Which Venice port is used?

mginabq

Hi,

We are on the April 13 sailing of the Regatta from Rome to Venice. Oceania has a tour in Venice for $135 pp that we can book directly with Viator for only $77, but Oceania's includes transport to the departure point and with Viator, we will need to make our own way from the ship to San Marco Square to meet the group.

I have two questions: (1) How can I learn into which port the Regatta will sail on the 12th?; and, (2) once I know that, what is the best way to get from wherever that is to San Marco Square?

We have not been to Venice before and I've looked at the transportation system maps and they are bit overwhelming.

Thanks for any info or advice,

Michelle

I'm not sure you can get a definitive answer on that until arrival. Last year on Regatta, our cruise was ending in VCE. According to the Venice Port Guide, it showed Regatta docking at the smaller San Basilio terminal (on the SW side of the Dorsoduro sestiere where smaller ships can fit). This would have made for easier access to the San Marco area. However, when it was all said & done, we ended up at Stazione Maritima (the main port at the outer edge of Venice proper). I'm not good at distances; but it's a little bit of a walk from the ship to the cruise terminal and/or outside the gates of the port area. It was another little walk to the vaporetto stop. From there you could take one of the many routes to the San Marco stop. Although not the most direct, the one that travels the full length of the Grand Canal is a great way to get your bearings & study the architecture. VCE is an easy walking city (being flat) but alleyways can be confusing. One could walk from the ship to San Marco. But it might take, I don't know, maybe an hour. Such a fascinating city, wish you had more than just the one day.

Becky,

Thanks for the information; looks like I'll have to be content to be prepared for either port.

I agree that one day in Venice isn't enough. We're actually arriving three days before the cruise staying for five after. (The trip is a surprise for my husband's 60th birthday.)

Cheers,

Michelle

I would suspect where Regatta will dock depends on how many other "large" ships are in port that day. The larger ships probably have to dock at Stazione Maritima. The size of O's ships is such that they can use San Basilio if need be.

I'm so thrilled that you will have all those extra days in VCE. You can cover just about every nook & cranny in that amount of time. Your husband is a lucky guy.

We were on the Istanbul to Venice in October last year and there was a shuttle bus provided by Oceania the short distance from the Port into St Marco Square where you could get busses etc to everywhere inc the airport

The fares must be the cheapest anywhere in Europe and a 24hr ticket which included a super bus to the airport was great value

I checked with my TA about 2 months ago and was told that O does not provide any shuttle service from the dock/pier to San Marco. Prompted by the post from phillipahain, I called O this morning and was again told that O does not have any shuttle sevice, but they do have excursions that will take you to San Marco.

My assumption is that shuttles are at no charge, while excursions are certainly not.

I called O this morning and was again told that O does not have any shuttle sevice, but they do have excursions that will take you to San Marco.

Sometime the people in "Res Dept" do not know what goes on in the ports or on the ship.

Several times they have given misleading answers

Thanks very much to all who've answered here; it sounds like we'll wait and see regarding both the port where we'll dock and the free (or not!) shuttle. I feel certain that regardless of where we dock, we can make our way efficiently to San Marco Square by 11:00 AM, though.

:)

Archived