Dolphin Deck - Grand Princess - how private?

Tintown

We've heard that there is very little privacy on the Dolphin Deck baconies on this ship, from above. Does anyone know if there is an obscure partition between the balconies separating neighbouring cabins, or is that all open as well? Also, any ideas of obtaining privacy on this deck, eg: umbrellas, shades etc?

We've heard that there is very little privacy on the Dolphin Deck baconies on this ship, from above. Does anyone know if there is an obscure partition between the balconies separating neighbouring cabins, or is that all open as well? Also, any ideas of obtaining privacy on this deck, eg: umbrellas, shades etc?

Yes there are partitions, no there are no umbrellas.

The balconies on Dolphin deck jut out further than any other point on the ship above that deck. Therefore all decks above Dolphin can look down onto the balconies. There is no option of putting up shades or umbrellas on these decks. On a usual day at sea they would blow away anyway!

And yes, there is partition in between each balcony.

We love to book Caribe Deck balconies on the Grand Class ships where we can have privacy when we please or move out into the sun where there is less privacy. As to the mini-suites below on D-Deck, we can probably tell you everything about the folks below including what they eat, smoke, and how many hairs they have on their heads. When you book one of those Dolphin Deck cabins, understand that you will have absolutely no privacy on your balcony nor will you be able to get any shelter from a hot sun or rain.

Hank

When you book one of those Dolphin Deck cabins, understand that you will have absolutely no privacy on your balcony nor will you be able to get any shelter from a hot sun or rain.
On the other hand, the Dolphin deck cabins are mini-suites so that you have a lot more room in the cabin with a sitting area and 2nd TV plus a full-sized tub/shower; often enough reason for some people to put up with the fully-exposed balcony. Me? I've booked the covered mini-suite on Emerald deck. :)

Now, on the plus side, as someone who has always (at least for my first 3 cruises and about to be 4th) stayed in a mini-suite on Dolphin deck--I love it! You get to look straight down on the water--very pleasing, particularly at night. Since I don't "cavort", but rather just sit out reading a book or doing needlepoint or eating and drinking wine, who cares? Plus, I have great hair so whoever is looking down at me can just sigh with envy. And when they take the life boats out, it is great fun watching them be hoisted out--makes one feel secure as one could always just jump down into one of them should the need arise. Personally, I just love the Dophin deck balconies!

I have to agree with Queenston about the dolphin deck balconies. Spacious, great view looking down to the ocean, and roomy mini-suites.

While one may feel that they have privacy with the balconies on the other decks, that is a false sense of security, as looking up, one can see right through the safety panel on the front of the balconies.

No problem here either with Dolphin deck minis. We found them as good as Caribe, Baja or Aloha.

Those on the balconys above that feel they can't be seen are fooling themselves from Dolphin you can see people sitting out on these balconys, from the bridge or the deck above the bridge you have a perfect view of all the balconys.

As for shade a covered balcony will only give you shade when the sun is high in the sky or on the opposite side of the ship. Dolphin balconys have shade when the sun is low on the opposite side of the ship. Protection from rain, on covered a balcony, only occurs when there is no wind and it is not raining very hard otherwise even the sliding door gets wet.

160 plus posts (I believe) and countless of posts I have read, not once have I ever come accross anyone ever, I mean EVER, say in their review or in a dedicated post "and when I looked down to the Dolphin Deck balconies, I saw a couple doing only that which should be done in the privacy of their room".

Not once.

I just don't see that the uncovered balcony is an issue however I'm in one in three days. I'll let you know :eek:

Archived