Curious What is french toast and biscuits

ozcaz

This was a fascinating thread. I have never eaten biscuits and gravy, even though we make about 15000 biscuits a summer for our restaurant. I always thought the gravy was like turkey gravy. Breakfast here in the Maritimes is closer to the British tradition with bacon, eggs toast and oatmeal porridge (with brown sugar and milk). Dh had grits on the Festivale and didn't care for them much. He thought they tasted like crunchy Cream of Wheat.

Hi all,

I am the one that started all this. Its amazing all the different food. Since i started this i have met a lovely couple who is on our cruise. We talk via messenger and now have got into different types of choclates and sweets we have here in aus. and what they have in america. So we are going to bring some things they would like to try and they are doing the same for us. We envisage emptying evertyhing out onto a table and a major feast will get going. As well as a few nice bottles of wine! LOL All part of the travelling experience.

I am so greatful for these boards. We would have never met them otherwise.

Caz

French toast already covered in other post. Hard to imagine why anyone drools over biscuits and gravy. I happen to make excellent baking powder biscuits, but would never top them with a fattening, greasy, gluey mass of 'gravy'. Definitely an American thing, and for your health sake, definitely worth passing by.

MI indeed. Being a Reg Nurse (and Candian) I am amazed at the plates dished up for breakfast on the ships. Biscuits with artery-clogging gravy for breakfast is bad enough, but it seems the people who dish it up also have bacon, eggs, sausages, ham, pastries etc. on their platter. There are so many yummy but healthy alternatives on board. We always take the stairs and use the gym as well. I'm afraid it would not be an option if we were to fill up on breakfast like that.

MI indeed. Being a Reg Nurse (and Candian) I am amazed at the plates dished up for breakfast on the ships. Biscuits with artery-clogging gravy for breakfast is bad enough, but it seems the people who dish it up also have bacon, eggs, sausages, ham, pastries etc. on their platter. There are so many yummy but healthy alternatives on board. We always take the stairs and use the gym as well. I'm afraid it would not be an option if we were to fill up on breakfast like that.
Good to know everyone in Canada has perfect dietary habits. For myself, I have fond recollections of biscuits and gravy prepared by both my mother and my grandmother. I don't eat this meal every day or even every month. I wouldn't look down on someone else who likes it and indulges while on their cruise vacation.

Good to know everyone in Canada has perfect dietary habits. For myself, I have fond recollections of biscuits and gravy prepared by both my mother and my grandmother. I don't eat this meal every day or even every month. I wouldn't look down on someone else who likes it and indulges while on their cruise vacation.

Sorry, not 'looking down' on anyone, but it is fairly obvious on board that the heavy eaters are not the ones doing the stairs instead of elevators, or going on fun and exciting excursions. i happen to love food but realize for my health sake that there is more to life. And as I said, obesity is a problem here in Canada too. Heh, I worked last night, and as a nurse can tell you that overweight patients have a very tough recovery. Life is all about choices! It amazes me how defensive these boards can get, especially if someone is a 'foreigner' by American definitions. Perhaps I will therefore be deleted too.

You should know better than most, lots of over weight people have problems like thyroid that causes there over weight, and not food. I have a 12 year granddaughter who has had thyroid problems sence she turned 7, She is very over weight. And there is nothing they can do to stop it. People like you who see her eating a cookie, always say " look that girl does not need a cookie she needs to go and climb the stairs all day." Your so hurtful... She needs someone to find a cure for thyroid. So she too can eat a cookie without people making fun of her weight. So the next person you see in the er who is over weight hope you find it in your heart to think of my granddaughter, who has to live with being over weight not from bad food habits.

I, too, am hypothyroid and have had problems with my weight ... I'm on thyroid medication that helps control that plus, after a lot of research/reading, I found that cutting down on carbs (white breads, biscuits, etc.) helps tremendously! Boy is this difficult!!! I love food ... when we cruise, I don't eat the bread at dinner and when I order I ask that the potatoes, rice, etc. be left off my plate. This isn't easy to do but it works ... and then, I always have dessert!!! I feel for your granddaughter as I grew up as a "fat" kid ... isn't fun to have comments about your weight constantly made by bystanders. Tell her to hang in there ... and everyone around her will have to help her with her new way of eating.

Good luck!!!!

I, too, am hypothyroid and have had problems with my weight ... I'm on thyroid medication that helps control that plus, after a lot of research/reading, I found that cutting down on carbs (white breads, biscuits, etc.) helps tremendously! Boy is this difficult!!! I love food ... when we cruise, I don't eat the bread at dinner and when I order I ask that the potatoes, rice, etc. be left off my plate. This isn't easy to do but it works ... and then, I always have dessert!!! I feel for your granddaughter as I grew up as a "fat" kid ... isn't fun to have comments about your weight constantly made by bystanders. Tell her to hang in there ... and everyone around her will have to help her with her new way of eating.

Good luck!!!!

If you have not looked at the website or

read any of Mary Shomon's books,

do visit:

http://thyroid.about.com/

Do you think that the results of the lo carb approach are

"augmented" by the thyroid imbalances? Of course, many people are

using the lo carb diets these days, but it is a fascinating

idea that thyroid imbalance has some effect!

• 2 weeks later...

Having relatives in Canada I am very familiar with their quisine. I love the people there and the country is absolutely beautiful but the food is not very good.I would say it's simular to English fair. Boiled everything and no gravy. And the worst italian and chinese food you could imagine. Great Maple syrup though.

I have to say that the worst artery clogging food I have ever seen is Canadian Poutine. Fries, Gravy and Cheese Curds. Now I will admit that I love it wink.gif
That's what I was thinking too! (don't forget the salt-ewww!) This is a board to discuss favorite foods, not to pick on each others "bad habits". Anything in moderation;) .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Okay, I'm not sure, but I think you can be shot for eating grits this way in the South! :D :D

Just kidding, but I have to admit I'm pretty sure my mamma just rolled over in her grave! That's OATMEAL you eat with raisins and syrup... now grits is with SALT (especially on a ship), butter, and maybe a little crumbled up bacon!

You got that right! For breakfast in Alabama you got grits: salt and butter; oatmeal: butter, sugar, and cream; cream of wheat: either way. My ex-used to put sugar on grits--egads, can you imagine?? :eek:

Anyone else like cheese grits? Word to the wise: spray Pam on your cooking spoon or your cheese will stick to it and come right out of your grits. :cool:

Anyone ever found cheese grits on a cruise?? :p

If you have not looked at the website or

read any of Mary Shomon's books,

do visit:

http://thyroid.about.com/

Do you think that the results of the lo carb approach are

"augmented" by the thyroid imbalances? Of course, many people are

using the lo carb diets these days, but it is a fascinating

idea that thyroid imbalance has some effect!

I have thyroid disease and I'm hypothyroid, too. One thing I can say about levothyroxine--it will give you a ferocious appetite that you cannot ignore even if your levels are otherwise in balance. You can get around it, but you can't just pretend you don't want to eat. At least I can't. Appetite has been the hardest thing to deal with of all the problems I've had.

How I'm going to manage to keep off the 25 lbs I've lost since July while eating cruise food, I don't know.

I'm voraciously (did I spell that correctly?) reading these posts scarfing up all the ideas. Any additional ideas are so welcome, you wouldn't believe it.

• 4 years later...
The lost bread (french toast) I grew up with in New Orleans and still make is: add a bit of milk and a lot of cinnamon to the whipped eggs, and then dip the bread (french bread best) in them to fry.

That is how we prepare our french toast, also add a little vanilla extract and a dash of salt.

French toast already covered in other post. Hard to imagine why anyone drools over biscuits and gravy. I happen to make excellent baking powder biscuits, but would never top them with a fattening, greasy, gluey mass of 'gravy'. Definitely an American thing, and for your health sake, definitely worth passing by.

We visited Canada when my girls were small and we ordered an order of french fries for my 5 year old and they served it with gravy and vinegar on it. THat was pretty disgusting in itself.:eek:

Lox is a smoked salmon, sliced usually from the belly of the salmon. It is really good and goes together with a bagel (type of roll with a hole in the middle) and cream cheese, also red onion and some like capers on it also. Try it. Most people that do really like it. I like to smear it on the cream cheese and bagel. My hubby likes several slices on his cream cheese and bagel. Funny, my hubby does not like cream chees but will eat it this way. As for lobster, i am not crazy about any shell fish. enjoy

Lox and bagels, slap my southern behind, I love it, I eat it every morning on the ship, subs great for bacon and eggs lol. I still wonder about the baked beans, NCL has them on the menu for breakfast, but around here its part of the BBQ.

oOo lox and creamcheese w tomato on an egg bagel is the best thing in the world (next to the other 100 foods I would list as the best thing in the world....prob. including french toast. but biscuits and gravy I can more than do without. Ever).

We visited Canada when my girls were small and we ordered an order of french fries for my 5 year old and they served it with gravy and vinegar on it. THat was pretty disgusting in itself.:eek:

french fries w mozzerella melted on top, dipped in gravy!

Disco fries!

So good! So bad for you!

Archived