Going to war with ship's photographers

amagar

Hi,

Has anyone ever flatly refused all efforts by the ship's photographers?

I understand many people like to pose on formal nights, etc. But what irks me is a back-up trying to board...or a back-up trying to get off the ship...

"War" was to get people to read my query..and maybe hoping for unity among fellow cruisers who similarly dislike the photogs.

The photogs don't ruin my picnic...they're just pesky little ants I'd prefer not to have around..

We usually pass by the photographer, but occasionally when we get 'caught', we'll go along with it....and a couple of times we've been happy with the photos and have purchased them. Nice mementos to have now, and the high cost of them was forgotten very quickly.

our our last cruise - the photo guy - in the dining room for formal night - would not take NO - and was determined to do couples photos - without wine glasses in the picture. He kept insisting that glasses be moved - until - you guessed it - a glass tipped and broke. :eek:

We can bypass the line on and off the ship - but when sitting in the dining room - and they don't leave - where do you go?

I think they have gotten way to expensive. Why don’t they let you preview the photos digitally and order the prints you want? Some of the pictures are very good. They cost of processing would be much lower and there would be much less waste. Maybe they could even pass some of the cost savings on to us so we can buy a few more!!!!!! :D

Hi,

Has anyone ever flatly refused all efforts by the ship's photographers?

I understand many people like to pose on formal nights, etc. But what irks me is a back-up trying to board...or a back-up trying to get off the ship...

Where's the problem - nobody forces you to buy them ... A simple "No, thank you" should suffice if you really object to having your picture taken. We usually purchase some of the shots taken, they make for nice memories and at times have been the only photos of a trip where we are both in the picture

I think they have gotten way to expensive. Why don’t they let you preview the photos digitally and order the prints you want? Some of the pictures are very good. They cost of processing would be much lower and there would be much less waste. Maybe they could even pass some of the cost savings on to us so we can buy a few more!!!!!! :D

I think that is a very good suggestion - I believe that on some cruise lines they already do that, wish more would follow ;)

our our last cruise - the photo guy - in the dining room for formal night - would not take NO - and was determined to do couples photos - without wine glasses in the picture. He kept insisting that glasses be moved - until - you guessed it - a glass tipped and broke.

We can bypass the line on and off the ship - but when sitting in the dining room - and they don't leave - where do you go?

We just say "No, thank you". That usually is sufficient, but last month a photographer kept insisting that we move close together (while we were dining, and I had to say "PLEASE....We REALLY don't want a photograph, thanks very much anyway". :(

our our last cruise - the photo guy - in the dining room for formal night - would not take NO - and was determined to do couples photos - without wine glasses in the picture. He kept insisting that glasses be moved - until - you guessed it - a glass tipped and broke. :eek:

Haven't dealt wih this on Celebrity yet, but we would just say no thank you. They had better not take photos of us in the dining room if we decline. They don't want to deal with my DH.

Sometimes it's just easier to let them take the picture and be on your way. The pictures at dinner have always been a bust for us, but, agian, it's just easier to say "yes" and then don't buy them.

I understand the photogs side of the story. They need to take a zillion pictures to keep the boss happy. No pics, no sales, = no job.

We buy pics but not the dinner or port gangplank stuff.

No meant nothing to them.....We started with polite and ended up telling them where to put their equiptment.....not to mention the unprintable shots of "the bird".....No once, should get the message across, no twice is irritating, the third time is a strike and anything including language and hand signals are fair game in my book.

Dave:eek:

Wow - I guess I must not be much of a target. I've never had a pushy photographer stalk me or force me to pose for a picture. Actually, we often wonder why our pictures are never taken when we depart from the ship, or on the pool deck, or on the private islands. On our last cruise (on RCCI) the photog did not visit our dining table one time ... we were honestly more than a bit disappointed because we were traveling with far-flung friends and would have liked to have a picture taken.

On RCCI they are now starting to provide some photos in a digital format. You slide your Seapass in a viewer machine and can review your pictures there.

Oh - and you can add me to the list of people wondering why one must go to "war" with the photographers. Does everything have to be so dramatic? Just say "NO".

The only picture line you have to stand in is the one for your ID. You just have to walk around a line if you don't want your picture taken. And at dinner just smile and get it over with. :rolleyes:

What a wonderful problem to have.:)

When getting on the boat in Galveston, there is no options. You have to wait in the single file line until you get up to where they want to take your picture and just keep on walking and say no thanks. But that is a little irritating, the only way to get on the boat is to wait in the picture line. I've had them get down right rude with me like I was a difficult passenger just because I choose not to get my picture taken. I should not have to grin and deal with it. It makes me very uncomfortable to pose for a picture with many onlookers. Anyway just say no and they will get over it and so will I.

I read on a cheapskates post that many times on formal night they leave the back drops up for a couple of hours after the last dinner. They said its a great time to go from backdrop to backdrop with another couple and take each others pictures. Just don't get caught. :eek: :rolleyes:

A short story:

*The Photographer showed up exactly at the same time that our Waiter and our hot food came.

*It was a table of 8, and she wanted half of us to get up and stand on the other side of the table (group shot)

*I did not want our food (many of us having fish) to get cold, and asked that she come back.

*She started to argue with me (just wouldn't take no for an answer).

*Eventually, I asked the Waiter to get her the $#%& out of here.

*She started arguing with him.

*Eventually the Section/Head Waiter came over and made her leave.

*After dinner the Maitre d’ came over to ask what happened and get details.

Two things resulted from that:

1. When we got back to our Cabin that evening there was a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a note of apology from the front desk; and

2. When I didn't see her in the dining room, or around ship any more, I asked the Head Waiter and he said she was "put off" at the next port-of-call. Guess she was “trouble” to more than just us??

Let me end by saying that this was a rare occurrence --- a polite, one-time. "No" has always worked in the past.

Archived