Can RCI agents put you in better rooms than the website shows?

This is for 3/16/08 out of Galveston on Voyager of the Seas.

My SIL is wanting to join us, but has 5 in her family. IF you put in 4 people nearly every cabin is gone! If I put in 2 she could get plenty of cabins, but the 5th person is left out.:(

Could you guys tell me are the cabins for 2 REALLY only for 2? It is hard to believe they would have THAT many Jr. Suites for 2 only? or are they just wanting to allow 2 only at this late date?

If she called RCI could she possibly get 2 of the cabins and put 3 in one ? Or should we believe what the computer says about what is left?? I didnt know if the agents have more power than my computer mouse?:rolleyes:

thanks for any thoughts!!:)

since you are not too far from your sailing date, i would say that the ship is getting to capacity as far as passengers go. that means that even some of the rooms that may sleep 4 are not being opened to sleep that many because they are reaching their max passenger limit. the only thing you could do is call, sometimes there are more cabins available than what is shown online because they only show 5 of each category at one time.

On our upcoming Legend cruise, they did take off the multiples in a cabin option. However, on our Mariner cruise, it wasn't a problem even close to the sailing date. I think it's completely situational.

If you called RCI and told them your situation, they might be able to accomidate you. I find it somewhat hard to believe that they turn down more money... er... another passenger if staying 3 in a room was the only option for you. Of course, there simply may not be any multiple rooms left. I'd give it a try anyway! :)

On our upcoming Legend cruise, they did take off the multiples in a cabin option. However, on our Mariner cruise, it wasn't a problem even close to the sailing date. I think it's completely situational.

If you called RCI and told them your situation, they might be able to accomidate you. I find it somewhat hard to believe that they turn down more money... er... another passenger if staying 3 in a room was the only option for you. Of course, there simply may not be any multiple rooms left. I'd give it a try anyway! :)

They will turn down more money as you put it. It is not that they want to do it. Legally they cannot. Each ship is allowed a certain number of passengers (lifeboat capacity). Once the ship is near capacity, they will only allow doubles to be booked. If they book too many triples and quads, there will be empty rooms which loses money for them since 1st and 2nd passengers pay more. This happens quite often in the summer months when families cruise. Tht's why it's important for people to book very early if they need more than a double.

I would call RCCL. Sometimes the computer says something but the actual person could help you better.

Let me give you my example. I booked a room on deck 7 and my sister decided to join us, so she tried to book online. When we tried, the computer said only deck 8 and 9 were available. She wanted to be on the deck I am and as close as we could be. So we went ahead and called RCCL, and they found her a cabin right next to mine.

They told us they post some cabins online, expecially the decks that have less bookings. Of course, your case is different, but still, they could help you better than a computer. Call them!

Definitely call RCCL and ask.

However, I called and asked if we could put 4 in a room for 2, because 2 of the people were babies and one could sleep ON the sofa, the other in a pack and play.

I was told that they cannot put 4 people in a room designed for 2, despite the sleeping needs of the people in question.

It would be harder for them to track capacity that way.

It is possible that there are more room available. Just call and ask!

Good luck!

They will turn down more money as you put it. It is not that they want to do it. Legally they cannot. Each ship is allowed a certain number of passengers (lifeboat capacity). Once the ship is near capacity, they will only allow doubles to be booked. If they book too many triples and quads, there will be empty rooms which loses money for them since 1st and 2nd passengers pay more. This happens quite often in the summer months when families cruise. Tht's why it's important for people to book very early if they need more than a double.

Okay, let me restate that, then. (I understand they won't overbook to the point of doing anything illegal / exceeding lifeboat capacity.:rolleyes: ) Yurita, you said it better than I did! :) Sometimes a PERSON can do more for you than a site, so give it a try.:) We were in a similar situation on our Mariner cruise, and they were able to accomidate us in a short time (3 adults in a room). However, on our next Legend cruise, when we inquired about adding another in the room, they apologized and said they wouldn't be able to because there weren't any rooms that could have 3 adults left. Let us know how it works out!

Actually, the numbers are dictated by the amount of souls aboard that the Coast Guard will allow, not the capacity of any given cabin.

The cruise line will turn down reservations for cabins with more than 2 pax because of capacity if there are already cabins reserved with 3/4 pax that will take the numbers up to the alloted amount.

Off topic, this is an argument many have regarding being charged for an infant, even though the infant is small and doesn't take up much space (except the accoutrements), the infant is included in the number of souls onboard, just as a person of any other size. It has absolutely nothing to do with food eaten or souvenirs purchased or bar drinks consumed or dollars gambled.

Other than the family suite, the agents will see the same availability. As another poster mentioned even if a room will hold three, once the ship is getting close to capacity they will limit the triples and quads and only allow doubles.

That is not entirely true -- Just last week there were 3 aft cabins available on the Liberty of the seas via the RCCL agent that were not shown on the website or through other agents.

The website does not always show all of the rooms that are still available on a particular sailing. A call from your TA or, if you are booking on your own, a call to RCI may reveal just what rooms are actually available. As others have said, however, there are occasions when the cruiseline is unable to book additional people into a stateroom even if it is able to accommodate that number of people. If RCI has told you that they cannot offer any rooms for 4 on your cruise, that is probably the end of discussion.:)

Archived