Line cutting; worse than chair hogging?

srphnx

An incident on Sapphire this morning reminded me of an incident on Diamond earlier in the year. On Diamond during debarkation a group of passengers traveling together had two or three people in line up front and then subsequently allowed the rest of the party of 35 cut in to line as they drifted into the area people were waiting in to get off. This eventually caused a yelling match and then a fist fight. I didn't see it or particpate in it but heard about it from security. I decided at that time I needed a personal policy regarding line joining of cutting. My own idea of reasonable was joining a spouse or family traveling together in the same cabin. Joining someone you know from a group or same home town was not.

With this policy in place today on Sapphire a couple came walking down the line we were all in waiting for express debarkation. They recognized the couple immediately in front of us and asked them if they could "join them". The couple said "sure" and before they could cut inline I said "perhaps you should be asking the people behind them" there were about 12 more couples behind us. I grant it was an awkward moment as they didn't expect to be questioned and I am sure most people would have let it go but I don't see why those of us who get there early and wait in line should be pushed back without so much as a polite consultation.

The couple in question did not infact ask us or any of the other people they would have pushed back but instead acted indignant and took their place at the back of the line, had I been asked I would have likely said yes but the point is there is line for a reason and the connection between the two was pretty tenuous, as they had just met aboard and discoverd they lived in the same city.

So, sound off, do you feel line cutters should be given cart blanche, questioned or keel hauled?

Keelhauled would be the least they should be punished - after keelhauling a walk the planlk excercise would be in order and then banished to the far end of the line. Just my thoughts - chair and lounge hogs should also fit into the same category.

Ron

AHMAHGAWD don't get me STARTED!

Now mind you, this comes from working at Disneyland for SEVEN YEARS.

There is a special level of HELL reserved for line cutters. Along with people who cheat on tests, and people like winning at any cost even when it involves the degridation and pain of others.

A SPECIAL LEVEL OF HELL

(along with people who blow those horrid horns at sporting events. ;) )

I empathize with you, few people seek confrontation, especially on vacation - but that is exactly what line cutters and chair hogs exploit and rely on... It's doubly aggravating that when cought and confronted, the line cutter - egoistic chair hog types usually seek to turn the situation on its head; those who confront them are rude and lacking courtesy!

The water shed event for me occured years ago in an airport. I was in a VERY long VERY slow moving check in line at the gate. The slow as molasses aspect of the line gave everyone ample opportunity to wait and watch, wait and watch, wait and watch...

I was in about the middle of the line, when I observed this older guy at the end of the line cutting the line IN SLOW MOTION! He would edge forward 6-12 inches at a time, ever so slowly passing those in line ahead of him. It was amazing to me; people in the line recognized what he was doing, yet they just resigned themselves to it - rather than address the guy! His gaze was transfixed forward, no eye contact whatsoever with those he was passing. He must have passed 20-30 people like this when he got along side me. As he began his first half-step past me, I looked at him and firmly dead panned, "It will be very detrimental to your health to continue past me." The guy stopped dead in his tracks. He didn't turn his head, blink his eyes, or say a word. When the line moved a little, he fell back a foot behind me and continued alongside or ever so slightly ahead of the folks that had been behind me in this slow moving line. They had heard what I said to the guy. I glanced at them. I think we were in silent hysterics, it was so redicules.

Steve, I totally agree with you on this one. I have had that happen and have not said anything unless it was people cutting in without a group to join. They usually give you an innocent look and say "Oh, so sorry, I didn't realize there was a line." Yeah, right! Regarding those who join others, I silently boil, wishing I had the courage to say something. It is very frustrating to be waiting your turn patiently, only to have others join someone in front of you. A policy should be in place just as you have stated. It's the same thing as those saving multiple seats at the shows. I think this is not allowed, but I am not sure. Saving seats or place in line for spouse, is one thing--saving for an entire group--definitely should not be allowed. You have chosen a real sore spot with me.

Me too, lyndabaker, but unlike srphnx, never say anything to the culprits. I really like the way you handled it, srphnx, and will try to get up the courage to do the same next time.

What really irks me is when in traffic and the lane is clearly marked CLOSED, all these idiots just breeze by then nose their way in. I stay very close to the car in front of me, but there is a point where you have to give in order to avoid a dent in the fender.

People today are in such a big hurry that they forget there manners.I have always tried to be nice and keep my mouth shut but some days I just can`t.Normally though I just say something about it loud enough for them to hear.These type of people think there time and convence seems to be more important then ours.

Maybe they just did`nt have a happy childhood,so we all owe them something right.LOL Parents should teach there children about Manners rather then teach them to be seen and not heard.

Steve you did the right thing and I agree with all of you.;)

My wife has the perfect solution for the problem as her small stature makes her a frequent target of line cutting - sharp elbows. She shows no discrimination for age, sex, credo, or ethnicity. When someone pretends not to see her and tries to barge in front of her, out goes that elbow into the offender's stomach.

I had to cheer a flight attendant when boarding a plane once. We were dutifully lined and and boarding by groups when a lady strode through the crowd and announced to the poor girl that she was Super Platinum Ultra Elite and should be able to board immediately. The attendant simply told her to take her place in line. The Super Platinum Ultra Elites had already had their chance to board early, and if she wasn't there to take advantage, she could just take her place in line the Average Everyday Ordinary People. Everyone cheered, the lady fumed but went to the back of the line.

I'm much like Steve, though, if someone wants to jump in the queue I am quite quick to helpfully point out that the line forms, "Back there."

I usually point out exactly WHERE the end of the line is, quite verbally. But of course, I leave out the "no smoking and no flash photography". Obviously they need the assistance.

because again....

there is a SPECIAL LEVEL OF HELL reserved for these people.

Well done, Steve, Well done!

On the Constellation this summer we were waiting to disembark (not a long line) at one of the ports, when this ENTITLED "lady" walked by us, flashing her elite card, explaining that she had priority to leave the ship.

This wasn't a tender port, by the way, the line was about 90 seconds long at the time, but we all had a good laugh at her expense.

I don't put line cutters in quite the same category as chair hogs, because while line cutters inconvenience me for a few minutes, chair hogs inconvenience me for hours. But I have been known to LOUDLY, at amusement parks, insist that line cutters who were 25 years younger, male and bigger than me get BEHIND me in line if they insisted on cutting in, and then told them they still had to deal with those people behind me. My standing up to these types once resulted in applause from an entire corral of people and comments from both my brothers whom I was with at the time - "we didn't know you were such a bad a%%!!" (high praise indeed).

When in this situation last year my very polite four year old grandson yelled out "WELL EXCUSE YOU"..we didn't know whether to laugh or cry but it worked..(he spends too much time with his impatient grandfather)

I would never consider cutting in a line even if it was to join my husband. We either stay put alone or go further back in line to be together..

.... My own idea of reasonable was joining a spouse or family traveling together in the same cabin. Joining someone you know from a group or same home town was not.

srphnx .... Totally Agree! Good Thread! Thanks for starting it!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

BUT, why would you stand in line to get off the ship????????

A few reasons:

(1) They cut off the food. After training so hard for a week, going 2 hours without food can be very stressful. (Actually it can be quite a bit longer than 2 hours if you're in one of the last groups, then have to wait in line for a parking shuttle, etc.)

(2) 4 hour drive home

(3) I live in Texas. It's always a bit of joy to get back onto Texas soil. :D

I do know what you mean. For me, the only real reason in #2 and the fact that there is basically zero security for luggage at Galveston.

```

Honestly, I don't think it is even OK to cut in line with a cabin mate unless there is a very good reason (e.g. elderly parent or young child and a very long line). If everybody did that, the line would wind up taking twice as long as it should.

Mike

We finally have Krispy Kreme donuts here in Green Bay- they opened this week. The first people in line get 1 dozen donuts per week for a year. There were some college kids camping out for three days before the big event. They had been in the paper and on TV about being first in line (not alot of BIG news here!)

Anyway- a few hours before the store is to open, a guy pulls up, moves the safety cones and drives his van in front of these kids who have been there three days! :eek: They asked him to move, he started shouting about being a veteran and he deserved to be first. Some radio guys got involved, then the police--it was quite a melee!! The Krispy Kreme people asked him to leave, which he did, but then proceeded to call the radio and TV stations to scream about the unfair treatment.

There are just rude and ignorant people everywhere...

If you saw my earlier reply - we prolong our disembarkation as long as possible - our last effort is to go to the Platinum Lounge - eat all we can there and stuff our bags with donuts - then chain ourselves to a column! It doesn't work too well, but we like to stay on the ship as long as we can!!!

Ron

Kreinkrunker - where in MI are you??

We had a hilarious incident at the purser's desk on the recent Golden voyage we took. We stood patiently in line behind another couple who were at the front of the line when a woman imperiously decided to get in front of everyone and approached from the side. She started talking to the purser about her problem while we all stared at each other in amazement. The couple in front laughed and said that they had watched her do the same thing at Atlanta airport! My loud comment was "and I always thought that Atlantans were so polite!" The whole line behind us applauded.

On the flight home from our last cruise, a woman in the row behind us barged ahead. Everyone stood and exited row by row, but not her. I got banged by her bag as she rushed by. I mumbled something about how important she must be and she heard me, turned and said, "Yes -- I am important -- more important than you folks". The "folks" on the plane made noises and grunts, but she headed out like nothing. However, something happened as she exited the plane. I think her shoe got caught in the opening between the plane and the jetway. When I caught up with her, she was limping and had a shoe in her hand -- minus the high-heal. It's not often I feel good about bad things happening to people, but in this case I got a huge attack of the grins. Line jumping revenge!

Archived