Line cutting; worse than chair hogging?

srphnx

I guess I'm kind of jaded but line cutting, chair hogging, etc. doesn't bother me much on a cruise. I'm there for a reason, relaxation and recuperation, so most of these normal aggravations tend to be ignored. I figure I don't have time to get stressed since I'm on vacation and these normally tense situations have no merit while I'm relaxed. :cool:

Good post Steve!:)

A few reasons:

(1) They cut off the food. After training so hard for a week, going 2 hours without food can be very stressful. (Actually it can be quite a bit longer than 2 hours if you're in one of the last groups, then have to wait in line for a parking shuttle, etc.)

Mike

HAAAAAAAAA! AHMAHGAWD I think I just pulled something laughing so hard.

Thanks Mike! That was HYSTERICAL!

Steve,

Good for you! I'd do the same thing. It's one thing if it's family but people you barely know? Not!

I have a Starbucks right around the corner from me and the people driving in and out are the rudest I've ever seen. It's a two-way street, one lane each way with a light at the end of the street. When exiting, rather than waiting for the road to clear enough to exit, cars push their way into one lane and then just stop because they want to turn left, not right, blocking everyone trying to get through the light. Sometimes, they hold up traffic for more than a light cycle. They can't be bothered to go out the other exit where they could turn more easily. Very annoying.

What are your feeling on the people who have the tender tickets. They have cruised enough times to earn them. Should they not be allowed to use them? I don't mean that they should push people aside going down the stairs to deck 4. But should they be allowed to enter the line at the most forward spot where it is safe?

Should Gold members be given an upgrade before first time cruisers?

Should the three most traveled passengers get special treatment?

Should the top two passenger groups get a special area the last morning?

I too hate people that cut it line both walking and with their cars because they think can or they think that they are somehow better that the rest of us. But before we wish them to Hell, maybe there is a good reason. Maybe some day we will get that right/privledge.icon7.gif

This isn't about people with sanctioned reasons to go ahead such as priority tender passes. Those things are within a set system. This is about those who casually insert themselves without regard to the impact their thoughtlessness has on others.

Earning a perk is very different from just bluffing your way past social decency.

My biggest beef with line cutter is. I travel with my sister who is partially paralized and considered mildly mentally retarded. But you can not tell by looking at her or by her behavior. For safety and to make it faster for me since she walks so slow. Would take a hr to walk what takes most of us 20 min. I put her in a wheel chair and on our way we go.

When we cruised in March we were standing in line to view the Midnight Buffet on Carnival Legend. We were patiently waiting. Then people came and cut right in front of us. They were not with anyone in front us us. Just wedged there way in. Ever try pushing a wheelchair up a ramp and then stop on ramp and not have it roll back down into yourself and then attempt to get it going again and stop on a dime. Not easy. Espically when you are attmepting to leave enough space not to ram the heels of person in front of you. Well this rude group of people kept growing with all their friends. I hit the back of heels a few times. But what do they expect. They cut in front of us. Were not willing to give me the space to safely maneuver a wheel chair arouund. They just looked at me like I was the rude person. Even after bumping the heels they did not give us space. The people behind us kept a distance so I could get a running start up the ramp. The ramp was not that long but when you have hundreds of people attmepting go thru 2 doors it is crowded. So I have a dislike for line cutters and rude people. I sure would have hated to have seen my sister attempt to walk into see buffet she would have been knocked off balance and too floor by these people and they would have looked at her like a morron and kept on going and not offered to help. That has also happened in past. That is why I opt for wheelchair safer.

That is my 2cents

Debbie

another 2 cents from me

Even though it is easier for my sister to be in a wheelchair. There are times when I feel we should wait in line just like eveyone else. I feel embarressed when they take us ahead of the people who have been standing and waiting for 20 minutes plus. We walk up and they take us past the line of people. I have seen people have one member of the party sit in a wheelchair so they do not have to stand in line and wait their turn. That gives those who need a chair a bad rap.

When people cut in front of me -- and for some reason, they usually seem to cut between me and DH -- is to shout loudly "Honey, I am no longer right behind you."

This happened once again yesterday, when we were waiting in a long security line at the Philadelphia airport. When we were about three people away from the security agent, a woman cut into the line right ahead of me and my young son, separating us from my husband. In addition to my usual quote, I addressed her directly: "Excuse me, but I need to stand with my husband as I have his ID. The end of the line is that way."

She didn't completely listen -- she just entered the line a few people back, muttering "well, I've never done this airport thing before." Yeah, right.

BUT, why would you stand in line to get off the ship????????
My thoughts exactly. I deal with disembarkation line cutters by not getting in line. Lately I have had independent travel arrangements upon leaving the ship. I just ask for the latest call, and even if they don’t give it to me, I leave at the latest call. You can’t imagine how easy it is to find your luggage when everyone else has taken theirs and left.

As for other lines…well…that’s another story. You know how I am with manners.

Line cutting upsets me more because the individual has shown a lack of respect for those who follow the rules and wait our turn. I think the cutting in when in a car upsets me more because, you do not get the satisfaction of saying anything. The bright side of this one is when the police catch on and set up at the end of the offending lane and are pulling people over as they try to cut back in to the traffic lane. I always have a big smile, as I pass buy.

What do you folks think about this...

Let's say you're on a line for a buffet. The scenario is that everything is all lined up, not at different stations or islands.

First you get your tray and utensils and then there's salad stuff, then entree selections and then side dishes. If someone gets their tray and doesn't want to get salad, do you think it's okay to "jump ahead of" or "cut" the people who are lined up to get salad and then go straight for the entrees? (positioning oneself behind the people who are getting entrees or lined up to get them after having gotten salad)

Interested in hearing what you think of this type of situation....

bdjam - I agree 100% with the Last Off philosophy. It's like yours are the only bags left! And the car jam outside has mostly cleared up by then. I've only had one person take a bag of mine, and they were in OC so it was easy for them to bring in back to San Pedro.

I love the OP's "personal policy", and it is one that I think is reasonable and fair.

People in the same cabin unit and/or family unit should be allowed to cut in, under reasonable circumstances. For definition purposes: a family of five may be in two different cabins, but they are still the same family unit; same for Granny and Gramps traveling w/ a mom/dad/kids family .... it may be six people from two different cabins, but I would consider them all one "family unit" as they are traveling together and related by blood/law; unmarried persons sharing a cabin (such as when my secretary went on a cruise w/ her sister and a friend, all in the same cabin) would be a "unit" even though not technically "related".

Often when traveling w/ various ages/abilities, it simply isn't reasonable to expect all members of the unit to be able to all be in the line at the same time. I happen to have a preschool-aged child with a sometimes small / sometimes large bladder capacity. After waiting in a line (for *whatever*) for an hour and being *almost* to the front of the line, should my husband and I both have to lose our place just b/c our kid has to tinkle? What about the family whose baby lets loose w/ one of those explosive poops :eek: that you can smell from a couple hundred yards away? (I should think that anyone would be MORE than happy to let a parent leave the line to remedy the situation and then return! :p )

Similarly, if I were in a line w/ my MIL and her husband (who has had one hip and two knees replaced already and needs to have the other hip done now as well), it's not really *hurting* anyone if my MIL and her husband sit in a chair a little distance away until we are closer to the front of the line and then join us, since the people behind us wouldn't be any better/worse off if the elders had been standing with us in line the whole time, rather than sitting a ways off and then rejoining the line at the end.

However, a group of ten different families on a "family reunion cruise" -- 40+ people in the same "group" and technically related, but with multiple parent/kid combinations, etc. -- should not be considered a "unit" deserving of cuts. In the case of a true family unit, it can cause serious logistical problems if the members are separated from one another. As someone who has traveled solo with an infant, I can vouch for the fact that it's MUCH easier to have both parents together when kids are involved! And as someone who hates to carry a purse, I can vouch for the fact that when your husband has all the money and you're about to pass out from low blood sugar but can't buy any food, it's much easier when you haven't been separated from your travel partner! However, if I'm traveling with a group of 10 different families in one big group (which I do on an annual basis), it's not that big a deal if one family gets separated from another family for a short while, b/c each family unit is self-sufficient. You just have a game plan to "meet at the bathrooms on the other side" if anyone should happen to get separated -- it really isn't that hard to figure out, people!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, Yeah, I realize I'm preaching to the choir here! My 4yo is a lot like the one mentioned by a previous poster -- likely to make a comment out loud about the rudeness of a line-cutter.... hmmmm, I wonder where he gets his outspoken, opinionated character traits from? :rolleyes: ;)

I've only had one incidence of line cutting. Having no patience with these people I politely pointed out where the back of the line was when they tried to join the couple ahead of us and continued to do so until they got the message. :D

The other day in COSTCO, I got in line while my husband weaved his way through the crowd to get to the line I was in. He approached me and this lady who got in line behind me said to my DH "EXCUSE ME, YOU'LL HAVE TO GO TO THE BACK OF THE LINE!" I told her he was with me and he was a slow poke, but if she really was in a big hurry, she could go ahead of me (I was in a good mood that day). She was very embarrassed and we had a good laugh about it. But I know the types that cut in line. Last cruise, there were two obnoxious guys who did the same thing at embarkation. They got yelled at by the crowd and they carried on like SCREW YOU! People get away with it because they can. The majority of the people will not say anything because the majority hates confrontation. Me, I speak up, I'm not afraid to tell a line cutter to get behind me. When they try to cut in line, they are saying to you "I'm more important than you." No one is more important than me.;)

Had a similiar incident this past August while in port at Civiatecchia on the Star Princess and all the tours buses came back at the sametime...over 20 buses and both gangways were lines up for over 1000 ft on each side with people....I have never seen a crow all of a sudden just start blurting out ..."too the back of the line...to the back of the line.." as these 4 girls attempted to cut in...It was so loud I was actually pleasantly surprised as I was thinking ..what did they think we all just wanted to congregate outside 'cause it was fashionable or something?

Just as good is while my Mother is playing bingo at the bar in the Vista lounge on a bar stool the gentleman next to her proceeds to have extended periods of flatuations and farting....I couldn't belive myself...not only was the smell bad, but he would lift his left cheek and it would resonate again the leather! I had no choice but to say ...."What do you think this is ....a barn?"

I am just amazed at the behaviour of grown people sometimes in a communal setting and a captive environment such as on a cruise ship!

Had a similiar incident this past August while in port at Civiatecchia on the Star Princess and all the tours buses came back at the sametime...over 20 buses and both gangways were lines up for over 1000 ft on each side with people....I have never seen a crow all of a sudden just start blurting out ..."too the back of the line...to the back of the line.." as these 4 girls attempted to cut in...It was so loud I was actually pleasantly surprised as I was thinking ..what did they think we all just wanted to congregate outside 'cause it was fashionable or something?

Just as good is while my Mother is playing bingo at the bar in the Vista lounge on a bar stool the gentleman next to her proceeds to have extended periods of flatuations and farting....I couldn't belive myself...not only was the smell bad, but he would lift his left cheek and it would resonate again the leather! I had no choice but to say ...."What do you think this is ....a barn?"

I am just amazed at the behaviour of grown people sometimes in a communal setting and a captive environment such as on a cruise ship!

ROFLMAO :D :D :D

HighRoller, I think at that point, I'd pull a bottle of the stinkiest perfume I could find and spray it in his direction. Oh yes, another item to put in my carry around with me handbag. Maybe something like Honeysuckle by Avon, do they still make that stuff? :D

Archived