On Embarkation Day, Is Lunch served in the Lido AND the Main Dining Room..???

Suesan Jean

I have a question....

When we board the Noordam in March, will Lunch be served ONLY in the Lido OR will there be Lunch served in the main Dining Room as well....???

Why I ask is that, on NCL, you are "steered" towards the Buffet, but there IS Lunch in the Main Dining Room.

Thank you for your help.......:)

Just got off Oosterdam, a sister ship to Noordam. Just a few days before we left, I found out here on the CC Board that they were, indeed, also serving lunch in the main dining room. It was much better than fighting the crowds in the Lido. Of course you don't have as many food choices - but there were a reasonable selection of appetizers/entrees etc.

I have read here before that some people have found the ship is serving lunch in the dining room on embarkation day but we have never seen that in a great many HAL cruises. Then again, we haven't really paid much attention so perhaps it was and we didn't notice. ;)

Just got off Oosterdam, a sister ship to Noordam. Just a few days before we left, I found out here on the CC Board that they were, indeed, also serving lunch in the main dining room. It was much better than fighting the crowds in the Lido. Of course you don't have as many food choices - but there were a reasonable selection of appetizers/entrees etc.

Thank YOU for your reply...!!!icon14.gif:)

I KNOW where my DH and I will BE HAVING Lunch on our FIRST day on the Noordam.......:D

I think that dining in the main Dining Room just sets the tune of the whole cruise.......:)

I have read here before that some people have found the ship is serving lunch in the dining room on embarkation day but we have never seen that in a great many HAL cruises. Then again, we haven't really paid much attention so perhaps it was and we didn't notice. ;)

It took us three cruises on NCL to "be-in-the-know" about the main Dining Room Lunch. icon3.gif :D

Prior, we just went with-the-crowd.......:)

I hope you aren't disappointed and find it closed. Please let us know when you return if Noordam's Dining Room served lunch embarkation day. I'm really interested to know. Thanks in advance.

When I first cruised on Princess I was directed to go to the buffet but had found out on their board that lunch was served in one of the 3 dining rooms. Sure enough it was, but when I asked I was told no. I just found the dining room and walked in. My TA told me that often times the line will have a special luncheon for folks in the port area involved in the travel industry. Perhaps I horned in on their luncheon but oh well. I did eat in the Lido on my first HAL cruise because I could never find out if lunch was being served in the dining room.

SJ -

Mom & Dad said - no dining room on embarkation day for lunch. This was in 2007 and 2006 as well.

I think it may have something to do with the turn around time in NYC and how they handle that.

Trust me, the Lido on HAL puts NCL to absolute shame! :D Bob even likes it up there (and he hates buffets).

SJ -

Mom & Dad said - no dining room on embarkation day for lunch. This was in 2007 and 2006 as well.

I think it may have something to do with the turn around time in NYC and how they handle that.

Trust me, the Lido on HAL puts NCL to absolute shame! :D Bob even likes it up there (and he hates buffets).

Well, I am a wee bit dissapointed......:o

But, if Bob liked the Lido, I guess it HAS to be GOOD....!!!:) :D

Thank's for the info.......icon14.gif

On the Zuiderdam last month lunch was served in the d.r. on embarkation day, but no one told us that ... we just decided to check. Other than the Zuiderdam and Oosterdam I don't think most ships are currently doing it.

Well, I am a wee bit dissapointed......:o

But, if Bob liked the Lido, I guess it HAS to be GOOD....!!!:) :D

Thank's for the info.......icon14.gif

SJ -

The HAL experience will make you never want to go back to NCL if it is just 1/2 as good as what we have experienced and what my parents have experienced.

(And, my Dad's fussy with food due to allergies as well and LOVES Lido - this coming from a man who can't walk far due to health reasons. They carry the trays for you, etc.).

You can't go wrong with HAL.

I'm just depressed that in 2009 they won't be in NYC - looks like the long drive to Florida is on for 2009! :D

SJ -

The HAL experience will make you never want to go back to NCL if it is just 1/2 as good as what we have experienced and what my parents have experienced.

(And, my Dad's fussy with food due to allergies as well and LOVES Lido - this coming from a man who can't walk far due to health reasons. They carry the trays for you, etc.).

You can't go wrong with HAL.

I'm just depressed that in 2009 they won't be in NYC - looks like the long drive to Florida is on for 2009! :D

Well, if Thomas and I end up enjoying Holland America a lot, maybe we can "CARPOOL" down to Florida....!!!!icon3.gificon14.gif:D ;)

Golfette, just curious! How many pax were eating (and thus were aware) in the Vista dining room on your embarkation day? Just checked our papers again from last week and the fact that the DR was open for business that day was/is not listed in either the "Welcome Aboard" folder or the Daily Program nor is that information freely given out.

Archived