Cigars On Millennium

ORV

Having just returned I can state that cigar smoke was everywhere. We had a suite on deck 6 and we could not open the door to the balcony for 15 days without cigar smoke coming in from neighboring rooms, the pool deck above, etc. Celebrity was not enforcing any conditions and numerous South Americans aboard smoked cigars, especially Havana cigars. It was a major complaint for many of us.

As for Michael's Club, it is no longer used as a cigar bar on Infinity.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me on Michael's Bar. As I understand it, they were set up as cigar bars on the M Class ships. Then, Celebrity decided to change it into a regular bar, (non cigar).

I really don't understand this logic. They had most of the cigar smokers in one area , away from others. That to me satisfies those who like to smoke and those who can't stand the smell of cigars.

So why change it? On my cruises last year I found the bar pretty well empty. ???

I wish I understood as well. These rooms were designed with superior ventilation expressly for use as Cigar Bars. They were always well used and kept the smokers away from sensitive noses. Every other first class ship has such an area dedicated to smokers with no complaints. But Celebrity, in their infinite wisdom has decided to move it outdoors, into a dining area, of all places! On Constellation they have Perry Grant playing there in the evenings to packed crowds. But on most of the other ships these glorious rooms languish as an empty space to times gone by.

Michael's Club on Infinity was a beautiful cigar bar. Our experience (albeit on only two cruises on Infinity) was that it was underutilized as a cigar bar. Many times, my wife and I would find ourselves as the only smokers in the club. We have now gone to outide smoking in the designated area or on our balcony. Michael's now also seems to be under utilized as just a regular piano bar.

The Smoking Policy as stated in the Celebrity Cruise Vacation Guide received for a Millie cruise leaving Sun 1/20. This is most likely on the web site also.

"For the comfort of all our guests, designated smoking and nonsmoking areas are available throughout the vessel. Cigar and pipe smoking is only permitted on the ship's outer decks. All dining areas are nonsmoking. All showrooms are nonsmoking during performances. Smoking is permitted only on the starboard side of lounges and open decks. As a courtesy to our guests, ship personnel will thoroughly enforce the smoking policy. Smoking is not permitted on the cruisetour motorcoaches."

That doesn't address the time issue. My TA thinks that the 8-midnight rule is the policy. I still haven't received an answer from Celebrity by email but my hotmail account is having issues today and I can't check it. As of 3 o; clock or so today I hadn't heard from them.

Interesting the information you have says starboard side and everyone else says port. That sure is going to create some issues huh?

Your understanding is wrong. Aft, Deck 10 is the ONLY location on Celebrity M class ships for smoking cigars. This is from the daily program on our 11/2007 sailing.

On our Millenium Cruise in August -there were stogie smokers at the pool bar in the afternoon and no one complained. Personaly, since I smoke 1 cigar per day on a cruise - I welcome the evening interlude along with the glass of Fonseca Port and a nice cup of coffee.

On our Millenium Cruise in August -there were stogie smokers at the pool bar in the afternoon and no one complained. Personaly, since I smoke 1 cigar per day on a cruise - I welcome the evening interlude along with the glass of Fonseca Port and a nice cup of coffee.

From a practical standpoint, in many outside places like this the crew won't often ask you to stop unless someone complains - they don't want to upset you and loose potential tips or appear less than courteous. Many times people will not complain even if it is bothering them as ....well sometimes people don't like to complain. So I guess it is up to the smoker to determine if they are going to light up despite the announced policies published in the daily bulletin and see if someone complains and if they get caught, or to just see if they can "get away with it".

Personally I don't care as long as it is truly not bothering me. Most smokers I run into on the ship are very cautious and are careful not to disturb me or others. But I have run into people who are not that way - last March there was someone smoking a cigar on the aft deck (discussed above) but on the starboard side of the bar. That particular spot is on the non-smoking side, was out of the wind so the smoke wasn't blowing away, and it was bothering my wife and I who were out there trying to enjoy the evening. I asked him if he wouldn't mind moving to the smoking side and he indicated that we would mind as in his opinion the entire bar is smoking. There were open seats at the bar on the other side and plenty of open tables in the smoking area. It wouldn't have hurt him to move even if he did believe he was in an OK area (which he was not) but he choose to stay and disrupt us. We left as I'm not one to run and find an officer and complain in a situation like that.

The Smoking Policy as stated in the Celebrity Cruise Vacation Guide received for a Millie cruise leaving Sun 1/20. This is most likely on the web site also.

"For the comfort of all our guests, designated smoking and nonsmoking areas are available throughout the vessel. Cigar and pipe smoking is only permitted on the ship's outer decks. All dining areas are nonsmoking. All showrooms are nonsmoking during performances. Smoking is permitted only on the starboard side of lounges and open decks. As a courtesy to our guests, ship personnel will thoroughly enforce the smoking policy. Smoking is not permitted on the cruisetour motorcoaches."

So if a person wanted to interpret this any way they wanted to then you would say cigar and pipe smoking is allowed anywhere at anytime on the ship's outer decks. Or at least the starboard side. According to this, which I think is possibly a typo.

To be very clear, once again, I just to determine the official policy where I can follow it, unless of course I find the official policy to not be my idea of the type of vacation I want to spend my money on, then I'll patronize elsewhere.

I've emailed Celebrity CS again to try to get an answer. I'll update when and if I do.

Celebrity's website under the FAQ's regarding smoking:

What is your onboard smoking policy?

Subject: Ship and Stateroom Details

Cigarette Smoking is permitted:

• In staterooms.

• In designated areas on the port (left) side of most public areas (Lounges, Bars, Decks).

Cigarette Smoking is not permitted:

• In the Celebrity Theater.

• In the Cinema.

• In the Conference Center.

• In the Dining Room.

• In the Elevators.

• On the starboard (right) side of the ship, either indoors or outdoors.

Pipe and Cigar Smoking:

• Pipe and cigar smoking is only allowed in specifically

designated areas on outer decks of the vessel.

• Please check with the Guest Relations Desk for these specific venues.

• Please note that at no time is cigar and pipe smoking permitted in staterooms/suites or on their verandas.

We found that the cruise vacation guide had some old info in other areas so I would not rely on the info in there as being current.

Here is an excerpt from an email I just got from my TA concerning this matter. I'm going to accept this as the official stance of Celebrity unless I receive an email from them stating differently. Hopefully this will put this issue to rest for good.

"You can smoke cigars at any time on the Outer decks Sunrise & Resort deck port side only ~

Oceanview Bar on the Resort deck you can smoke cigars between the hours 8:30pm to Midnight port side only. (I got the Celebrity agent to call the ship directly!)"

Here is an excerpt from an email I just got from my TA concerning this matter. I'm going to accept this as the official stance of Celebrity unless I receive an email from them stating differently. Hopefully this will put this issue to rest for good.

"You can smoke cigars at any time on the Outer decks Sunrise & Resort deck port side only ~

Oceanview Bar on the Resort deck you can smoke cigars between the hours 8:30pm to Midnight port side only. (I got the Celebrity agent to call the ship directly!)"

On the Century and Constellation if you are standing outside the Buffet doors in the pool area, facing forward. Smoking was to my left (port side) at all hours of the day and night. Cigars I saw being used, pipes I didn't. Doesn't mean there wasn't, just that I didn't see them. Starboard side from noon to 5 pm (or was 6 pm?) was eating for burgers and hot dogs and such.

I don't mean to kick the hornets nest one more time, but....aren't those two sentences contradictory in themselves in so far as they way they reference the Resort deck areas? One says anytime one says that it is from 8:30 to midnight.

I don't mean to kick the hornets nest one more time, but....aren't those two sentences contradictory in themselves in so far as they way they reference the Resort deck areas? One says anytime one says that it is from 8:30 to midnight.

I have to wonder what they are calling the Oceanview Bar? On the deck plan I can find the Oceanview cafe and the Oceanview grill. But no Oceanview bar. I know at the back of the Oceanview grill there is the bar. But it's not listed as the Oceanview bar. If that is the case then I can see where it's not contradictory at all.

I see the outer decks on the resort and sunrise decks as like I discribe. Right outside the aft elevators port side open to smokers during the day, all day. While the "Oceanview Bar" is kept for those to eat during the day. After 8pm most people have ate, so smokers can then move out in the "Bar area, but only port side to sit around the bar and smoke. Two different places one open all the time. one open later for a more relaxed outside bar.

Archived