Currency on board?

Tintown

All the ships, in all the world use US dollars as their currency. Freighters, Cruise Ships, Ocean Liners, tramp steamers, etc.

A few ships are starting to accept Euros, and of course the Purser will have Euros on hand for exchange on a European cruise.

Everyone is right - the USD is the currency on board, which sort of sucks for anyone whose country currency is stronger than the dollar.

The Purser's desk can exchange money and there is usually a ATM to the left of the desk (or it could be at the Shore Excursion Desk) that dispenses currency. It did euros, pounds and dollars on our BI trip.

Charlie

@spikesgirl:

??? It sucks for people whose home currency is stronger than the Dollar? :confused:

I would re-think this statement... The weak USD is the best what can happen to anyone who spends his holidays in the States or a place where the Dollar is the main currency as all goods and services become cheaper (especially if your home currency is Euro or Pounds...) :p

It sucks the other way round (Americans on holiday in Eurocountry) or if you work on ships (in this case it sucks B I G time...):mad:

I do believe Daveco58 may be in error. in stating all ships worldwide using US currency.

Both times I have been on P&O (UK), the on-board currency has been British Pounds.

The Princess brochure shows Sun Princess, operating "down under", using Australian Dollars. (It is is very fine print.)

The ATM machine located next to the Purser's Desk is expensive. Just returned from the Sapphire Princess (Bangkok/Sydney) and the basic exchange rate is lower (commission) and there is a $3.50 transaction fee in addition. Also the machine will only accept 10 bills at a time.

Use only when absolutely necessary. Much better to try to find an ATM ashore.

I do believe Daveco58 may be in error. in stating all ships worldwide using US currency.

Both times I have been on P&O (UK), the on-board currency has been British Pounds.

The Princess brochure shows Sun Princess, operating "down under", using Australian Dollars. (It is is very fine print.)

Okay, but I bet they still pay their staff in USdollars. Fares are quoted in all kinds of currencies. As I said, some ships are accepting Euros, and I suppose Pounds, but trust me, the Purser thinks in Dollars.

All the ships, in all the world use US dollars as their currency. Freighters, Cruise Ships, Ocean Liners, tramp steamers, etc.

A few ships are starting to accept Euros, and of course the Purser will have Euros on hand for exchange on a European cruise.

daveco58,

You are almost right.

There is one cruise line who use £ sterling for their onboard currency and that is P&O.

Funny considering it is simply another branch of the Carnival corp and their other 'British' branded line (Cunard) also use $US as their onboard currency.

Feebee_71 :)

You are correct with respect to Princess which pays their staff in US$. I don't know about other cruiselines.

We were told by an officer during a luncheon on the Royal that Princess Officers are now paid in Euros and crew are still paid in USdollars.

Archived