3 cunarders leaving NYC 13th jan

southwestie

I was on the Explorer of the Seas until this morning. Last night (Saturday) looked like the Mary off of our starboard side-about 10 miles. Gained on us (after 20:00) then left us in her wake. When we backed in to Bayonne I saw QM2 over in Brooklyn. Would have liked to have gone back in tonight to see the show but I am exhausted.

Lots and lots of people at LSP on the promenade in front of the Statue of Liberty. Everybody there by 7:00PM as that's when the ships were supposed to be there. They were to have left at 6:30pm from their respective berths. The only one in sight was the QM2. She did leave Bklyn at 6:30 and was off the Battery at 7:00. No sign of the QV or QE2. Time kept passing with no other ships in sight. At 7:50 there were some small fireworks off the Battery area by the QM2 and that was it. The QV finally came in sight up the river about 8:00PM. By this time most had been outside for over an hour and freezing. It then started to rain.

No idea why the QV and QE either did not leave their berths at 6:30 or had not made it to the Battery by 8:00PM Too bad it did not go off according to the time schedule. Lots of little kids overheard asking when the ships were going to be there and when the fireworks were going to start. I know they eventually had fireworks but by that time I left.

Bon voyage

The views from the Zephyr were fantastic as the three magnificent ships sailed past. I can think of no other event that would keep so many of us out on a cold and rainy winter's night as something this spectacular. The camaraderie of those of us on the Zephyr combined with the sight of the three Queens leaving under a backdrop of fireworks over the Manhattan skyline is an event that will be cherished forever. The only thing that might possibly have been better would have been to be aboard one of the Queens for this historic event.

Bettie

The views from the Zephyr were fantastic as the three magnificent ships sailed past. I can think of no other event that would keep so many of us out on a cold and rainy winter's night as something this spectacular. The camaraderie of those of us on the Zephyr combined with the sight of the three Queens leaving under a backdrop of fireworks over the Manhattan skyline is an event that will be cherished forever. The only thing that might possibly have been better would have been to be aboard one of the Queens for this historic event.

Bettie

Yep. Sure. But then we would have missed seeing all three together. Or all being together to toast the Queens and cheer them on as QE2's horn blew them all out of the water (so to speak).

I had a ball!

M-L

Yep. Sure. But then we would have missed seeing all three together. Or all being together to toast the Queens and cheer them on as QE2's horn blew them all out of the water (so to speak).

I had a ball!

M-L

Okay, I'll modify the last sentence: The only thing that might possibly have been better would have been for our group to be together aboard one of the Queens for this historic event.

No idea why the QV and QE either did not leave their berths at 6:30 or had not made it to the Battery by 8:00PM

I understand that the fueling of QE2 took longer than anticipated, which caused the delay. We were out on the Circle Line and followed the two down the Hudson. Security stopped us at the Colgate Clock. What a sight - so glad we drove up. I've got to sort through my pics/video to see what I have.

Lots and lots of people at LSP on the promenade in front of the Statue of Liberty. Everybody there by 7:00PM as that's when the ships were supposed to be there. They were to have left at 6:30pm from their respective berths. The only one in sight was the QM2. She did leave Bklyn at 6:30 and was off the Battery at 7:00. No sign of the QV or QE2. Time kept passing with no other ships in sight. At 7:50 there were some small fireworks off the Battery area by the QM2 and that was it. The QV finally came in sight up the river about 8:00PM. By this time most had been outside for over an hour and freezing. It then started to rain.

No idea why the QV and QE either did not leave their berths at 6:30 or had not made it to the Battery by 8:00PM Too bad it did not go off according to the time schedule. Lots of little kids overheard asking when the ships were going to be there and when the fireworks were going to start. I know they eventually had fireworks but by that time I left.

Bon voyage

What I did to avoid exactly what you describe was to park in the Charthouse parking lot in Weehawken until I saw the QV leave. Then I went down to Liberty Park and did not have to wait so long. I was just depressed that I wasn't still on board the Queen Victoria. :(

Archived