Hot Water

puggal

First timer cruisin on Mariner in June. This may sound crazy but with everyone getting ready at the same time, do you ever run out of hot water for showering? I think the answer is no but thought I'd ask anyway.

Not crazy at all! I have never had a problem. I think because the ship is built for a lot of capacity and because everyone is not in at the same time (different seatings, different schedules) that it isn't an issue.

there are times when I have found the water is not as hot as other times. Could be the reason, but never had an issue.

Puggal,

Actually I think that's an excellent question (I always wonder about those things myself). The funny thing is when we cruised on Mariner in May (our first cruise ever) I commented to hubby that I was surprised I couldnt' get hotter water. He laughed and showed me how you have to push a button before you turn the dial to get the water hotter than just very warm. LOL Who would have thought?

Erika

You are actually more likely to have water too hot than water too cold. Especially on sea days when they are making water. Remember how they make water... distilling! They have to spend energy (money) to cool it back down to usable temperatures, so it's been my experience on some cruises that tap water is unpleasantly warm (for drinking at least).

This has been especially noticeable when I've gotten up in the middle of the night for a drink of water, etc. Not sure why, perhaps that is when they were making water, or they anticipated fewer users...

Theron

I'm sure their system is similar to any hotel, hot water is continually circulating through the system and rarely a problem. That's why it's right there when you need it, not like at home when you have to wait for it to arrive from the hot water heater:D

so it's been my experience on some cruises that tap water is unpleasantly warm (for drinking at least).

This has been especially noticeable when I've gotten up in the middle of the night for a drink of water, etc. Not sure why, perhaps that is when they were making water, or they anticipated fewer users...

Theron

This is because the pipes do not go into the ground. You will get very cold water on Alaska and other northern cruises. If the ocean is warm your water will be warm.

This is because the pipes do not go into the ground. You will get very cold water on Alaska and other northern cruises. If the ocean is warm your water will be warm.

Ahh... perhaps they use some sort of an ocean water heat exchanger to condense the steam back into liquid... that would make sense, the water could never be any cooler than the seawater at the current location. But I think sometimes at night it has been well over that temperature, maybe they still don't cool it "as much" during the late night hours.

Good question for the ship's engineer at the next Nautical Notes lecture!! :)

Theron

Archived