Barrow in Furness to York

marcb71a

We are sailing on the Prinsedam in July. Does anyone know if we can make it to York by train for that one day? I would love to see the cathedral.We get in at 5 am and leave at 5 pm.

Any information on this port would be helpful.

We are sailing on the Prinsedam in July. Does anyone know if we can make it to York by train for that one day? I would love to see the cathedral.We get in at 5 am and leave at 5 pm.

The train is around a four hour trip each way with one or more stops. Whilst in that area I would recommend a trip to any of the towns or villages on lakes in The Lake District. It's a stunning place (when the weather's not raining).

I agree with Jimmy. Its not really practical to get to York and there is so much more to see there than the Minster. Try to get to Windermere or Kendal in the Lake District. This is still around 2 hrs each way by train (£11.50 return and I imagine there must be buses), so may work out a better use of time to go on one of the ship tours (I imagine they will go to the Lakes).

Simon

Hi

If you use the timetable planner on the link below you will find that you will just have enough time in York to catch your train back. Of course that is assuming you catch all your connections.:D

http://ojp1.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/jp

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

I am not from the UK,but I would save York for another trip(great excuse to go back) and see Windemere and evirons as there is so much to see in York a quick train trip would not come close to do it justice.The Lake District is a wonderful place to explore.

I would agree about not attempting to get across to York from Barrow by train in a day - you may miss the boat. If you are not interested in the Lakes, you could always go to Lancaster for the day by train.

If you boat stops in Newcastle, that would be easier to get to York, as they are on the same train line.

Is the scenery the really draw or is there a specific town that is a highlight?

It's a 'culturally significant' landscape - Wordsworth the poet ('Daffodils', etc) lived at Grasmere in the Lakes (he was a Cumbrian), as for a while did Coleridge (his friend & fellow poet - 'Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner', etc), and John Ruskin (critic) had a place on Coniston Water. The Lake District was the impetus behind the founding of the National Trust, and the children's writer Beatrix Potter ('Peter Rabbit', etc) lived there. In more recent years A. Wainwright's hand-written & -illustrated mountain walking guides (recently re-published) have made their mark.

So really the whole area is worth visiting, but from Barrow the most reachable points would be the southern end, i.e. the towns of Windermere & Ambleside, and the villages of Grasmere and Rydal. Or, if you're a real outdoor fan, ignore the towns altogether and find a way to visit two westward-facing valleys, Wasdale and Eskdale. (Do some research on the 'Eskdale & Ravenglass Railway').

One thing, however - while the Lake District is never really deserted, it will be especially not deserted in July......

If you get to the South Lakes I recommend the Lakeside-Bowness- Ambleside ferry (if you want to take to the water again). It's a cruise up Lake Windermere which is spectacular. You can get off at Bowness which has a few shops, bars and restaurants, or you can stay on for Ambleside which, although smaller than Bowness, is much prettier. If a ride on a steam train interest you, you can catch a train from Haverthwaite to Lakeside on a combination ticket which includes the train and the ferry.

Archived