$50 to ship docs 25 miles

KalenaD

I find this more comical than annoying. Just another example of big business spending money when they could be saving it.

I live in Carnation Washington, about 25 miles from downtown Seattle, and HAL's offices. My TA works for a large company who's main office is in Florida. When I asked her if HAL can send my docs directly to me she said that HAL will charge a $50 "document fee".

So basically what that means is my docs will go from Seattle to Florida then back again to my house.

She says she's tried to explain this to them for other clients, she used to live in Washington, and has several clients from here, but they won't budge.

Wonder what the cost in shipping is to send the docs 25 miles instead of cross country and back?

Guess my docs will do more travelling that I will, since this is for a Mexico cruise leaving San Diego.:rolleyes:

Sounds to me like the charge is for exceptional, non routine, processing.

It is increasingly common in all businesses. And interestingly, the exception is often the more efficient than business as usual.

Can anyone say Six Sigma?

It is entirely possible that docs don't ship from Seattle, but from some printing plant in Fargo or Bangalore. Nice try though.

It is so easy and convenient (and not TOO expensive) to overnight stuff, that advance planning is not rewarded. Darn you FedEx!

Cheers

Mark

It is entirely possible that docs don't ship from Seattle, but from some printing plant in Fargo or Bangalore. Nice try though.

It is so easy and convenient (and not TOO expensive) to overnight stuff, that advance planning is not rewarded. Darn you FedEx!

Cheers

Mark

Good point, Mark.

I know that getting the docs is a HUGE part of the entire experience. However, not once did anyone ask to see our docs, on any of our cruises. Not once. They wanted our passport and boarding pass.

I do not bring the docs to the cruise ship, anymore and never had a problem. The docs do however, give us something to play, with while we count down the days.

However, not once did anyone ask to see our docs, on any of our cruises. Not once. They wanted our passport and boarding pass.
For folks flying HAL air and/or using a HAL transfers from the airport to the pier, there are vouchers in the little booklet that are needed. And the bag tags are needed. The rest of it immediately gets tossed in a drawer at our house!

I also live in Carnation! I booked directly with HAL and if I remember correctly, the documents were shipped from Seattle. It's just another example of the fact that if you book with a TA, HAL will not ship things directly to you or deal with you; just your TA.

You don't need the docs, unless there's a voucher in there, but it's fun to get your pretty blue folder!

Being new to this and getting a bit toey, I called my TA to find out when to expect our docs because we leave the country in 10 days (4 of them weekend, 1 public holiday) but we don't join the cruise for another 4 days after that. She said that HAL really dig in on sending docs out earlier than two weeks prior to departure and won't be moved on the issue, despite clients travellilng pre-cruise.

HAL told her that the docs left Seattle on Wednesday and will take 3 Working Days to get to my TA in Australia; then they have to get to me 1200 km away. IF I want to have the docs available at the wharf, I have to spring another US$75 for the privilege! Method in their (money) madness. :rolleyes:

She said that HAL really dig in on sending docs out earlier than two weeks prior to departure and won't be moved on the issue, despite clients travellilng pre-cruise.

HAL told her that the docs left Seattle on Wednesday and will take 3 Working Days to get to my TA in Australia; then they have to get to me 1200 km away. IF I want to have the docs available at the wharf, I have to spring another US$75 for the privilege! Method in their (money) madness. :rolleyes:

Unless there is some reason HAL delays sending International, I'd question this. Our (Seattle area) TA had our docs a good 6 weeks before our upcoming cruise. I understand that if HAL is doing the air portion the docs go out just a few weeks before, but otherwise.....

Unless there is some reason HAL delays sending International, I'd question this. Our (Seattle area) TA had our docs a good 6 weeks before our upcoming cruise. I understand that if HAL is doing the air portion the docs go out just a few weeks before, but otherwise.....

It's a strange thing to my mind too - I completed the on-line stuff at the beginning of December. It might have something to do with the fact that I have had 3 Team Leaders looking after my account at the TA (big name mob, by the way). Can't imagine why else the docs are so late leaving the States. (to self - don't panic, don't panic, don't panic - yet!!!)

I guess I didn't make myself very clear. I'm not worried about getting my docs, nor am I upset about the $50, I'll just wait a bit longer for them, and my cruise isn't for 3 months.

I just think it's funny that they don't want to save any money by sending them to a much closer address.

All the documents I have ever gotten from HAL have shipped from Seattle.

6rugrats, HELLO from a neighbor!!! I book with a TA because she is a good friend of mine and gives me great service and a much better price than I have ever been able to get from HAL directly. She just moved from Chehalis (thankfully before the floods) but the company she works for is headquartered in Florida. I like to get the folder too!! I also keep one of the luggage tags as a momento of my cruise.

Tredebo, Hal did the same thing to my mom for her cruise in December. She lives in Las Vegas and somehow her docs got lost. They promised to send replacements the next day after her TA talked to them. Funny, because the post mark from HAL wasn't for 4 days after the phone call and it wasn't a weekend.

Like other posters have said, they are nice to have but you will still be able to get on the ship without them.

Good Luck!!!

Krazy Kruiser, I'm not paying the $50, I'll just wait for them to make thier cross country journey before they get here.

I can gaurantee from first hand experience that you do not need any documents HAL sends you, as long as you do the online preboard on the HAL website. We were charged $100 for document replacement by HAL and we had book our cruise directly with HAL. The docs went missing and Seattle insisted we had to have them to board. Total nonsense. No one ever asked to see the documents, ever.

If you have a pre-cruise package there might be a voucher you need. Otherwise no reason to spend extra money unless you want the blue folder. HAL's Seattle office will give incorrect information and charge you for it.

I guess I didn't make myself very clear. I'm not worried about getting my docs, nor am I upset about the $50, I'll just wait a bit longer for them, and my cruise isn't for 3 months.

I just think it's funny that they don't want to save any money by sending them to a much closer address.

All the documents I have ever gotten from HAL have shipped from Seattle.

6rugrats, HELLO from a neighbor!!! I book with a TA because she is a good friend of mine and gives me great service and a much better price than I have ever been able to get from HAL directly. She just moved from Chehalis (thankfully before the floods) but the company she works for is headquartered in Florida. I like to get the folder too!! I also keep one of the luggage tags as a momento of my cruise.

Small world, isn't it? We moved here from CA a couple years ago and I love it up here, cold, snow, wind storms, rain and all! Much better to look out my window and see trees then into my neighbor's windows!

I haven't ever found a really good travel agent; that's why I just book myself. You were very clear in your post, but you can see by the responses, that maybe many people just don't read carefully? At least they are concerned and thoughtful!

Being new to this and getting a bit toey, I called my TA to find out when to expect our docs because we leave the country in 10 days (4 of them weekend, 1 public holiday) but we don't join the cruise for another 4 days after that. She said that HAL really dig in on sending docs out earlier than two weeks prior to departure and won't be moved on the issue, despite clients travellilng pre-cruise.

That's really odd that you don't have your documents. We are on the Statendam after you, I guess and I've had the docs for a couple of weeks. My TA, in Vancouver, got them on Christmas Eve but didn't send them to us until after New Year's.

HAL is actually incurring costs to send these to you. Firstly, it means that your docs must be handled on an exception basis, ie a documents clerk will have to pull them out of those being sent to your TA, re route them, and also notify the TA. Secondly, often many passengers docs are sent to the TA at the same time and the courier charges are the same even if they send one less. Then there is the clerical cost individually adressing them to your home address. Fifty dollars may seem high but is is actually very reasonable. Frankly, I do not like the docs-too much useless paper and assorted bumph. The cruise lines only want three things-to know that you have paid for your cruise, a credit card on which to bill your board charges, and finally a passport/identification or other type of required documentation. The rest is filler.

I just hope this is not an omen of some kind, because every other step in this trip has been good. It's official - I don't get my docs until I arrive at the ship. :( The docs didn't arrive at my TA from Seattle. HAL are making them available at the pier (no charge in this case).

I take encouragement from everyone's comments though, so thanks for your input.

My TA told me that HAL are resistant to e-docs and remaining traditional in this respect. Lovely sentiment but in this day and age (computing that is), who knows how long the practice will continue. Que sera sera... As long as my name is on that manifest!

Archived