Anchorage hotel question

UF G8R

My DH and I stayed here 2 yrs ago before our land tour. It was and still is(I think) across from a chain steak place that was very good. I don't remember the name of the restaurant. We did have to cross a major highway but we felt the walk would do us good after a long flight. Anyway, the curtains on the windows were only sheers. The heavy curtains were just decorative at the far ends of the large window. It stayed light outside to some crazy early morning time. I used a hair clip to pull the decorative curtain as close to closed as I could. We were so tired we didn't want to call the front desk. We just wanted sleep. I had posted this info when I returned from our trip, but some woman didn't believe me.. :rolleyes: You may want to call ahead of time. Maybe it was just our luck that we got this particular room. We booked through hotel.com. Comfort was fine, with the above exception. We paid 160.33 2 yrs. ago.

WOW...Dimond Center Hotel is my favorite in Anch!

Although now I use hotwire for booking all hotels in Anc. You can't beat their offers. Just 3 days ago I got the Extended Stay Deluxe in Midtown for $60 including taxes. It had a sofa/sleeper in 1 room with a tv/dvd, a king bed in it's own room with another tv, and a kitchenette with a fridge, sink, stove, micro,toaster, dishes etc. I wouldn't hesitate again to save possibly $100's and taking a chance on where they put me. They do have a reputation to keep. Days Inn a couple months ago could have been better but then again even for $70 in Anch during the fall is a great rate. They've also put me in the Extended Stay Deluxe downtown a few times in the past year. Biggest complaint I have about there is the very small parking lot.

We stayed at the Fairfield Suites in 2006. It was OK for the night -- clean, quiet, nice front desk staff. We paid about $165 and I thought it was highway robbery, but the other hotels at that time were $200+.

I don't recall a steakhouse near us, but the touristy restaurant (Wildberry?) sent a free shuttle, and we went there for dinner.

We had to leave early for the train to Seward the next morning, so we didn't get to enjoy the free breakfast.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay there, but you may indeed find a better deal on Hotwire or even the Motel 6, which is next door.

My DH and I stayed here 2 yrs ago before our land tour. It was and still is(I think) across from a chain steak place that was very good. I don't remember the name of the restaurant. We did have to cross a major highway but we felt the walk would do us good after a long flight. Anyway, the curtains on the windows were only sheers. The heavy curtains were just decorative at the far ends of the large window. It stayed light outside to some crazy early morning time. I used a hair clip to pull the decorative curtain as close to closed as I could. We were so tired we didn't want to call the front desk. We just wanted sleep. I had posted this info when I returned from our trip, but some woman didn't believe me.. :rolleyes: You may want to call ahead of time. Maybe it was just our luck that we got this particular room. We booked through hotel.com. Comfort was fine, with the above exception. We paid 160.33 2 yrs. ago.

That woman would be me. :D Since you didn't call the front desk, you'll never know if only your room was missing the room-darkening curtains, or if you just couldn't figure out how to close them.

We are staying at Comfort Inn - Ship Creek. Any thoughts on this hotel or it's location would be appreciated. We won't have a car, so we want to be centrally located.

Thanks for the input

This is an excellent location, especially if taking the train.

I don't recall a steakhouse near us, but the touristy restaurant (Wildberry?) sent a free shuttle, and we went there for dinner.

QUOTE]

This is the Mining Company. Very good restaurant, great halibut and corn fritters. The Alaska Wildberry Products store is across the street. They have some fantastic products. :)

So, for those flying in to ANC and just staying over then catching the train the following morning, is the Comfort Inn-Ship Creek the best option? Are there others just as convenient? Any that offer an airport shuttle? How much is a taxi to that part of ANC from the airport?

Thanks

So' date=' for those flying in to ANC and just staying over then catching the train the following morning, is the Comfort Inn-Ship Creek the best option? Are there others just as convenient? Any that offer an airport shuttle? How much is a taxi to that part of ANC from the airport?

Thanks[/quote']

I've used the Ramada on Muldoon which does have free airport and depot shuttles. Nice rooms, but outside of downtown, they run shuttles there too, but have never used them. Bonus is the laundry that works out well while someone picks up/returns the rental car. :)

So' date=' for those flying in to ANC and just staying over then catching the train the following morning, is the Comfort Inn-Ship Creek the best option? Are there others just as convenient? Any that offer an airport shuttle? How much is a taxi to that part of ANC from the airport?

Thanks[/quote']

I'd recommend the Comfort Inn - Ship Creek since you can walk to the train depot.

We are staying at Comfort Inn - Ship Creek. Any thoughts on this hotel or it's location would be appreciated. We won't have a car, so we want to be centrally located.

Thanks for the input

Great choice! Being a local I would choose to put guests there... couple of reasons, free shuttle to downtown (3 blocks up a hill) - next to the Ulu Factory, next to the river where you can watch salmon fishing along the shores during the 'runs'. Downer - if you are a light sleeper, this hotel is very near the AK railroad and inbetween tracks that are used with heavy freightloads to barges. So the shaking you may feel if any, would not be an earthquake. :-)

Great choice! Being a local I would choose to put guests there... couple of reasons, free shuttle to downtown (3 blocks up a hill) - next to the Ulu Factory, next to the river where you can watch salmon fishing along the shores during the 'runs'. Downer - if you are a light sleeper, this hotel is very near the AK railroad and inbetween tracks that are used with heavy freightloads to barges. So the shaking you may feel if any, would not be an earthquake. :-)

Melodyina, What is your second choice. This hotel is sold out the nights that I will be in anchorage.

Archived