Earliest flight you would book home from London?

We haven't made air reservations for our June Baltic cruise yet. According to our itinerary we should arrive back in Dover at 5 am. What is the earliest flight you would consider? I've seen some at noon but think that might be too early with allowing for clearing customs, transportation from Dover to London, check-in and security, etc.

Well, by the time you have cleared the ship and dealt with baggage, even if your line offers a "self help" disembarkation, then it will be at least 7.00 am. Probably later. You'll have to get to Dover Station for a train, and then into and then out of London. You'd have at least three hours for this, possibly more.

You need at least two hours to check into an international flight. So that suggests 2 pm at the earliest.

You may be quicker if there is a car service you intend to take, or a coach service, but you'll be using the M25 in some way which can be a real pain in the morning - especially weekdays.

If it were me (and it isn't) then I'd be tempted to book a flight at about 4.00 or later.

Or even fly home the next day.

Dover is a very out of the way place.....

Matthew

Dover is about 100 miles from Heathrow and about 80 miles from London Gatwick Airports.

I would plan on an afternoon flight. If you were off the ship by 7:00 AM you will hit rush hour on the way to either airport. And, at a minimum, you want to get to the London airports at least 2 hours in advance. Personally, I like to get there about 3 hours early.

If it was me I would plan a flight that leaves around 2:00 PM or later.

Keith

What is the earliest flight you would consider?
Three questions: Where are you flying to? What does your cruise line say? And how vital is it that you try to fly home the same day?

If you want to get to the airport by public transport, then Gatwick may be a little more convenient than Heathrow - you can get a taxi to Dover Priory station, a train to Victoria, and then change to the Gatwick Express to Gatwick.

Heathrow from Victoria involves a change of Tubes. Or you could take the train from Dover to Charing Cross, get the Bakerloo Line Tube to Paddington and then the Heathrow Express to Heathrow.

What is the earliest flight you would consider?

What is more important to you ?

a) knowing that you got on the plane 3 hours earlier than you might otherwise have done

b) not spending the whole of the holiday having a niggling worry that you might miss your flight because of a traffic jam going into Heathrow

If it does not matter that you might miss the flight and can rebook on another, go for about 2 pm - if not give yourself lots more time - you are still on vacation after all.

If you're taking the cruise line transfer from Dover, you can call your cruise line and they will advise you. We're taking Carnival to the Baltic in July and using their transfer back to the airport. They say only after 1PM if flying from Heathrow or 12 PM if flying out of Gatwick. Who knows if you are arranging your own transportation. Hope that helps.

Archived