Clam shells on Half Moon Cay ???

joie1016

:) Does anyone have any info on renting clam shells on Half Moon Cay? How much are they and how do you reserve one? We have been there before and it would be nice to have a little shade. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

:) Does anyone have any info on renting clam shells on Half Moon Cay? How much are they and how do you reserve one? We have been there before and it would be nice to have a little shade. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

When we rented ours it was on-line before the cruise. Very convenient. However, they do have a cut-off time before your cruise so don't wait until the last minute. They can go fast also. We also rented a cabana for the day, now, that is the way to go, awesome! HMC, and you know this since you have been there before, is absolutley wonderful! Enjoy!

Here's a clam shell tip...bring something with you like a tote bag, thick book, wadded up towel, etc. to put underneath the back of the clam shell. Otherwise, there's little or no air circulation, and it can get real hot and sticky in there.

Roz

From your signature, it appears that you may be arriving at HMC on a Carnival rather than a HAL ship. I have heard that on Carnival, you cannot book the clamshells in advance - you have to do it at the shore excursions desk after boarding.

I agree that the clamshells are worth having, and the price is very reasonable. I was able to use the rear part of the chairs to prop up the back of the clamshell for ventilation - not the part your back rests against, but the part that sticks out to the rear and enables you to adjust the angle of the chair back. It was just the right distance off the ground.

Enjoy your cruise, and your visit to HMC!

From your signature, it appears that you may be arriving at HMC on a Carnival rather than a HAL ship. I have heard that on Carnival, you cannot book the clamshells in advance - you have to do it at the shore excursions desk after boarding.

I agree that the clamshells are worth having, and the price is very reasonable. I was able to use the rear part of the chairs to prop up the back of the clamshell for ventilation - not the part your back rests against, but the part that sticks out to the rear and enables you to adjust the angle of the chair back. It was just the right distance off the ground.

Enjoy your cruise, and your visit to HMC!

We are going to HMC on HAL in October. Our Carnival cruise in April does not stop there. I do thank you for your information.:)

By all means book a clamshell. The price is very reasonable and it's a great place to keep your stuff while you are in the water or at lunch.

I normally just bring a towel or two, my water bottle, sunscreen and some books. The three times that I been to HMC, never had a problem with anyone bothering my items.

I suggest three things when getting a clamshell. One, get off the ship early as possible, esp when there are two ships at the island. Also, head down the beach from the main way. There are fewer people. Last, bring a small hankie to tie on the front so you know which one is your clamshell.

If this your first time to HMC, you are going to love it. I keep my pictures from my last cruise at work to remind me of the wonderful beach day I had.

Happy sailing!!

• 6 months later...
We are going to HMC on HAL in October. Our Carnival cruise in April does not stop there. I do thank you for your information.:)

Did you find out how to preorder the shell? I looked on HA.com and could not find it. We are on the same cruise!

Here's a clam shell tip...bring something with you like a tote bag, thick book, wadded up towel, etc. to put underneath the back of the clam shell. Otherwise, there's little or no air circulation, and it can get real hot and sticky in there.

Roz

That's a definite suggestion or need. I need the clam shell for protection from the sun, but without raising the back, it's sooo hot.

When we rented ours it was on-line before the cruise. Very convenient. However, they do have a cut-off time before your cruise so don't wait until the last minute. They can go fast also. We also rented a cabana for the day, now, that is the way to go, awesome! HMC, and you know this since you have been there before, is absolutley wonderful! Enjoy!

May I ask if you had a waiter for the cabana? If so, what would be the suggested tip?

Thanks Judy

Archived