Are the 2 for 1 offers usually the best deals

markRichmond

I was wondering if anyone ever sees better deals than the 2 for 1 prices that Radisson offers? I looked around when we booked and that seemed to be the best price available and it appears that Radisson does not discount more than 50% as the ship date approaches like many other lines.

Well, it's the best we've ever found. Except perhaps for last year when we got a Paul Gauguin special, in the spring (hot season), with free air, and $1k off per person. That probably about amounts to a 2-fer on the PG. That was when the cruise industry was still recovering from 9/11, and deep discounts were in effect.

For 2005, Radisson has changed their pricing to Tahiti--lower cruise price, higher airfare, so free air would then become a real bonus on that particular cruise, especially from the east coast, maybe better than a 2-fer. Or if you can go on points, then you can do very well.

2 for 1 cruises are always the cheapest on RSSC, but many times the itinerary is not the best. The exception to the rule is the Navigator 26 day Pacific cruise in 2005. When Mariner did that same cruise the ship was completely booked and it was not a 2 for 1. RSSC is also rewarding folks who book early. I've never seen them discount at the last minute just to fill the ship like the mass market lines do.

Pretty much 2 for 1 is as good as it gets, unless they throw in "free air" or " business class for price of economy" and you just never know when those are going to pop up. We booked our Sep 22 Navigator Canada/New England onboard Mariner well over a year ago, then a few months ago, "free air" was added, which we got, then they came out with a two categoyr upgrade, which was denied, but after letting my RSSC Sales Rep know my thoughts on the subject, we got that as well, but it was to the same kind of cabin, just a couple of decks up, except for one couple who booked a Navigator Suite and were moved to one of the Grand Suites. and we didn't find out until our documents arrived with new cabin numbers. Best thing to do is book what you want and then keep checking the website, usually, and I use that term carefully, they will honor new specials to already booked passengers - you just have to get your TA to pursue it. However, that said, Radisson does not do the usual discounting at the last minute you see on a lot of other lines, so don't count on it - if you see it, ask for it, if you don't, then you probably got a good deal to beginwith, especially at 2 for 1.

JoAnn

I've run across a few 2-for-1's that were discounted even further during the last 90 days on underbooked cruises. But they're discreetly offered and you have to go look for them. Sometimes there are upgrades built in so that the price doesn't look like a bargain basement offering.

• 1 month later...

We booked a 2 for 1 for our first RSSC cruise on the Navigator for the 11 day RT Ft Lauderdale cruise this February. From their web site it looks like it is starting to sell out and the prices have gone up since we booked by a couple hundred $$. We think the itinerary is one of the best for the East/South Caribbean and really like the long times in some ports!! Can't wait!! PS - for anyone who has done RSSC on similar itineraries in the past, what were some of the best excursions? We've started a quasi roll call for this cruise (2-19) but so far haven't found anyone else on the boards - rather surprising to us. We have a CAT F forward balcony and hope the only vibrations we get are good vibrations!!! Let us know about excursions. Thanks!

Greygypsie,keep trying, I'm sure there are more on your cruise! Yes, I think the 2 fers are the best deals in my mind. Unfortunately for me, I am looking into other cruises since I have already done the ones who have them. So after you have already done Greece, Alaska, the Baltics, and the Med, along with assorted other cruises in the islands, you have to to look to group travels through your TA and those early booking incentives. Nothing will keep me from continuing to cruise, but the more I do it, the more challenges there are to keep the pricing down!

In Dominica, we hired a private guide from an outfit I heard about on the Ports boards (very good source for excursion info) just for the morning to see Emerald Pool and Trafalgar Falls, and did the tubing ride in the afternoon, which was a load of laughs for everyone!

In 2004 the 2 for 1 or upgrade offers often came out later and upon request they did change the early bookers to the new lower rate.

The way Radisson is pricing for 2005 is quite different. The plan is to reward the EARLY booker and not reward LATE bookers. The 2 for 1 or early booking offers, (which can be up to 40% off or include free air, buy economy or upgrade to business) came out when the cruises were first offered. The plan is to sell a certain number of cabins at that rate and then offer different specials or reduce the early booking discount. The very first rate offered being the BEST.

So far that is exactly what is happening. Many of the original 2 for 1 offers aboard the Diamond in Europe are now gone. They are replaced by the What a Fare Deal - Free air or $1000 off which is not as good a deal as the 2 for 1 prices.

Of course no one can predict the future and it is possible that on some sailing at some point they may come up with a special offer but I think that this will be rare in 2005 if they stick with the plan that has been laid out. The bookings for 2005 are looking good so I think that this will be the way it is in 2005.

I have kind of a dumb question about 2-fers on RSSC:

As an example, I see this offer for the 5/20/05 Pacific Coastal cruise. The website lists $5438 as the best available fare per person for a Penthouse C. Does that mean it's approx $2719 pp with the offer, or is it really $10876 and they've already broken it down into the pp cost?

I'm hoping to try out RSSC in 2006 - just waiting for the schedule to come out next year. Thanks in advance for the clarification!

From what Ngaire has indicated RSSC appears to be going back to the older format in which early bookings where favored with lower fares, i.e., early booking rates. 2 for 1's were usually rare and found on repositioning cruises. In the early days they gave great deals for back to backs. Any comments?

We booked our upcoming cruise using the two-for-one fares offered. There was also a two category upgrade available. So we paid the two-for-one fare for a cat. H - that gave us a cat. F guarantee. When the documents arrived, we found that we were assigned a cat. D. I think it's turned out to be a great bargain.

Jamie

Archived