Help! 2 teen boys on formal night!

CMK1970

:eek: UGH...I really want us to participate on Holidays formal night BUT I have 2 teens 18 & 15 that do not own any dress pants or ties...they own khakis but I assume this is a no-no..

I have a DD13 that will love to dress up..we already have dresses we can wear but I would hate to have the boys eat at the buffet while we dine elsewhere..to me this is a family vacation!

So...should I just suck it up and buy them new dress clothes or let them off the hook to eat at the buffet or pizza place??

They are growing up so fast and time is precious....

:eek: UGH...I really want us to participate on Holidays formal night BUT I have 2 teens 18 & 15 that do not own any dress pants or ties...they own khakis but I assume this is a no-no..

I have a DD13 that will love to dress up..we already have dresses we can wear but I would hate to have the boys eat at the buffet while we dine elsewhere..to me this is a family vacation!

So...should I just suck it up and buy them new dress clothes or let them off the hook to eat at the buffet or pizza place??

My son is 7 and has no dress pants- he will be wearing khakis- I am not buying pants just for the cruise. As long as they are not in jeans it will not be a problem!!!

khakis will be fine with a button up shirt and a tie. You can get these real cheap at Walmart or a second hand store. That is what I did for my boys 12 and 14. We got a nice family picture. After the dinner my boys ran and changed and met their friends. Have a great cruise:)

My son is 7 and has no dress pants- he will be wearing khakis- I am not buying pants just for the cruise. As long as they are not in jeans it will not be a problem!!!

Thanks esttea...it seems like every time I turn around they are growing out of the pants, shoes and shirts:eek: I'm just concerned with the formal night..there have been so many heated post lately about what is the right and wrong thing to wear...this is our first cruise so I want all to go well..

The boys really dont like ties but they would wear button downs and nice pants BUT I'm not sure if this is acceptable:(

This was the reason I was thinking of letting them eat on the lido deck..then again it would be so nice to have all of us at a formal affair:)

Thanks so much for posting!

khakis will be fine with a button up shirt and a tie. You can get these real cheap at Walmart or a second hand store. That is what I did for my boys 12 and 14. We got a nice family picture. After the dinner my boys ran and changed and met their friends. Have a great cruise:)

Thanks prttygirlmss, our posts overlapped, LOL! I feel silly for even worrying about it but I want our first cruise to be special...

TY again for your advice:)

Khakis are JUST FINE!!!! My son and his friend wore those. Mine wore a long sleeve button up shirt from Hollister, not super dressy and no tie. They were JUST FINE!!! Don't go crazy buying new clothes for kids that they will never wear again, that's just silly.

I'm touring on the pacific sun on the 2nd feb 08, Just wondering if on the formal nights kids are able to attend. Going by this they are but i have been told be others that they may not be. I have a 9 and 11 year old. would love them to dress up with their mum for once (as i never usually wear dresses lol

) and dance with me!!

Another option...we just did 11 nights cruising with a 15 and 12 yr old boys..

(I pass dress clothes down from one son to the next too..know what you mean about growing FAST)

Lands End has a Navy hopsack blazer--looks great with pressed kackies and a tie. My guys both wore this kind of thing on semi-formal nights...it goes to size 20--which would probably fit your 15 yr old.

..the 20 fit our 14 yr old--he's very tall and thin...Our 12 yr old wore a 14 I think

here's the link

http://www.landsend.com/pp/HopsackBlazer~107029_1189.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::DNV&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search

and

we rented them tuxes--they each wore then 4x..It was like &5 for 11 nights...arrived in the cabin ...check tux rental. It was easy and fun

you do the measurements and fill it in online--

I'm touring on the pacific sun on the 2nd feb 08, Just wondering if on the formal nights kids are able to attend. Going by this they are but i have been told be others that they may not be. I have a 9 and 11 year old. would love them to dress up with their mum for once (as i never usually wear dresses lol

) and dance with me!!

I can't imagine that kids would not be able to attend. If so, this is line or ship specific. The only place where I have seen age restrictions is at some of the specialty restaurants but never in the main dining room.

My boys are 14 and 16, and they will be wearing Dockers type pants, black or khaki, and long sleeved dress shirts with ties.

Sorry, I'm not buying 2 suits, and dress shoes, just for the cruise. They will be wearing leather "sketcher" shoes, but they are the kind that you can wear with a nice pair of jeans too, so they will be used more than once!

As long as they look nice and "dressed up", I don't think anyone will mind, I know I wouldn't!

My boys are 14 and 16, and they will be wearing Dockers type pants, black or khaki, and long sleeved dress shirts with ties.

Sorry, I'm not buying 2 suits, and dress shoes, just for the cruise. They will be wearing leather "sketcher" shoes, but they are the kind that you can wear with a nice pair of jeans too, so they will be used more than once!

As long as they look nice and "dressed up", I don't think anyone will mind, I know I wouldn't!

I couldn't agree with you more! I could not even tell you what anyone was wearing. We went in had our dinner and I did not look around. We got a nice family picture and then my boys went and changed. Have a great cruise!

Took our 15 and 17 year old last year. I bought 1 pair of black dress pants and brought 2 dress shirts and a tie for each. They can wear the pants x 2 even if they spilled something, they're black. I also bought suit coats however they were off after the dinner picture. Don't spend the money. Also Khaki pants were just fine. One pair of loafer style shoes. I also bought polo type shirts, 2 each which they haven't worn since. They enjoyed buying the Island shirt's in Jamaica and wore those on Caribbean night, and back home.

JCPenneys has some great sales, especially after Christmas.

Just have fun, that's what it's all about.

Happy Sailing.

Just got DS shirt, tie, pants, and belt in JC Penny, buy one get one 50% off.

I won't buy hima suit. We have been on several cruises. He wears khakis for regular dinners and black or navy dress pants for formal night. He will wear them again for Easter and Communions this year. Atleast he'll wear a few times before the next growth spurt.

Happy Cruising,

Dayna

Archived