Considering transatlantic - your thoughts?

akafurby

Hello everyone. My husband and I are in our late 30s and would love to try a Seabourn cruise. My husband has never cruised. I have only cruised on the mass market lines and don't really care for the lines, the crowds, the madness of figuring out what activity is going on where. I know that this type of cruise would not be the best first experience for my husband.

I saw the transatlantic, Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale cruise - 13 days. I think that would be an ideal place for him to start and for us to experience all the lovely things that Seabourn has to offer. Would anyone disagree with my assumption?

We're rather sedate - not much into clubs or partying, nor do we need lavish entertainment or extravaganzas. My hubby would find bliss in a good book and glass of scotch out in the sun.

Would we enjoy (and would we be welcome) on this type of cruise? It's a lot of days at sea?

Many thank yous for your thoughts.

Crossings are highlights for some and the least enjoyed by others. Not having a port to look forward to can be good or frustrating. If the seas are bad (and you never know on a crossing), and you get seasick it can be a terrible experience. However, if you are a blue water sailor, a bad sea day is part of the fun. That said, if I was going to do a crossing it would most definitely be on Seabourn.

I agree with what CruisinMatt & Iamboatman just posted. I consider a crossing on Seabourn to be the most relaxing vacation afloat especially with the signature Seabourn signature pampering! Once the attentive wait staff learns your preferences, your needs will be anticipated! Seabourn sailors come from all walks of life and are friendly. Finding an interesting person to talk to is never a problem on Seabourn. The entertainment program is low key and the entertainment staff and guest lecturers are out and about the ship and approachable for a chat if you so desire.

I prefer the westbound crossings because you get to retard your watches and clocks while sailing through those 5 time zones (an extra half-day of daylight). The Legend November crossing takes the warmer southern route and the last six years the seas have been calm and the temperatures start out in the mid 70's in Tenerife and warms up to the mid 80's by the time we reach FLL. :cool: King Neptune may have other ideas so it is always good to be prepared.

The crossings on Seabourn are very popular and the Legend westbound crossings the last two years were sold out in April / May and wait-listed. With so many loyal repeaters, the crossing is akin to a family reunion. However, new Seabourn family members are always welcome to join in on the fun or opt out — it is YOUR vacation! I think you will quickly get into the rhythm of the ship, make some friends and before you know it it will be time to pack and go home (which is real hard). :(

>" However, new Seabourn family members are always welcome to join in on the fun or opt out — it is YOUR vacation!"

Paul is right, but I found the reuning sailors cliquish and not that amenable to newcomers. Now that is a factor of the same friends sailing together at least yearly. Just an observation. I have done 3 crossings, 2 northern, 1 southern, all E>W. Despite the bouncy seas and rain, I prefer the northern route with shorter sea time. But I think that has been discontinued.

I am usually the only dissenting opinion on crossings. There are other threads discussing this. Perhaps it's that if one has sailed Seabourn before, it's pretty repetitive. Now, mind you, I don't need to be entertained and am, actually, somewhat of a loner, but I get antsy after 5 days. And I do love to sail on Seabourn and do it quite regularly, about 4 weeks a year, but need ports, even with a good book and scotch. The library, BTW, is very good on Seabourn.

Seaburn is a wonderful product and I have made many close friends onboard. It is not to be missed, whichever itinerary you choose.

The major part of your decision really lies within you and the DH - if you can be very happy at sea for 10 days (we sure can!!), then you will LOVE a SB crossing. We've crossed on Silversea (Southampton to Boston) and Seabourn (Ft. L'dale-Lisbon this past spring) and loved both experiences. Would repeat in a NY mili-second if the wallet cooperated!

We did have a few spots of weather on both crossings (tip: if either of you are laid very low by the motion of the ocean, opt for 'the shot' from the ship's doctor, pronto! It's a miracle worker). We also met a range of delightful, interesting people, mainly by joining tables of 4 or 6 at dinner. Good luck!

I've never experienced the "cliquish" passengers Jane is talking about. I have been on 7 or 8 crossings, twice west to east and the rest east to west. I love seeing old friends and meeting new friends! On crossings you really get to know your fellow passengers, and can make life-long friends. I'd recommend it! (BTW can't say that I, personally, have ever run into any bad seas - knock on wood)

Host Dan

Dan,Have you thought that the Cliquish guests might include yourself and several others that post here. :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

Hmm, good point, although I don't believe knowing alot of the returning guests would make me cliquish per se. I tend to believe that I try to get to know the person I'm sitting next to, whether I knew them before or not. Just my thoughts about myself, maybe not others? ;)

Host Dan

I know nothing of Seabourne, but if I hadn't cruised I would not want to do a transatlantic. I'd be bored. I like smaller cruise ships, but having done a 30 day Caribbean, the worst part was the crossing from the UK. First two days were fine, after that I just wanted to get there.

Thank you for your comments! Part of my "would we be welcome" concern had to with age and fitting in, but the "cliquish" comments were a bit of a surprise. Of the 200 passengers who do a crossing, are the majority repeat cruisers? I've read so much about meeting new friends aboard, I would hope newbies wouldn't be excluded from that experience - meeting new people and hearing their stories is half the reason I want to go! :)

I have no idea how many crossing cruisers are repeaters, but their groups are not that big, so there are always people to chat with. Those repeaters are very nice, but occasionally they can be a bit immune to outsiders joining in their activities. And, there is always a bar group, sometimes taking up all the seats, but that isn't generally a problem either. I use the analogy of a summer camp, and there are always the returning campers who have picked out the best bunks. It shouldn't be a concern. And age really never comes into it, in my opinion.

One of the best ways of meeting new friends is to join one of the hosted tables at dinner each night. That is one of the reasons I continue to sail on Seabourn. You can accept or decline an invitation, but I would try it first. Also, the Maitre d's are very good at mixing and matching diners at smaller tables for dinner. Since it is open seating, there is no concern about being seated with the same people every night, like on some cruise lines. I must admit, only twice in my cruising on Seabourn, have I run into a real crashing bore/annoying cruiser. And only once have I switched place cards with one of them!

Archived