Cigars On Millennium

ORV

Does anyone that has been on Millennium lately know exactly where the location is that is designated for smokiing cigars.

I'm looking for a simple fact here, not a discussion on the pros and cons of smoking. Let's please try to keep it at that. :)

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies. I had read the 8:00 or 8:30 till- 1:00 times somewhere and was wondering if it was restricted during the day. I called X CS today to ask them and they said there was no time restriction, just a location restriction. I'm okay with the place but to place a time restriction on it would be a deal killer.

From what I've read though with the Customer Service departments of various cruise lines you can get a different answer for the same question every day of the week.

Thanks for the replies. I had read the 8:00 or 8:30 till- 1:00 times somewhere and was wondering if it was restricted during the day. I called X CS today to ask them and they said there was no time restriction, just a location restriction. I'm okay with the place but to place a time restriction on it would be a deal killer.

I did not plan to make a comment on this thread when you merely asked the location of where you might be permitted to smoke a cigar.

HOWEVER, you have now ADDED it would be a "DEAL KILLER" if you were also to be restricted as to TIME of day (which includes HOW OFTEN, HOW LONG, etc.) you might smoke a cigar or cigars.

THEREFORE, those of us who find your cigar smoking to be so noxious as to absolutely ruin our enjoyment of our cruise because you are occupying a prime location on deck at any time you choose SHOULD SPEAK UP.

IF CELEBRITY GRANTS YOU THE "PRIVILEGE" TO SMOKE CIGARS AT ANY TIME WITHOUT RESTRICTION where it will impact so many nonsmokers, then the financial credits that Celebrity offered us (due to cigar smoking ruining another cruise) will go unused and we will not cruise on any Celebrity ship that allows you to do that.

Cigars take a long time to smoke, in addition to the fact they stink so badly they make many people nauseous.

It's a deal killer for us nonsmokers who despise the odor of cigars, too.

Listen up, Celebrity. There are more people who are disgusted by the odor of cigars than there are cigar smokers.

As I understand it - you can smoke Cigars at at least one of the pool bars during the day. I belive the one near the Solarium. The rest of the time it is deck 10 aft port side after 8 or 8:30. Cigars are sold from a small cabinet by the exit.

I am a cigar smoker and I will grant you cheap cigars or constantly relit cigars are odiferous - a good cigar has a very pleasant smell. I smoked cigarettes for over 20 years and quit in 1988 - I can't stand the smell of cigarettes in closed places - BUT Id rather see a cigar smoker than some drunk chain smoking smelly cigarettes that appear to have been made from camel excrement any day

...I had read the 8:00 or 8:30 till- 1:00 times somewhere and was wondering if it was restricted during the day... I'm okay with the place but to place a time restriction on it would be a deal killer...

OK Now I'm confused. So you can or you can't smoke cigars on the aft deck during the day?

I believe that, no, you can not smoke on the aft deck during the day.

The daily from our Sept Millennium cruise lists the common smoking areas and indicated specifically that is limited to cigarettes. Then goes on to make a limited exception by stating:

However, those who enjoy cigars or pipes are welcome to the ocean Bar cafe, Resort Deck 10 aft, port side, from 8:00PM until 12 Midnight.
This is in the general section titled "Smoking/Non-Smoking". I think the policies have been the same on recent M-Class cruises.

Reading this I clearly interpret that cigar smoking is not allowed by the pool bar, nor is it allowed anywhere before 8PM. The 8PM rule for the aft area is logical - during the day and early evening that area is commonly used for outdoor eating as it is adjacent to the cafe dining areas. While the buffets there are not open in the evening it is common for people to make an informal dinner there with pizza, pasta, salads and sushi which are available buffet style in the evening.

I've heard that Micheal's Club was originally a cigar bar when the ships were first launched, but they have not been since our first Celebrity Cruise in 2004.

ORV - Sorry this is a "deal killer" for you, but perhaps it could be that Cruising on Celebrity is not for you?

Thanks for the replies, even those with an agenda. But let's not let this thread degrade to the usual vitriol the pleasure police tend to spew. I'm only trying to find out the rules so I can decide whether to book or not. I have no trouble abiding by the rules if know what they are. Or choose to spend my money elsewhere.

At this point I'll have to take what I've been told by the customer service agent. I'll see if I can get them to fax it in writing before I book. Then I'd know for sure.

Lsimon, you said "Reading this I clearly interpret that cigar smoking is not allowed by the pool bar, nor is it allowed anywhere before 8PM. "

Is this said specifically or as you said is this your interpretation because that's what you want it to be?

One can also read this as this area is open to cigar smoking during this time, not necessarily that it is prohibited at all other times.

Any cigar smokers recently been that definitely know the daytime rules?

Thanks again.

On Millie class ships, at least since Michael's Club was transformed from a cigar bar some two plus years ago, cigar and pipe smoking has been prohibited everywhere, including staterooms and balconies, except the previous mentioned area on Deck 10. That is no interpretation. While specifics differ, the same restrictions exist on all Celebrity ships.

The time restriction may be a new wrinkle but makes sense since that is an eating area and those "aromas" can be a significant annoyance.

Orv - Having recently sailed on several M-class ships, I can tell you that the aft area on Deck 10 is a smoking area, including pipes and cigars, on the port side at all hours. The referenced times are simply an encouragement for fellow smokers to gather, and they sell cigars there from a cart in the evening. On my most recent Constellation sailing in December, there was also cigar smoking allowed at the pool bar, port side, amidships. Regulations vary from ship to ship. I very much miss the times when Michael's Club was still a smoking lounge. On Constellation, it is now entirely non-smoking and is used for Perry Grant's cabaret shows. I believe that Zenith and Galaxy still allow smoking in their Michael's Clubs. Enjoy your cruise and your cigars!

Orv - Having recently sailed on several M-class ships, I can tell you that the aft area on Deck 10 is a smoking area, including pipes and cigars, on the port side at all hours. The referenced times are simply an encouragement for fellow smokers to gather, and they sell cigars there from a cart in the evening.

Before this becomes another 'heated' debate, let's look back over the posts that have already been made.

We have:

A response from X via phone that the time restriction does not apply

Other cruisers who's actual on board experience indicates that the time restriction does not apply

The 'vocal majority' who don't want it to happen.

Unfortunately, the vocal majority has a tendency to become quite loud in this debate.

I have a Constellation cruise coming up in 2 days. Since I now understand that I can't smoke the cigar on my balcony I guess I will be 'banished' to the other area. I'm not about to be banished to specific hours. I'll let you know what my experience is.

If you are on the same cruise, are in the area at the same time I am, and have a problem with it, then let's deal with it then by having a conversation with ship staff to determine what is and isn't really allowed.

As I understand it - you can smoke Cigars at at least one of the pool bars during the day. I belive the one near the Solarium. The rest of the time it is deck 10 aft port side after 8 or 8:30. Cigars are sold from a small cabinet by the exit.

I am a cigar smoker and I will grant you cheap cigars or constantly relit cigars are odiferous - a good cigar has a very pleasant smell. I smoked cigarettes for over 20 years and quit in 1988 - I can't stand the smell of cigarettes in closed places - BUT Id rather see a cigar smoker than some drunk chain smoking smelly cigarettes that appear to have been made from camel excrement any day

Your understanding is wrong. Aft, Deck 10 is the ONLY location on Celebrity M class ships for smoking cigars. This is from the daily program on our 11/2007 sailing.

Actually SQ no it hasn't. We'll let you know when we need a referee though. There are people on both sides of the issue that view it the way they want to see it. I have emailed Celebrity Customer service with an request for an exact clarification. When and if I get an answer I'll post it here.

Thanks again for the replies.

Orv - Having recently sailed on several M-class ships, I can tell you that the aft area on Deck 10 is a smoking area, including pipes and cigars, on the port side at all hours. The referenced times are simply an encouragement for fellow smokers to gather, and they sell cigars there from a cart in the evening. On my most recent Constellation sailing in December, there was also cigar smoking allowed at the pool bar, port side, amidships. Regulations vary from ship to ship. I very much miss the times when Michael's Club was still a smoking lounge. On Constellation, it is now entirely non-smoking and is used for Perry Grant's cabaret shows. I believe that Zenith and Galaxy still allow smoking in their Michael's Clubs. Enjoy your cruise and your cigars!

The fact that cigar smoking was seen at the pool bar does not mean that it is allowed. People pee in the pool, but that isn't allowed either. The Celebrity policy on cigar smoking is it is only allowed on Deck 10, Aft. If someone smokes a cigar at the pool bar, or anywhere else on the ship, including their stateroom or verandah, they are in violation of the Celebrity policy. The occupants of our neighboring verandah on or last cruise thought it was perfectly fine to smoke cigars on their verandah then leave the stogie to smolder for hours. A simple call to Customer Relations, and they were reminded of the policy and the cigar smoking stopped.

What one BELIEVES, and what is POLICY can very often be two different things.

A very good point. One that 'cuts both ways' .

The occupants of our neighboring verandah on or last cruise thought it was perfectly fine to smoke cigars on their verandah then leave the stogie to smolder for hours.

This is not right, not with cigars anyway. Cigarettes have accelerant in them that keep them burning, cigars do not. A cigar would only burn for a brief time until it went out completely. It would not smolder for hours.

The fact that cigar smoking was seen at the pool bar does not mean that it is allowed. People pee in the pool, but that isn't allowed either. The Celebrity policy on cigar smoking is it is only allowed on Deck 10, Aft. If someone smokes a cigar at the pool bar, or anywhere else on the ship, including their stateroom or verandah, they are in violation of the Celebrity policy. The occupants of our neighboring verandah on or last cruise thought it was perfectly fine to smoke cigars on their verandah then leave the stogie to smolder for hours. A simple call to Customer Relations, and they were reminded of the policy and the cigar smoking stopped.

And what one wishes was the policy is different yet. Guest relations approved of cigar smoking on all open decks, port side, on my 12/7/07 sailing on the Constellation, including at the pool bar. I know because I personally inquired so as to not break any rules. And how quaint of you to compare urine with smoke.

...only before it is lit. :)

Smells far better unlit -

For the record - I don't personally see what the big deal about Cuban Cigars are - Personally the Dominican cigars have flavor and taste and a decent smell - at USUALLY but not always a cheaper price

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on Michael's Bar. As I understand it, they were set up as cigar bars on the M Class ships. Then, Celebrity decided to change it into a regular bar, (non cigar).

I really don't understand this logic. They had most of the cigar smokers in one area , away from others. That to me satisfies those who like to smoke and those who can't stand the smell of cigars.

So why change it? On my cruises last year I found the bar pretty well empty. ???

Archived