the following quantities of tobacco products and alcoholic beverages free of Customs charges, providing that:

(i) The goods accompany them through the Customs arrival process; and

(ii) The goods are not being carried on behalf of any other person or persons; and

(iii) The goods are not intended for sale or exchange.

Cigarettes, Cigars, Tobacco

Alcoholic Beverages

Cigarettes, Cigars, Tobacco

• 200 cigarettes, or
  • 250 grams of tobacco, or
  • 50 cigars, or
  • a mixture of all three weighing not more than 250 grams.

Alcoholic Beverages

• 4.5 litres of wine or 4.5 litres of beer
  • three bottles (or other containers) each containing not more than 1125ml of spirits, liqueur, or other spirituous beverages.

Quantities imported in excess of the allowances, or that are housed in containers greater than the maximum stipulated bottle size, are liable for Customs charges.

[url=http://www.customs.govt.nz/travellers/Arriving+in+New+Zealand/Allowances/Alcohol+and+Tobacco.htm#top][/url]

The allowances are quite generous.

I would feel safer buying duty-free at your point of departure or on arrival in NZ, and keeping it with you, rather than packing bottles in your check-in and trusting their safety to the sometimes-rough baggage handling.

From our experience when arriving in NZ, it is a very rare event if your duty-free bags are even examined. Everything is X-rayed, including hand baggage and duty-free. You are more likely to run into trouble if you bring in an apple!

Just to confirm, it is normally not necessary to buy duty free stuff at the departure point for New Zealand and Australia? You can purchase duty free items after your arrival? Obviously it must be before you clear customs.

I have never noticed and I always thought that you needed to buy the items are the departure point or on the plane. Does anyone know if this is true for flights entering the U.S.? I do not recall being able to buy duty free items after I have landed.

Thanks.

P.S. For the OP, I would hope that three one litre bottles per person will be enough.

LOL.... if it were just for me, it would. But I bring enough us, as well as for my DD and SIL, my DS and DIL, my mother, and any guests stopping by our cabin, which would be my brothers, SIL and friends. While I don't plan on bringing hordes, I was planning on 1 (1.75 litre) bottle of vodka, 2 rums, some kaluha for morning coffee, and brandy for night time sipping.

Just to confirm, it is normally not necessary to buy duty free stuff at the departure point for New Zealand and Australia? You can purchase duty free items after your arrival? Obviously it must be before you clear customs.

I have never noticed and I always thought that you needed to buy the items are the departure point or on the plane. Does anyone know if this is true for flights entering the U.S.? I do not recall being able to buy duty free items after I have landed.

Thanks.

P.S. For the OP, I would hope that three one litre bottles per person will be enough.

You can purchase duty-free on arrival in NZ, before you go through immigration and customs. In Auckland the duty free shops are upstairs (on the same level as you get off the plane) and you buy your duty-free before going downstairs (escalators) to immigration, baggage retrieval, and Customs.

I can't speak for the whole of Australia, but can say that duty-free is available on arrival in Sydney.

As far as the size, we usually get the box wines. It weighs less and carry more! Also, never had a problem bringing them on the ship (box or bottle) ever. You should be fine. We also seal them in the vacumn pack plastic bags in case of breakage, but in all our cruises so far, nothing broke.

Don't know where you got your info about the spirits(hard liquor) you can take into NZ.

Just came back last Feb and picked up our duty free in Nandi enroute. You are allowed to take in up to three three 1litre/40oz bottles of liquor.

No...don't try and smuggle them in your luggage. Be honest, declare it and explain that you're dep on a cruise and they are for consumption onboard.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived