What is the alternative restaurant "cover charge"

Go-Bucks!

What is the "cover charge" for alternative restaurants? Meal charge or gratuity?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What is the "cover charge" for alternative restaurants? Meal charge or gratuity?

• Meal charge (I leave additional gratuity)
    • Gratuity

I can't decide whether the "cover charge" for the alternative restaurants (Sabitini's, Bayou Cafe, Sterling Steakhouse) is the cost of the meal or the gratuity. If it's the cost of the meal, then an additional gratuity should be left.

What do you all think? Do you leave a tip or is the charge the tip??

I think it's both as well. To cover the higher quality of meal that is served as well as gratuity for more personal service. And of course if the service has been exceptional, additional gratuity is warranted.

We have always tipped extra as our service has always been outstanding. Well I take that back, I do think we tipped but on HAL our server thought it was his job to use a phony french accent, it drove all 6 of us nuts, plus the service was just so so. In fact for $30 a person we were not at all impressed. I know Princess will be better.

Nita

The Cruise FAQ's show on the Travel Channel said that the cover charge is for the gratuity, and no additional is needed.
The Travel Channel (per usual) isn't quite correct. The cover charge includes the gratuity and no additional is needed, but it also covers the meal. I've found that you get very personalized service in the Specialty restaurants -- moreso than in the dining room -- and the food is definitely superior.

I really appreciate all the input. Thank you!!

When my friend and I ate at the Sterling Steakhouse on Sun Princess, the Maitre d' inferred that a tip was expected but we couldn't put it on our ship account - it had to be cash. We were very embarassed (we had no cash on us) so we went back to our cabin after dinner and took some cash back to the waiter. After that, we began wondering what the $15 cover charge was actually for. We'll be trying Sabitini's and Bayou Cafe on the Coral next, so I didn't want to have any misunderstandings again.

Thanks again. :)

Archived