Help me decide

dakrewser

We're thinking strongly of going back to Alaska next summer, and there are three different itineraries I'm looking at. Each includes stops in Juneau, Victoria and cruising Tracey Arm. It's the other two ports that differ:

1) Sitka and Skagway

2) Skagway and Ketchikan

3) Ketchikan and Sitka

We've been to all three before (see Alaska links in my signature for pix), and are leaning towards Sitka & Ketchikan, but I would like to hear what others think, especially about activities available (shopping, cultural sites, nature and scenery - lighthouses are good - are our favorites. No kayaking, mountain climbing or fishing, though.)

Thanks in advance!

After 4 cruises to Alaska I would chose Skagway and Sitka.

Skagway has a lot of history and is a gateway to Haines (bald eagle refuge) and the Yukon tertitory. Also the White Pass Yukon Railroad. (Save the money on the train ride rent a car and drive to emerald lake.) The Park Service offers town tours and there are several museums.

Sitka is very interesting and they usually get only one cruise ship per day. This give a different perspective as the locals are not as dependent on the tourist trade. There are several opportunities for whale watching and viewing the eagles. The most I have ever seen were in Sitka. The Russian Heritage here is a must see.

IMHO Ketchican offers totem poles, fishing and air tours of Misty Fjords but is very much commercialized. I have seen the poles watched the fish and flown to Misty Fjords. Most of which I would not do a second time.

The Alaske cruise is a must and we plan to go again next year. Keep asking questions. This BB abd others are a wealth of knowledge.

IMHO the above poster hit the nail on the head.. I would choose Sitka and Skagway also.. Personally Ketchikan is my least favorite port even though surrounding area is lovely and there are some excellent tour options. Sitka is not on as many itineraries but also IMHO is the "hidden jewel" on the Alaska cruise route. If you are a history buff, you will love these two ports! Skagway is gateway to the Yukon and there is enough to do there for more than one cruise (on my sixth!). Check your port times. One reason we opted for Diamond Princess next year for a Cruise Critic group is the long port times in Skagway & Juneau allowing time to plan more than one activity.

Check your port times. One reason we opted for Diamond Princess next year for a Cruise Critic group is the long port times in Skagway & Juneau allowing time to plan more than one activity.

Port times aren't really a problem. WE're looking at: 10 hours in Sitka, 13 in Skagway and 8 in Ketchikan. (all three cruises include 15 hours in Juneau and 7 in Victoria).

I would lean towards Sitka and Ketchikan. Although I loved seeing a bear driving up to Emerald Lake, I thought the town wasn't as exciting as Ketchikan. When we go to Skagway the only thing I think about it getting out of town and seeing everything else. When we go next summer we will be taking the shuttle to Haines and the Eagle Preserve and then coming back to do the dog sledding in the afternoon.

Misty

Dave...you have THE best vacation pictures Ive seen on these post to date.I cant wait to be able to see a few of the sites that you have visited.ANY one of your pictures would be quality for enlarging and framing.You should do that (if you dont already),and make a fortune!! Im hoping to get some good shots to do just that.My cruise is the 7 day out of Vancouver..sites of Juneau,Skagway,Ketchikan,and Prince Rupurt..ending up in Seattle.Staying 2 extra days on both ends of cruise.If you have any suggestions of "cant" miss things for me,Id appreciate the input.Im getting kinda confused reading all the different post here,but do so appreciate all that Ive read.This is my 2nd cruise,my husbands 5th (although our sept cruise was his 1st in about 25 yrs),and we are traveling with my brother and sil,1st time cruisers.Thank you so much for sharing your vacation! Looking forward to reading more of your post! Dot (one of the 4 Texans cruising to Alaska in 2005 ! )

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Misty, I am going to Alaska in June 2005. I would like to do the Yukon train ride and

also the ferry from Skagway to Haines to see the preserve. I will be Skagway from 7:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Do u think I will have enough time to do both. Thanks for your help. This is my first time going to Alaska and trying to fit everything in which I'm reading is almost impossible. Lois

Going to Haines in June will have minimal eagle sightings if that is your interest. If you invest the time- you will see eagles during your trip- most anywhere. Just keep looking up and have a good pair of binoculars- at least 10 power is my preference. For clairfication- the White Pass RR does not go to the YUKON, it's about 20 miles short turning back in BC.

we loved Skagway. We did the WP&Y and found the scenery breathtaking. Alos you can both look around and not worry about driving . We did the sightseeing bus tour also. It was okay but can be skipped. I would like to see Sitke next time we go. Juneau was okay. I did not care for the shopping at Ketchikan WAY too many jewelry stores with way over priced items.

Squid

• 7 months later...

dakrewser

So... this is an old thread but I just came across it and want to THANK YOU for posting your pictures under your signature. I did have some second thoughts about giving up Mendenhall Glacier at Juneau in favor of a Tracy Arm / Sawyer catamaran excursion. These pictures just cemented in my mind that we are doing the right thing for us. Eight hours away from civilization into that gorgeous wilderness! Thanks for taking the time to share:) photos.

I think you could do both if you choose the right itinerary. By choosing a ship which features Glacier Bay, you can then add on Tracy Arm/Sawyer Glacier at Juneau . You would need to make sure the hours you're in Juneau would match up since it's an 8 hour (very reasonably priced) excursion.

I'm not sure about ships which feature Tracy Arm... if you can then add on a Glacier Bay excursion. Maybe someone else can help you there.

Good luck! It's Alaska, you won't go wrong no matter what!:)

Archived